* How to generate an index?
@ 2014-05-06 18:32 Sharon Kimble
From: Sharon Kimble @ 2014-05-06 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: org-mode

Now I've got the bibliography working I'm looking at getting indexes
to be generated.

Using my long-suffering "cat.org" with this code in my ".emacs"
;; org to latex customisations, -shell-escape needed for minted
(setq org-export-dispatch-use-expert-ui t ; non-intrusive export dispatch
      org-latex-pdf-process		; for regular export
      '("xelatex -shell-escape -interaction nonstopmode -output-directory %o %f"
		"biber %b"
	"xelatex -shell-escape -interaction nonstopmode -output-directory %o %f"
	"xelatex -shell-escape -interaction nonstopmode -output-directory %o %f"))

and this is my "cat.org"
# -*- mode:org; mode:reftex; indent-tabs-mode:nil; tab-width:2 -*-
#+TITLE: Cat on the mat - 2014
#+AUTHOR: Sharon Kimble.
#+LATEX_CMD: xelatex
#+LATEX_CLASS: article
#+LATEX_CLASS_OPTIONS: [a4paper]
#+LaTeX_HEADER: \usepackage{makeidx} %robustindex % Indexing
#+LaTeX_HEADER: \usepackage[backend=biber,style=verbose,style=numeric]{biblatex}
#+LaTeX_HEADER: \bibliography{cat}
#+LATEX_HEADER: \usepackage[colorlinks=true]{hyperref}
\makeindex
\pagebreak
\makeindex
\begin{document}
* Chapter 1
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer \cite{5} adipiscing elit, sed diam nonummy
nibh euismod tincidunt ut laoreet dolore magna aliquam erat volutpat. Ut wisi
enim ad minim veniam \cite{15}.

* Chapter 2
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer \cite{7} adipiscing elit, sed diam
nonummy nibh euismod tincidunt ut laoreet dolore magna\index{magna} aliquam
erat volutpat. Ut wisi enim ad minim veniam,\cite{1} quis nostrud exerci
tation ullamcorper suscipit lobortis nisl ut aliquip ex ea commodo
consequat. Duis autem vel eum iriure dolor in hendrerit in vulputate velit
esse molestie consequat\cite{12}.

\printbibliography

\printindex

\end{document}

And I run "C-c C-e l p" to generate the "cat.tex" and the "cat.pdf",
but no "cat.idx" or "cat.aux" is generated. I've tried running "C-c
C-e l l" three times then generating the "cat.pdf" but I can't get
one generated.

I've googled and looked in the "Org Manual" but haven't found how
to do it. Can anyone help please?

Sharon.
TGmeds = http://www.tgmeds.org.uk
Debian testing, Fluxbox 1.3.5, emacs 24.4.50.19

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: How to generate an index?
@ 2014-05-06 18:53 ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2014-05-06 18:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sharon Kimble; +Cc: org-mode

On Tue, May 6, 2014 at 1:32 PM, Sharon Kimble
<boudiccas@skimble.plus.com> wrote:

> Now I've got the bibliography working I'm looking at getting indexes
> to be generated.
>
> Using my long-suffering "cat.org" with this code in my ".emacs"
> ;; org to latex customisations, -shell-escape needed for minted
> (setq org-export-dispatch-use-expert-ui t ; non-intrusive export dispatch
>       org-latex-pdf-process             ; for regular export
>       '("xelatex -shell-escape -interaction nonstopmode -output-directory %o %f"
>                 "biber %b"
>         "xelatex -shell-escape -interaction nonstopmode -output-directory %o %f"
>         "xelatex -shell-escape -interaction nonstopmode -output-directory %o %f"))
>
> and this is my "cat.org"
> # -*- mode:org; mode:reftex; indent-tabs-mode:nil; tab-width:2 -*-
> #+TITLE: Cat on the mat - 2014
> #+AUTHOR: Sharon Kimble.
> #+LATEX_CMD: xelatex
> #+LATEX_CLASS: article
> #+LATEX_CLASS_OPTIONS: [a4paper]
> #+LaTeX_HEADER: \usepackage{makeidx} %robustindex % Indexing
> #+LaTeX_HEADER: \usepackage[backend=biber,style=verbose,style=numeric]{biblatex}
> #+LaTeX_HEADER: \bibliography{cat}
> #+LATEX_HEADER: \usepackage[colorlinks=true]{hyperref}
> \makeindex
> \pagebreak
> \makeindex
> \begin{document}
> * Chapter 1
> Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer \cite{5} adipiscing elit, sed diam nonummy
> nibh euismod tincidunt ut laoreet dolore magna aliquam erat volutpat. Ut wisi
> enim ad minim veniam \cite{15}.
>
> * Chapter 2
> Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer \cite{7} adipiscing elit, sed diam
> nonummy nibh euismod tincidunt ut laoreet dolore magna\index{magna} aliquam
> erat volutpat. Ut wisi enim ad minim veniam,\cite{1} quis nostrud exerci
> tation ullamcorper suscipit lobortis nisl ut aliquip ex ea commodo
> consequat. Duis autem vel eum iriure dolor in hendrerit in vulputate velit
> esse molestie consequat\cite{12}.
>
> \printbibliography
>
> \printindex
>
> \end{document}
>
> And I run "C-c C-e l p" to generate the "cat.tex" and the "cat.pdf",
> but no "cat.idx" or "cat.aux" is generated. I've tried running "C-c
> C-e l l" three times then generating the "cat.pdf" but I can't get
> one generated.
>
> I've googled and looked in the "Org Manual" but haven't found how
> to do it. Can anyone help please?

