* Beamer export: can't get frame level right
@ 2014-07-12 12:50 Gabor Retvari
From: Gabor Retvari @ 2014-07-12 12:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

I guess this should be easy but I just can't get frame levels right in my
beamer exports.

So as far as I understand, this should get my first level headlines (`*
headline 1' and stuff) into separate frames in my beamer export.

=== ORG MODE TEXT: ===

#+LaTeX_CLASS: beamer
#+LaTeX_CLASS_OPTIONS: [presentation,bigger]

* headline 1

- stuff

- stuff too

* headline 2

- list 1

- list 2

- ...

* headline 3

- no stuff

I expected the headlines top level headlines (`* headline 1'...) to appear
inside separate `\begin{frame}...\end{frame}' environments.  Problem is that
they do not, intead every headline goes into LaTeX `\section' sections.

=== LATEX EXPORT: ===
\documentclass[presentation,bigger]{beamer}
[..]

\section{headline 1}
\label{sec-1}

\begin{itemize}
\item stuff

\item stuff too
\end{itemize}

\section{headline 2}
\label{sec-2}

\begin{itemize}
\item list 1

\item list 2

\item \ldots{}
\end{itemize}

\section{headline 3}
\label{sec-3}

\begin{itemize}
\item no stuff
\end{itemize}
% Emacs 24.3.1 (Org mode 8.2.7b)
\end{document}

No `OPTIONS: H:n' setting seems to solve this problem. So how do I get this
right?

This is Org mode 8.2.7b by the way, as of the `org-mode' package version
8.2.7b-1 in Debian testing.

Thanks a lot,
Gabor

* Re: Beamer export: can't get frame level right
@ 2014-07-14 15:29 ` Josiah Schwab
From: Josiah Schwab @ 2014-07-14 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gabor Retvari; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Gabor,

> I guess this should be easy but I just can't get frame levels right in my
> beamer exports.
>
> So as far as I understand, this should get my first level headlines (`*
> headline 1' and stuff) into separate frames in my beamer export.
>
> ... snipped 61 lines ...
>
> No `OPTIONS: H:n' setting seems to solve this problem. So how do I get this
> right?

Which export command are you using?

I think you may be using the regular LaTeX exporter.  Adding beamer to
your LaTeX_CLASS is not sufficient (or necessary).  Rather, you want to
use the Beamer export commands.

http://orgmode.org/manual/Beamer-export.html

Hope that helps,
Josiah

* Re: Beamer export: can't get frame level right
@ 2014-07-14 18:38   ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2014-07-14 18:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Josiah Schwab; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Gabor Retvari

On Mon, Jul 14, 2014 at 10:29 AM, Josiah Schwab <jschwab@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Gabor,
>
>> I guess this should be easy but I just can't get frame levels right in my
>> beamer exports.
>>
>> So as far as I understand, this should get my first level headlines (`*
>> headline 1' and stuff) into separate frames in my beamer export.
>>
>> ... snipped 61 lines ...
>>
>> No `OPTIONS: H:n' setting seems to solve this problem. So how do I get this
>> right?
>
> Which export command are you using?
>
> I think you may be using the regular LaTeX exporter.  Adding beamer to
> your LaTeX_CLASS is not sufficient (or necessary).  Rather, you want to
> use the Beamer export commands.

Tend to agree. Make sure you're doing C-c C-e l P (capital P).

Attached my result of running your example, which I think is what
you're looking for?

John

P.S. Don't feel bad. I've done the exact same thing multiple times
wondering what the hell was going on :)

> http://orgmode.org/manual/Beamer-export.html
>
> Hope that helps,
> Josiah

[-- Attachment #2: test.pdf --]

* Re: Beamer export: can't get frame level right
@ 2014-07-16  9:58   ` Gabor Retvari
From: Gabor Retvari @ 2014-07-16  9:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Josiah Schwab; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

On Monday 14 July 2014 08:29:40 Josiah Schwab wrote:
> Which export command are you using?
>
> I think you may be using the regular LaTeX exporter.  Adding beamer to
> your LaTeX_CLASS is not sufficient (or necessary).  Rather, you want to
> use the Beamer export commands.
>
> http://orgmode.org/manual/Beamer-export.html

Thanks a lot, org-beamer-export-to-pdf seems to solve this issue.

Interestingly, C-c C-e l P (thank you John for the tip) does not work by
default as org-export-dispatch does not seem to know about beamer specific
export commands initially. Only after running org-beamer-export-to-pdf once the
beamer specific export options show up in the dispatcher's list. Strange.

Anyways, it would be nice to have this behavior better documented. Maybe a huge
warning in the tutorial saying "Use beamer export options, standard LaTeX
export will screw up your slide structure!" or somesuch. I see now that the
tutorial mentions that "tutorials and references available for both org-mode
itself, for LaTeX exporting, and for Beamer Class Export", but the link to the
"Beamer Class Export" document does not quite work.

http://orgmode.org/worg/exporters/beamer/tutorial.html

Again, thank you for the help, it really is appreciated.

Regards,

@ 2014-07-16 14:45     ` Josiah Schwab
From: Josiah Schwab @ 2014-07-16 14:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gabor Retvari; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 16 July 2014 at 02:58 PDT, Gabor Retvari wrote:

>> I think you may be using the regular LaTeX exporter.  Adding beamer to
>> your LaTeX_CLASS is not sufficient (or necessary).  Rather, you want to
>> use the Beamer export commands.
>>
>> http://orgmode.org/manual/Beamer-export.html
>
> Thanks a lot, org-beamer-export-to-pdf seems to solve this issue.
>
> Interestingly, C-c C-e l P (thank you John for the tip) does not work by
> default as org-export-dispatch does not seem to know about beamer specific
> export commands initially. Only after running org-beamer-export-to-pdf once the
> beamer specific export options show up in the dispatcher's
> list. Strange.

