* MobileOrg setup
@ 2012-04-05  0:49 John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2012-04-05  0:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I've configured a local WebDAV server on my machine at http://localhost/dav/org.

I'm new to mobile org as I just got my first mobile device. To be
honest, I didn't find the setup instructions that intuitive, but I'm
also no apache/WebDAV expert either! I any case, I used the Arch Linux
wiki to setup apache and WebDAV, mounted my server at /mnt/dav,
created /mnt/dav/org and changed permissions to my username and the
"users" group and used org-mobile-push to push to it. Everything seems
to be working nicely.

I can visit http://localhost/dav/org and see the structure with all my
files, agenda.org, index.org, and checksums.dat.

When I use mobile org, I get the error:
-----
Error occurred during sync: An error occurred attempting to fetch the
url http://ip-address/dav/org/checksums.dat: invalid username or
password.
-----

If I enter the same username and password from a browser... it works.
And that's true either of my computer or the tablet. I can view
checksums.dat in a browser on the tablet.

What am I missing?

Thanks!
John

* Re: MobileOrg setup
@ 2012-04-05  3:16 ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2012-04-05  3:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Well, I've made progress. I just turned off the webdav user/password
stuff and it worked fine. I'm not really worried about that, as it's
within the corporate firewall, but it still puzzles me that a browser
on the tablet could access the path with a user and password prompt
but MobileOrg couldn't, despite being setup with the same information.

Thanks for any suggestions,
John

On Wed, Apr 4, 2012 at 7:49 PM, John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've configured a local WebDAV server on my machine at http://localhost/dav/org.
>
> I'm new to mobile org as I just got my first mobile device. To be
> honest, I didn't find the setup instructions that intuitive, but I'm
> also no apache/WebDAV expert either! I any case, I used the Arch Linux
> wiki to setup apache and WebDAV, mounted my server at /mnt/dav,
> created /mnt/dav/org and changed permissions to my username and the
> "users" group and used org-mobile-push to push to it. Everything seems
> to be working nicely.
>
> I can visit http://localhost/dav/org and see the structure with all my
> files, agenda.org, index.org, and checksums.dat.
>
> When I use mobile org, I get the error:
> -----
> Error occurred during sync: An error occurred attempting to fetch the
> url http://ip-address/dav/org/checksums.dat: invalid username or
> password.
> -----
>
> If I enter the same username and password from a browser... it works.
> And that's true either of my computer or the tablet. I can view
> checksums.dat in a browser on the tablet.
>
> What am I missing?
>

> Thanks!
> John

* Re: MobileOrg setup
@ 2012-04-05 13:11   ` Jason F. McBrayer
From: Jason F. McBrayer @ 2012-04-05 13:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Hendy; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Wed, 4 Apr 2012 22:16:50 -0500, John Hendy wrote:

> Well, I've made progress. I just turned off the webdav user/password
> stuff and it worked fine. I'm not really worried about that, as it's
> within the corporate firewall, but it still puzzles me that a
> browser on the tablet could access the path with a user and password
> prompt but MobileOrg couldn't, despite being setup with the same
> information.

Have you tried turning the webdav authentication back on and
connecting to the dav share with cadaver, the command-line webdav
client? That's what I used to test my MobileOrg staging setup (though
now I use the ssh backend rather than webdav).

| Jason F. McBrayer jmcbray@carcosa.net                     |
| If someone conquers a thousand times a thousand others in |
| battle, and someone else conquers himself, the latter one |
| is the greatest of all conquerors. --- The Dhammapada     |

* Re: MobileOrg setup
@ 2012-04-05 16:27     ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2012-04-05 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason F. McBrayer; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Thu, Apr 5, 2012 at 8:11 AM, Jason F. McBrayer <jmcbray@carcosa.net> wrote:
> On Wed, 4 Apr 2012 22:16:50 -0500, John Hendy wrote:
>
>> Well, I've made progress. I just turned off the webdav user/password
>> stuff and it worked fine. I'm not really worried about that, as it's
>> within the corporate firewall, but it still puzzles me that a
>> browser on the tablet could access the path with a user and password
>> prompt but MobileOrg couldn't, despite being setup with the same
>> information.
>

> Have you tried turning the webdav authentication back on and
> connecting to the dav share with cadaver, the command-line webdav
> client? That's what I used to test my MobileOrg staging setup (though
> now I use the ssh backend rather than webdav).

When it was enabled, I tested it with cadaver. That was the only way I
knew I'd set up WebDAV correctly since I have no experience with it :)
The Arch Wiki had a section on testing and so I persisted until
successful. So, yes, confusing -- cadaver worked, the browser on the
host worked after inputting username/password into a popup, and the
same for the browser on the tablet. Only org-mobile said it couldn't
access the checksum.dat file.

Thanks for the suggestion,
John