Org is great, but I steer away from looking for Org documentation when
LaTeX isn't working. Like others have mentioned, figure out the LaTeX
first, then figure out how to make Org do your LaTeX bidding.

Did you read through/follow some start-to-finish instructions on how
to generate indexes with LaTeX? I've never done it, but just googling
"generate index latex" gets me this:
- http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/LaTeX/Indexing

Looks like you have most of what it suggests:
1) \usepackage{makeidx}
2) \makeindex in preamble (though I'm not sure why you have it twice)
3) \printindex to show the index

What I don't see of it's suggestions are:
1) Use \index{key} to tell it /what/ to index. What are you hoping
shows up in your index? Looks like LaTeX has no idea what words to
spit out unless you tell it!
2) Looks like you still might have to run `makeindex cat` after
compiling with LaTeX?

Re. that last bit, can you try replacing your opening bit with:

* Chapter 1
\index{Lorem} ipsum dolor...

Then:
- Run C-c C-e l p (hopefully that spits out a .idx file since there's
at least one word you want to index)
- Run `makeindex cat`, which will process the hopefully-output file,
cat.idx from the previous step
- Re-run C-c C-e l p from Org

If that doesn't work, I'd still try LaTeX manually before posting back. So:
- pdflatex cat
- biber cat
- makeindex cat
- pdflatex cat

Or something like that for your full bib/index workflow. Then, if
successful, someone can tell you how to get Org to call the right
LaTeX stuff.

John

> Sharon.
> --
> A taste of linux = http://www.sharons.org.uk
> my git repo = https://bitbucket.org/boudiccas/dots
> TGmeds = http://www.tgmeds.org.uk
> Debian testing, Fluxbox 1.3.5, emacs 24.4.50.19

* Re: How to generate an index?
@ 2014-05-07 14:31   ` Sharon Kimble
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Sharon Kimble @ 2014-05-07 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Hendy; +Cc: org-mode

[-- Attachment #1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 10751 bytes --]

Thanks, I also used this - http://www.sharelatex.com/learn/Main_Page

> Looks like you have most of what it suggests:
> 1) \usepackage{makeidx}
> 2) \makeindex in preamble (though I'm not sure why you have it twice)
> 3) \printindex to show the index
>
> What I don't see of it's suggestions are:
> 1) Use \index{key} to tell it /what/ to index. What are you hoping
> shows up in your index? Looks like LaTeX has no idea what words to
> spit out unless you tell it!
> 2) Looks like you still might have to run `makeindex cat` after
> compiling with LaTeX?
>
> Re. that last bit, can you try replacing your opening bit with:
>
> * Chapter 1
> \index{Lorem} ipsum dolor...
>
> Then:
> - Run C-c C-e l p (hopefully that spits out a .idx file since there's
> at least one word you want to index)
> - Run `makeindex cat`, which will process the hopefully-output file,
> cat.idx from the previous step
> - Re-run C-c C-e l p from Org
>
> If that doesn't work, I'd still try LaTeX manually before posting back. So:
> - pdflatex cat
> - biber cat
> - makeindex cat
> - pdflatex cat
>
> Or something like that for your full bib/index workflow. Then, if
> successful, someone can tell you how to get Org to call the right
> LaTeX stuff.

