From: John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com>
To: Scott Randby <srandby@gmail.com>
Cc: emacs-orgmode <emacs-orgmode@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: [ANN] [OT] New Android app (Orgzly)
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2015 17:57:25 -0600	[thread overview]

On Jan 22, 2015 10:13 PM, "Scott Randby" <srandby@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 01/22/2015 05:02 PM, Marcin Borkowski wrote:
>
>> Now the question is: what is the most appropriate place to *inform*
>> about his project.  If not the Org-mode discussion list, I really don't
>> know.  (I assume that nobody denies his *right* to license his work
>> according to his wishes, of course, for if not, another explanation
>> would be that this project doesn't have any right to *exist* in the
>> first place.)
>

> Since we cannot view the code of this software, then we have no way of
determining before we use it if it has any purpose other than its stated
purpose. For all we know, it contains some nasty code that takes over your
system and deletes all of your files or worse.

> To trust this software because the developer seems to have good
intentions is foolish. When I saw the announcement, I interpreted it as
saying this: "Gee, here is some neat software I wrote. You can't see the
code, but trust me, I'm good. I'll open up part of the code maybe sometime,
but for now you can try it out for free. I'm not going to cut you off later
and make you pay to continue using this wonderful thing. And no, it doesn't
do anything bad like steal information or trash systems. Trust me." No
thanks, I say. Promote this somewhere else.

I somewhat get the sentiment, but it *is* on Google Play (granted, beta).
How is that different from other [android closed source] apps? I see the
announcement as relevant: i.e. "I have an app relevant to org mode and
thought I'd let the list devoted to org mode know about it."

Just wanted to express a counter-view. I'm a list member without a 100% no
closed source policy on my phone (and computer for that matter).

John