* Problem with org-mode after upgradiing to org 8
@ 2014-06-30  9:24 Roland Everaert
From: Roland Everaert @ 2014-06-30  9:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I have recently upgraded to org-mode version 8. Each time I start emacs I
see the folloinwg error:

error "Autoloading failed to define function org-element-cache-reset"

And some functionnality of org-mode doesn't seems to work anymore.

Informa

* Re: Problem with org-mode after upgradiing to org 8
@ 2014-06-30  9:48 ` Roland Everaert
From: Roland Everaert @ 2014-06-30  9:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Second part of the message:

Information from M-x org-version:

Org-mode version beta_8.3 (beta_8.3-16-g16c71d6 @
/home/reveatwork/.emacs.d/site-lisp/org-mode/lisp/)

I have downloaded the last version using git.

How can I switch to a stable branch instead of the last beta, to check if
that solves the problem?

Thanks for your help.

@ 2014-06-30 11:39   ` John Hendy
       [not found]     ` <CACdPZ9KzWcrCagO6mJABCj_6YXFRND93z8DENv+PjZ-pYLQ7Tg@mail.gmail.com>
From: John Hendy @ 2014-06-30 11:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Roland Everaert; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Jun 30, 2014 4:48 AM, "Roland Everaert" <reveatwork@gmail.com> wrote:

> Second part of the message:
>
> Information from M-x org-version:
>
> Org-mode version beta_8.3 (beta_8.3-16-g16c71d6 @
/home/reveatwork/.emacs.d/site-lisp/org-mode/lisp/)

> I have downloaded the last version using git.

Can you elaborate on your exact procedure for upgrading as well as posting
relevant lines from .emacs?

John

@ 2014-07-01 15:55       ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2014-07-01 15:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Roland Everaert; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Tue, Jul 1, 2014 at 5:04 AM, Roland Everaert <reveatwork@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have upgraded using git on a Linux fedora 20 64 bit.
>
> I perform the following commands from the directory of org-mode:
>
> make clean
> git pull
> make

I usually do git pull > make clean > make, but don't know if that
makes a difference, so that's probably fine.

> I have also read the following page:
> http://orgmode.org/worg/org-8.0.html
>
> And search for all variables in my configuration that start with org-export,
> but I have none of them.

Well, I'm interested in the original error, "Autoloading failed to
define function org-element-cache-reset", not anything to do with
org-export. You should be able to start emacs without any errors, and
I think that's the primary thing to troubleshoot first.

> My configuration is heavily inspired by this article:
> http://doc.norang.ca/org-mode.html

Bernt's page is one of the most advanced orgmode setups documented
that I've ever seen. I wouldn't get too deep into that before figuring
out what's going on at the basic level.

> I have quickly browsed it in case some specific changes needs to be done,
> but the only ones concernes the exporters that I have not configured yet.
>
> Which lines from the my ~/.emacs.d/init.el, would you like to see?

How are you telling Emacs where Orgmode lives? My suggestion would be
the following:

Create a minimal .emacs file with just the following (change path to
wherever your orgmode git repo is):

(add-to-list 'load-path "~/path/to/org.git/lisp/")

From a command line, run:

$ emacs -Q

Then from Emacs, run:

M-x load-file [press enter] /path/to/minimal-config/from/above [press enter]

Then run:

M-x org-version

You should get something like this:

Org-mode version 8.2.6 (release_8.2.6-950-ge599e8 @
/home/jwhendy/.elisp/org.git/lisp/)

If you don't get any errors, close emacs, copy some lines from your
"real" config into that minimal config, and repeat the process (emacs
-Q -> M-x load-file...) until you get the error again. Then you'll
know what's causing it. Doing it this way helps know that you've at
least got the "right" Org-mode loaded (not the one built in to your
Emacs), and from there we can track the issue.

Once that's all set, getting exporters going is a pretty simple
matter. I have this in my .emacs:

(require 'ox-latex)
(require 'ox-html)
(require 'ox-beamer)
(require 'ox-md)
(require 'ox-odt)
(require 'ox-taskjuggler)

(add-to-list 'org-latex-classes
             '("beamer"
               "\\documentclass\[presentation\]\{beamer\}"
               ("\\section\{%s\}" . "\\section*\{%s\}")
               ("\\subsection\{%s\}" . "\\subsection*\{%s\}")
               ("\\subsubsection\{%s\}" . "\\subsubsection*\{%s\}")))

That handles it all for me.

Also, please keep cc'ing the Org list. They know much more than I do,
and as you provide more information can probably help you better than
I can as well.

