From: John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com>
To: emacs-orgmode <emacs-orgmode@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: Organizing by time or by subject and an idea
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2012 13:47:34 -0600	[thread overview]

I got food feedback as far as the "snapshots" inquiry, but am still
not settled on the time vs. topic hierarchy strategy (definite thanks
to Bernt and Eric Fraga!). I thought of a specific situation that
might help with receiving feedback.

I think were I solely working as an individual, the structure Bernt
suggested would work. Essentially:

* todo Some bigger task
** todo subtask 1
** todo subtask 2

And so on. Basically -- lay out the steps you think you need to do to
complete it... and complete it. Store notes under the todos and you're
good to go.

But I work with a team. Some todos are dependent on input from the
team... Consider this example:

* todo some bigger task
** todo decide on what color to make the widgets for the three field tests
** todo subtask 2

Now, let's say I have a team meeting where my marketer tells me the
decision for the widget colors:
- field test 1: red
- field test 2: blue
- field test 3 green

I have [at least] two options:

* todo some bigger task
** done decide on what color to make the widgets for the three field tests
- field test 1: red
- field test 2: blue
- field test 3 green

or...

* Team Meeting Summaries
** [timestamp] Team Update
Alice informed us of the color decisions:
- field test 1: red
- field test 2: blue
- field test 3 green

I feel stuck in situations like this... I need to reproduce minutes
and thus it makes sense to keep the information with the chronological
event in which it occurred. I also know that it fits a larger project
structure and fulfills some task. I don't think duplicating it is the
way to go...

I suppose I could do:

** done decide on colors
See meeting on [timestamp] or [[org-link]]

One other thought I had was to have an idea similar to radio tables.
Imagine if you could have a link from the chronological entry
(meeting) to the todo entry that's not complete. The link would jump
back and forth between the two... but it would play a radio table type
of role in that it would export from either location (the original or
the radio call for that snippet).

Thoughts on this?

** done decide on colors
<<mtg on [timestamp]>>

* Meetings
** [timestamp] team meeting
#+begin_src radio text
Alice informed us of the color decisions:
- field test 1: red
- field test 2: blue
- field test 3 green
#+end_src

The block only signifies that the block can be linked to; it exports
just the same as if the block weren't there. Yet, if the todo is
exported, it recreates that block in the todo.

Just an idea. I'd be interested in how others keep things together
both in their meeting/event context as well as the fact that these
events often feed tidbits of information into several applicable
locations in a topic-structured outline.

Thanks,
John