On May 20, 2013 9:03 PM, "Scott Randby" wrote: > > First, I am using Org version 8.0.3-140-g84bae8. > > I'm having some weird customization issues that I don't know how to > resolve. > > When Emacs is started, not all the org variables are visible or > available for customization. Here is an example involving HTML export > customization. > > 1. Start Emacs > 2. M-x customize-group org-export-html > - None of the org-html variables appear on the list. > 3. M-x customize-variable org-html-head > - Changes to org-export-html-head > 4. Open up an org file to export to HTML > 5. C-c C-e h h > 6. M-x customize-group org-export-html > - Now the org-html variables appear > 7. M-x customize-variable org-html-head > - Works > > I can live with the above behavior, but I have a problem when it comes > to customizing LaTeX export. > > 1. In a manner similar to the org-html variable situation described > above, variables such as org-latex-classes are not available for > customization when Emacs is started. One must do C-c C-e l p on an > org file to make these variables available. > > 2. I want to put the following in my init.el: > > (add-to-list 'org-latex-classes > '("notesclass" > "\\documentclass{article}" > ("\\section{%s}" . "\\newsection{%s}") > ("\\subsection{%s}" . "\\newsubsection{%s}"))) > > But when I do, I get the following on startup: > > Warning (initialization): An error occurred while loading > `/home/srandby/.emacs.d/init.el': > > Symbol's value as variable is void: org-latex-classes > > To ensure normal operation, you should investigate and remove > the cause of the error in your initialization file. Start > Emacs with the `--debug-init' option to view a complete error > backtrace. > > This means I cannot put the above code in my init.el file where I > want it to be. > > Is there any way to make all of org's variables available for > customization on startup? > Yes, see the original exporter announcement: http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/65574 Section 3.0 calls out two methods of setting available backends. I'm guessing you are customizing org-export-backends vs (require 'ox-backend). Try requiring the backend and all associated variables will be there on startup. John > Scott Randby > >