I've been able to get indexing references and a glossary all
working, but the results are not pretty!
;;; to go into ".emacs"
;; ;; org to latex customisations, -shell-escape needed for minted
(setq org-export-dispatch-use-expert-ui t ; non-intrusive export dispatch
      org-latex-pdf-process		; for regular export
      '("xelatex -shell-escape -interaction nonstopmode -output-directory %o %f"
		"biber %b"
		"xelatex -shell-escape -interaction nonstopmode -output-directory %o %f"
		"makeindex %b"
		"xelatex -shell-escape -interaction nonstopmode -output-directory %o %f"
		"makeglossaries %b"
		"makeglossaries %b"
	"xelatex -shell-escape -interaction nonstopmode -output-directory %o %f"))

;;; the org-mode file to be converted into "foo.tex" and "foo.pdf"
# -*- mode:org; mode:reftex; indent-tabs-mode:nil; tab-width:2 -*-
#+LATEX_CMD: xetex
#+TITLE: Cat on the mat - 2014
#+AUTHOR: Sharon Kimble.
#+LATEX_CLASS: article
#+LATEX_CLASS_OPTIONS: [a4paper]
#+LaTeX_HEADER: \usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}
#+LaTeX_HEADER: \usepackage{imakeidx}
#+LaTeX_HEADER: \makeindex[title=Index,intoc]
#+LaTeX_HEADER: \usepackage[backend=biber,style=verbose,style=numeric,intoc]{biblatex}
#+LaTeX_HEADER: \bibliography{cat}
#+LaTeX_HEADER: \usepackage[toc]{glossaries}
#+LaTeX_HEADER: \makeglossaries
#+LaTeX_HEADER: \input{INP-00-glossary}
\begin{document}

\maketitle

* Chapter 1
Lorem ipsum dolor sit \gls{maths} amet, consectetuer \cite{5} adipiscing elit, sed diam nonummy
nibh euismod tincidunt ut laoreet dolore magna aliquam erat volutpat. Ut wisi
enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud\gls{computer}} exerci tation ullamcorper suscipit lobortis
nisl ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis autem vel eum iriure dolor in
hendrerit in vulputate velit esse molestie consequat, vel illum dolore eu
feugiat nulla facilisis \cite{6} at vero eros et accumsan et iusto odio dignissim qui
blandit praesent luptatum zzril delenit augue \cite{3} duis dolore te feugait nulla
facilisi. Nam liber tempor cum soluta nobis eleifend option congue nihil
imperdiet doming id quod mazim placerat facer possim assum. Typi non habent
claritatem insitam; est usus legentis in iis qui \cite{14} facit eorum
claritatem. Investigationes demonstraverunt lectores legere me lius quod ii
legunt saepius \cite{1}. Claritas est etiam processus
dynamicus, qui sequitur mutationem consuetudium lectorum. Mirum est notare
quam littera gothica, quam nunc putamus parum claram, anteposuerit litterarum
formas humanitatis per seacula quarta decima et quinta decima \cite{13}. Eodem modo
typi, qui nunc nobis \cite{4} videntur parum clari, fiant sollemnes in futurum.

* Chapter 2
Lorem \index{Lorem} ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer \cite{7} adipiscing elit, sed diam
nonummy nibh euismod tincidunt ut laoreet dolore magna\index{magna} aliquam
erat volutpat. Ut wisi enim ad minim veniam,\cite{1} quis nostrud exerci
tation ullamcorper suscipit lobortis nisl ut aliquip ex ea commodo
consequat. Duis autem vel eum iriure dolor in hendrerit in vulputate velit
esse molestie consequat\cite{12}, vel illum dolore eu feugiat nulla facilisis
at vero eros et accumsan et iusto odio dignissim qui blandit praesent luptatum
zzril delenit augue duis dolore te \index{te} feugait nulla facilisi. Nam liber tempor
cum soluta nobis eleifend option congue nihil imperdiet doming id quod mazim
placerat facer possim assum \cite{2}. Typi non habent claritatem insitam;
\cite{10} est usus legentis in iis qui facit eorum claritatem. Investigationes
demonstraverunt lectores legere me lius quod \cite{11} ii legunt
saepius. Claritas est etiam processus dynamicus, qui sequitur mutationem
consuetudium lectorum. Mirum est notare quam littera gothica, quam nunc
putamus parum claram\index{claram}, anteposuerit litterarum formas humanitatis
per seacula quarta decima et quinta decima \cite{3}. Eodem modo typi, qui nunc
nobis videntur parum clari, \cite{9} fiant sollemnes in futurum \cite{8}.