Good luck!
John

@ 2014-07-03  8:10         ` Roland Everaert
From: Roland Everaert @ 2014-07-03  8:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Hendy; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi John,

I am using Bernt's configuration (at least a part of it) for years without
problems until I switch to org 8.

I hame commented most of my init.el file and uncomment bits of
configuration lines one at a time. and I have found where is located the
problem. I have know to investigate why it is a problem.

The offending line is (bh/org-agenda-to-appt), this is one of the function
from the configuration of Bernt, so I have now to check my version against
the one on his page to see if he doesn't update it.

And to answer your question, the loaded version of org-mode is "Org-mode
version beta_8.3 (beta_8.3-16-g16c71d6 @
/home/reveatwork/.emacs.d/site-lisp/org-mode/lisp/)"

I will also perform a "make clean > make" of my installation of org-mode
just in case some their is some garbage left from previous version.

Thanks for your help,

Roland.

@ 2014-07-04 10:55           ` Roland Everaert
From: Roland Everaert @ 2014-07-04 10:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Hendy; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

After further investigation, it is the call to the function
(org-agenda-to-appt) inside the function bh/org-agenda-to-appt that is
causing the error.

The body of the function:

; Erase all reminders and rebuilt reminders for today from the agenda
(defun bh/org-agenda-to-appt ()
  (interactive)
  (setq appt-time-msg-list nil)
 (org-agenda-to-appt)
)

I will deactivate the call to bh/org-agenda-to-appt, so I can have a normal
life again and use emacs and org-mode without any problem. I will review
and clean my configuration when times permit.

I am anyway curious to know why that function call generate such error.

Thanks for your help,

Roland.

@ 2014-07-04 14:21             ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2014-07-04 14:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Roland Everaert; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Fri, Jul 4, 2014 at 5:55 AM, Roland Everaert <reveatwork@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> After further investigation, it is the call to the function
> (org-agenda-to-appt) inside the function bh/org-agenda-to-appt that is
> causing the error.
>
> The body of the function:
>
> ; Erase all reminders and rebuilt reminders for today from the agenda
> (defun bh/org-agenda-to-appt ()
>   (interactive)
>   (setq appt-time-msg-list nil)
>  (org-agenda-to-appt)
> )

I know approximately nothing about elisp... but my intuitive
interpretation is that it's setting the variable appt-time-msg-list to
the value nil. When I do M-x help RET appt-msg-[TAB], I don't get any
completions listed. Does that variable still exist?

When googling that variable, I find evidence of people referring to
it, but I'm not sure it's built into emacs -- are you sure you don't
need to add something else, such as appt.el?
- http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs-en/appt.el

John

@ 2014-07-14 11:05               ` Roland Everaert
From: Roland Everaert @ 2014-07-14 11:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Hendy; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

org-mode will makes me crazy. After a deep review (well rewrite my entire
configuration based on norang's one) org-mode is working again, but its the
version bundled with emacs that seems to be loaded and not the one I
downloaded from the git repository.

My emacs configuration is structured like so:

~/.emacs.d/init.el
~/.emacs.d/site-lisp/ --> contains alot of lisp codes including the
directory of org.

At the top of the init.el file I put the following:

(let ((default-directory "~/.emacs.d/site-lisp/"))
      (normal-top-level-add-to-load-path '("."))
      (normal-top-level-add-subdirs-to-load-path))

I, later, load a file containing all my org-mode configuration. That file
is located in ~/.emacs.d/site-lisp/. I load that file in this way:

(load-library "my-org-mode-config")

 At the top of that configuration file is written:

(add-to-list 'load-path (expand-file-name
"~/.emacs.d/site-lisp/org-mode/lisp"))
(add-to-list 'load-path (expand-file-name
"~/.emacs.d/site-lisp/org-mode/contrib/lisp"))
(add-to-list 'auto-mode-alist '("\\.\\(org\\|org_archive\\)$" . org-mode))

(require 'org)

So I don't understand why M-x org-version gives me:

Org-mode version 7.9.3f (release_7.9.3f-17-g7524ef @
/usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/)

Any help welcomed,

Roland.

@ 2014-07-14 18:34                 ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2014-07-14 18:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Roland Everaert; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Mon, Jul 14, 2014 at 6:05 AM, Roland Everaert <reveatwork@gmail.com> wrote:
> org-mode will makes me crazy. After a deep review (well rewrite my entire
> configuration based on norang's one) org-mode is working again, but its the
> version bundled with emacs that seems to be loaded and not the one I
> downloaded from the git repository.
>

> My emacs configuration is structured like so:
>
> ~/.emacs.d/init.el
> ~/.emacs.d/site-lisp/ --> contains alot of lisp codes including the
> directory of org.

