On Tue, Oct 4, 2022 at 3:06 AM Payas Relekar wrote: > Robert Weiner writes: > > > Thanks, Jean. We have started work on a note-taking subsystem for > > Hyperbole that will store UUIDs per note and will likely support > backlinks > > too. We are seeing if we can make it support Koutlines, Emacs Outlines, > > Org mode files and Markdown files, searching across all formats at the > same > > time. The default for creating new notes will likely be a personal > > Koutline file. > > Not Jean, but as someone using Org with Hyperbole, this is a great news! > Good to hear. Maybe you can provide early feedback when it hits the Hyperbole pre-release in the elpa-devel package archive (pre-releases of Hyperbole packaged up from the git master branch tip). > > > We welcome brief summaries of features you need for effective note taking > > in Emacs. We are not looking to do much with images or on mobile > devices, > > just focused on people who spend a lot of time in Emacs and want an > > easy-to-use notes system that does not require any external packages like > > SQLite. > > For my 2c: > > - Multiple small files vs single large file. > I currently have former, with org-roam taking care of finding, linking > and backlinking between files, making it a non-issue to easily build a > network of connected topics/thoughts > Yes. It will search over many files and even recursive directories of files. Org-roam has a good model for rapid searching, so we'll have to consider something similar. It might not be in the first release but will come by the second major release. > > - Daily notes > Every day gets its own note, only generated if visited. This allows > dumping the thoughts at that moment rather than first hunting the > correct node. Then they can be easily filtered into actual topic note, > or just be referenced via backlinks buffer > Each note will have an optional datetime stamp which will be on by default. If you care to make one note per day, you can do that. > > - sqlite might just be better, considering overhead of opening and > parsing hundreds-thousands of small files is non-negligible. > Yes, that is the reason for desiring some kind of database-backed indexing. > > - Refiling > Refile/move the subtree (in Org terms) can be easily moved to another > file and the links automatically point to new location. This means I > can always know rearranging stuff later is a possibility, and its less > cognitive burden to organize. > Yes. The idea is that you initially capture notes into a single default file and then can quickly refile them as needed. > > In short, the framework takes care of organization and makes retrieval > easy and all I have to worry about is the content. > Yes, I think we typically do this throughout Hyperbole, as it is very important to us. Thanks for the thoughts. -- rsw