\printglossaries

\printbibliography

\printindex

\end{document}

;;; "INP-00-glossary" - an external glossary file to keep its contents clean
\newglossaryentry{maths}{name=maths,description={Mathematics is what mathematicians do}}
\newglossaryentry{computer}{name=computer,description={is a programmable
machine that receives input, stores and manipulates data, and provides output in a useful format}}

;;; "cat.bib" only part so you can see what it looks like
@Article{1,
  author = {MacRae K. Pattison J.},
  title = {Home chemotherapy.},
  journaltitle = {Nursing Times},
  year = {2002},
  key = {1},
  volume = {98},
  number = {35},
  pages = {34-35},
}
@Book{2,
  title = {Bailliere's Nurses Dictionary},
  year = {2004},
  key = {2},
  editor = {Weller B.F.},
  edition = {23rd edition},
  publisher = {Bailliere Tindall and Royal College of Nursing},
}
@Book{3,
  title = {Martindale Extra Pharmacopoeia},
  year = {1996},
  key = {3},
  editor = {James E. F. Reynolds},
  edition = {31st},
  publisher = {Royal Pharmaceutical Society},
  location = {London},
}

These four files gives the output of "cat.pdf", attached.

* Things not working properly
- I can't find how to get the title, author and date on a page of
their own.
- I can't find how to get "references" showing in the table of
contents.
- The index is working with the default of 2 columns, but I want the
page numbers to all be aligned to the right. I haven't yet found how
to do it.

Can anyone help with any, or all, of the three problems I've just
outlined please? Apart from those its working well :)

Sharon.

[-- Attachment #1.2: cat.pdf --]

@ 2014-05-07 15:01     ` Ken Mankoff
From: Ken Mankoff @ 2014-05-07 15:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sharon Kimble; +Cc: org-mode

Hi Sharon,

> * Things not working properly
> - I can't find how to get the title, author and date on a page of
> their own.
> - I can't find how to get "references" showing in the table of
> contents.
> - The index is working with the default of 2 columns, but I want the
> page numbers to all be aligned to the right. I haven't yet found how
> to do it.
>
> Can anyone help with any, or all, of the three problems I've just
> outlined please? Apart from those its working well :)

These are all LaTeX issues, not Org issues.

Have you tried searching on https://tex.stackexchange.com/ They are very
helpful there, and all of these questions are answered there.

https://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/29440/how-can-i-get-maketitle-to-create-a-separate-title-page-with-the-article-class
https://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/8458/making-the-bibliography-appear-in-the-table-of-contents

Etc.

I suggest you work outside of Org in pure LaTeX to solve these
issues. Then try to get everything working in Org. One step at a time.

  -k.

* Re: How to generate an index?
@ 2014-05-07 15:02     ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2014-05-07 15:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sharon Kimble; +Cc: org-mode

On Wed, May 7, 2014 at 9:31 AM, Sharon Kimble
<boudiccas@skimble.plus.com> wrote:
> John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> On Tue, May 6, 2014 at 1:32 PM, Sharon Kimble
>> <boudiccas@skimble.plus.com> wrote:

[ snip ]

Looks like you're quite close!

> These four files gives the output of "cat.pdf", attached.
>
> * Things not working properly
> - I can't find how to get the title, author and date on a page of
> their own.

Can you clarify? As in you want sort of a "cover page" instead of the
title/author/date being toward the top/middle of the page, immediately
followed by the TOC on the same page? Googling around, I found a
similar question from... myself!
- http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2011-04/msg00172.html

The suggestion back then was to define your own class, so you'd need
to copy/modify Org's default article class so you get something like:

\maketitle
\newpage
\tableofcontents

> - I can't find how to get "references" showing in the table of
> contents.

Google is your friend; there's a bunch of suggestions:
- https://www.google.com/search?q=latex+add+references+to+table+of+contents

Try the StackExchange ones. You might have to replace your current
one-liner with a few other commands as well as loading packages with
some varied options, at least from skimming the top hit.

> - The index is working with the default of 2 columns, but I want the
> page numbers to all be aligned to the right. I haven't yet found how
> to do it.

Google, again:
- http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/132465/right-aligning-pagenumbers-in-index-with-imakeindex

> Can anyone help with any, or all, of the three problems I've just
> outlined please? Apart from those its working well :)
>
> Sharon.

The common theme is Google -> read -> try stuff -> Google -> read ->
try stuff -> email Org-mode list :)

John

@ 2014-05-07 15:20     ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2014-05-07 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

One more resource to add to those that Ken and John mentioned is the TeX
FAQ. Here e.g. is a section on the TOC/bib question:

   http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=tocbibind

Nick