Do you have a ~/.emacs? One thought that occurred is making sure the
"right" config is loaded, or that they are loaded in the right order.
I don't understand how Emacs works on that level, but I have just
always used ~/.emacs for a config.
- http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3349172/whats-the-startup-sequence-for-emacs

> At the top of the init.el file I put the following:
>
> (let ((default-directory "~/.emacs.d/site-lisp/"))
>       (normal-top-level-add-to-load-path '("."))
>       (normal-top-level-add-subdirs-to-load-path))
>

> I, later, load a file containing all my org-mode configuration. That file is
> located in ~/.emacs.d/site-lisp/. I load that file in this way:
>
> (load-library "my-org-mode-config")
>
>  At the top of that configuration file is written:
>
> (add-to-list 'load-path (expand-file-name
> "~/.emacs.d/site-lisp/org-mode/lisp"))
> (add-to-list 'load-path (expand-file-name
> "~/.emacs.d/site-lisp/org-mode/contrib/lisp"))
> (add-to-list 'auto-mode-alist '("\\.\\(org\\|org_archive\\)$" . org-mode))
>
> (require 'org)
>

> So I don't understand why M-x org-version gives me:
>
> Org-mode version 7.9.3f (release_7.9.3f-17-g7524ef @
> /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/)

While I'm no master/authority... you've not taken the suggestion I
provided originally, which is to remove *all* complicated stuff and
just make sure that the git version of Org is functioning properly.
Copied and pasted from my initial response:

=====
;; create a file (say, ~/Desktop/minimal-config) with the following
*single* line
;; in your case, looks like you'd do "~/.emacs.d/site-lisp/org-mode/lisp/"
(add-to-list 'load-path "~/path/to/org.git/lisp/")

From a command line, run:

$ emacs -Q

Then from Emacs, run:

M-x load-file [press enter] /path/to/minimal-config/from/above [press enter]

Then run:

M-x org-version
=====

Please try that and post the result.

John

@ 2014-07-15 20:30                 ` Sean O'Halpin
From: Sean O'Halpin @ 2014-07-15 20:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Roland Everaert; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

This might be something to do with the order in which package
initialization and the loading of your init.el file happen. I use the
following alias to put my local org-mode git repo paths ahead of
anything emacs does on launch (in startup.el or site-start.el, etc.):

: alias emacs='/usr/local/bin/emacs --eval '\''(progn (add-to-list
(quote load-path) "~/.emacs.d/org-mode/lisp") (add-to-list (quote
load-path) "~/.emacs.d/org-mode/contrib/lisp"))'\'''

This doesn't seem like a very elegant solution though - I too would
like to know what the 'proper' way to do this is (if there is one).

Regards,
Sean

@ 2014-07-17  9:06                   ` Roland Everaert
From: Roland Everaert @ 2014-07-17  9:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sean O'Halpin; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

I don't have a .emacs file, I remove it years ago to use ~/.emacs.d/init.el.

With the minimal-config, the org version is "Org-mode version 8.3beta
(release_8.3beta-40-g9cf3c4 @
/home/reveatwork/.emacs.d/site-lisp/org-mode/lisp/)". So I have created a
file that load only org-mode and my configuration.

It begins like this:

(let ((default-directory "~/.emacs.d/site-lisp/"))
      (normal-top-level-add-to-load-path '("."))
      (normal-top-level-add-subdirs-to-load-path))

;; Load Org-mode
(add-to-list 'load-path "~/.emacs.d/site-lisp/org-mode/lisp")
(add-to-list 'load-path "~/.emacs.d/site-lisp/org-mode/contrib/lisp")
(add-to-list 'auto-mode-alist '("\\.\\(org\\|org_archive\\)$" . org-mode))