Not all exporters are loaded by default.
http://orgmode.org/manual/Export-back_002dends.html#Export-back_002dends

Have you done something like

,----
| (require 'ox-beamer)
`----

in your .emacs?  Or customized  `org-export-backends' ?

> Anyways, it would be nice to have this behavior better documented. Maybe a huge
> warning in the tutorial saying "Use beamer export options, standard LaTeX
> export will screw up your slide structure!" or somesuch. I see now that the
> tutorial mentions that "tutorials and references available for both org-mode
> itself, for LaTeX exporting, and for Beamer Class Export", but the link to the
> "Beamer Class Export" document does not quite work.
>
> http://orgmode.org/worg/exporters/beamer/tutorial.html

I have fixed the link you mention.

Best,
Josiah

* Re: Beamer export: can't get frame level right
@ 2014-07-16 14:54     ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2014-07-16 14:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gabor Retvari; +Cc: Josiah Schwab, emacs-orgmode

On Wed, Jul 16, 2014 at 4:58 AM, Gabor Retvari <retvari@tmit.bme.hu> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Monday 14 July 2014 08:29:40 Josiah Schwab wrote:
>> Which export command are you using?
>>
>> I think you may be using the regular LaTeX exporter.  Adding beamer to
>> your LaTeX_CLASS is not sufficient (or necessary).  Rather, you want to
>> use the Beamer export commands.
>>
>> http://orgmode.org/manual/Beamer-export.html
>
> Thanks a lot, org-beamer-export-to-pdf seems to solve this issue.
>
> Interestingly, C-c C-e l P (thank you John for the tip) does not work by
> default as org-export-dispatch does not seem to know about beamer specific
> export commands initially. Only after running org-beamer-export-to-pdf once the
> beamer specific export options show up in the dispatcher's list. Strange.
>
> Anyways, it would be nice to have this behavior better documented. Maybe a huge
> warning in the tutorial saying "Use beamer export options, standard LaTeX
> export will screw up your slide structure!" or somesuch. I see now that the
> tutorial mentions that "tutorials and references available for both org-mode
> itself, for LaTeX exporting, and for Beamer Class Export", but the link to the
> "Beamer Class Export" document does not quite work.
>
> http://orgmode.org/worg/exporters/beamer/tutorial.html

Sorry... looks like a by-product of still being pretty recent on the
new export engine and thus we have some instances of both new/old
instruction sets being out there in the wild. Can you see if this
works properly?
- http://orgmode.org/worg/exporters/beamer/ox-beamer.html

Aka, simply having this in .emacs:

(require 'ox-latex)
(add-to-list 'org-latex-classes
             '("beamer"
               "\\documentclass\[presentation\]\{beamer\}"
               ("\\section\{%s\}" . "\\section*\{%s\}")
               ("\\subsection\{%s\}" . "\\subsection*\{%s\}")
               ("\\subsubsection\{%s\}" . "\\subsubsection*\{%s\}")))

Good luck,
John

@ 2014-07-18 11:56       ` Gabor Retvari
From: Gabor Retvari @ 2014-07-18 11:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Hendy; +Cc: Josiah Schwab, emacs-orgmode

Hi,

On Wednesday 16 July 2014 09:54:13 John Hendy wrote:
> Can you see if this works properly?
> - http://orgmode.org/worg/exporters/beamer/ox-beamer.html
>
> Aka, simply having this in .emacs:
>
> (require 'ox-latex)
> (add-to-list 'org-latex-classes
>              '("beamer"
>                "\\documentclass\[presentation\]\{beamer\}"
>                ("\\section\{%s\}" . "\\section*\{%s\}")
>                ("\\subsection\{%s\}" . "\\subsection*\{%s\}")
>                ("\\subsubsection\{%s\}" . "\\subsubsection*\{%s\}")))

No, this does not seem to be enough for the beamer-specific export options to
show up with org-export-dispatch. This, however, is OK (by Josiah's
suggestion):

(require 'ox-beamer)

@ 2014-07-18 14:19         ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2014-07-18 14:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gabor Retvari; +Cc: Josiah Schwab, emacs-orgmode

On Fri, Jul 18, 2014 at 6:56 AM, Gabor Retvari <retvari@tmit.bme.hu> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wednesday 16 July 2014 09:54:13 John Hendy wrote:
>> Can you see if this works properly?
>> - http://orgmode.org/worg/exporters/beamer/ox-beamer.html
>>
>> Aka, simply having this in .emacs:
>>
>> (require 'ox-latex)
>> (add-to-list 'org-latex-classes
>>              '("beamer"
>>                "\\documentclass\[presentation\]\{beamer\}"
>>                ("\\section\{%s\}" . "\\section*\{%s\}")
>>                ("\\subsection\{%s\}" . "\\subsection*\{%s\}")
>>                ("\\subsubsection\{%s\}" . "\\subsubsection*\{%s\}")))
>
> No, this does not seem to be enough for the beamer-specific export options to
> show up with org-export-dispatch. This, however, is OK (by Josiah's
> suggestion):
>
> (require 'ox-beamer)

Oops. Yes, you're completely correct and I missed that. Right before
the beamer definition I pasted above above, Worg says:

"You can use the following minimal setup to start exporting to the
beamer documentclass. As of the latest Org mode version (8.0.3), this
setup is not necessary anymore. If you want to customise this
variable, you should **do it before loading ox-beamer.**"

So, Worg mentions loading ox-beamer (not sure why it's not right after
the definition to make it clear...), but I was also wrong again. If
your version is recent enough, you also don't need that definition,
just to require ox-beamer (which is, indeed, in my setup).

Sorry about that!
John