The right version of org-mode is loaded, but I have an error upon starting
emacs. Below is the backtrace:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (void-variable org-element-block-name-alist)
  add-to-list(org-element-block-name-alist ("HTML" .
org-element-export-block-parser))
  (while --dolist-tail-- (setq name (car --dolist-tail--)) (add-to-list
(quote org-element-block-name-alist) (cons name (quote
org-element-export-block-parser))) (setq --dolist-tail-- (cdr
--dolist-tail--)))
  (let ((--dolist-tail-- (progn (or (and (vectorp backend) (>= (length
backend) 8) (memq (aref backend 0) cl-struct-org-export-backend-tags))
(error "%s accessing a non-%s" (quote org-export-backend-blocks) (quote
org-export-backend))) (aref backend 6))) name) (while --dolist-tail-- (setq
name (car --dolist-tail--)) (add-to-list (quote
org-element-block-name-alist) (cons name (quote
org-element-export-block-parser))) (setq --dolist-tail-- (cdr
--dolist-tail--))))
  (progn (let ((--dolist-tail-- (progn (or (and (vectorp backend) (>= ...
8) (memq ... cl-struct-org-export-backend-tags)) (error "%s accessing a
non-%s" (quote org-export-backend-blocks) (quote org-export-backend)))
(aref backend 6))) name) (while --dolist-tail-- (setq name (car
--dolist-tail--)) (add-to-list (quote org-element-block-name-alist) (cons
name (quote org-element-export-block-parser))) (setq --dolist-tail-- (cdr
--dolist-tail--)))))
  org-export-register-backend([cl-struct-org-export-backend html nil ((bold
. org-html-bold) (center-block . org-html-center-block) (clock .
org-html-clock) (code . org-html-code) (drawer . org-html-drawer)
(dynamic-block . org-html-dynamic-block) (entity . org-html-entity)
(example-block . org-html-example-block) (export-block .
org-html-export-block) (export-snippet . org-html-export-snippet)
(fixed-width . org-html-fixed-width) (footnote-definition .
org-html-footnote-definition) (footnote-reference .
org-html-footnote-reference) (headline . org-html-headline)
(horizontal-rule . org-html-horizontal-rule) (inline-src-block .
org-html-inline-src-block) (inlinetask . org-html-inlinetask)
(inner-template . org-html-inner-template) (italic . org-html-italic) (item
. org-html-item) (keyword . org-html-keyword) (latex-environment .
org-html-latex-environment) (latex-fragment . org-html-latex-fragment)
(line-break . org-html-line-break) (link . org-html-link) (node-property .
org-html-node-property) (paragraph . org-html-paragraph) (plain-list .
org-html-plain-list) (plain-text . org-html-plain-text) (planning .
org-html-planning) (property-drawer . org-html-property-drawer)
(quote-block . org-html-quote-block) (radio-target . org-html-radio-target)
(section . org-html-section) (special-block . org-html-special-block)
(src-block . org-html-src-block) (statistics-cookie .
org-html-statistics-cookie) (strike-through . org-html-strike-through)
(subscript . org-html-subscript) (superscript . org-html-superscript)
(table . org-html-table) (table-cell . org-html-table-cell) (table-row .
org-html-table-row) (target . org-html-target) (template .
org-html-template) (timestamp . org-html-timestamp) (underline .
org-html-underline) (verbatim . org-html-verbatim) (verse-block .
org-html-verse-block)) ((:html-doctype "HTML_DOCTYPE" nil org-html-doctype)
(:html-container "HTML_CONTAINER" nil org-html-container-element)
(:html-html5-fancy nil "html5-fancy" org-html-html5-fancy)
(:html-link-use-abs-url nil "html-link-use-abs-url"
org-html-link-use-abs-url) (:html-link-home "HTML_LINK_HOME" nil
org-html-link-home) (:html-link-up "HTML_LINK_UP" nil org-html-link-up)
(:html-head "HTML_HEAD" nil org-html-head newline) (:html-head-extra
"HTML_HEAD_EXTRA" nil org-html-head-extra newline) (:html-container
"HTML_CONTAINER" nil org-html-container-element) (:html-mathjax
"HTML_MATHJAX" nil "" space) (:html-extension nil nil org-html-extension)
(:html-link-org-as-html nil nil org-html-link-org-files-as-html)
(:html-html5-fancy nil "html5-fancy" org-html-html5-fancy)
(:html-link-use-abs-url nil "html-link-use-abs-url"
org-html-link-use-abs-url) (:html-postamble nil "html-postamble"
org-html-postamble) (:html-preamble nil "html-preamble" org-html-preamble)
(:html-head "HTML_HEAD" nil org-html-head newline) (:html-head-extra
"HTML_HEAD_EXTRA" nil org-html-head-extra newline)
(:html-head-include-default-style nil "html-style"
org-html-head-include-default-style) (:html-head-include-scripts nil
"html-scripts" org-html-head-include-scripts)
(:html-allow-name-attribute-in-anchors nil nil
org-html-allow-name-attribute-in-anchors) (:html-coding-system nil nil
org-html-coding-system) (:html-divs nil nil org-html-divs) (:html-extension
nil nil org-html-extension) (:html-footnote-format nil nil
org-html-footnote-format) (:html-footnote-separator nil nil
org-html-footnote-separator) (:html-footnotes-section nil nil
org-html-footnotes-section) (:html-format-drawer-function nil nil
org-html-format-drawer-function) (:html-format-headline-function nil nil
org-html-format-headline-function) (:html-format-inlinetask-function nil
nil org-html-format-inlinetask-function) (:html-home/up-format nil nil
org-html-home/up-format) (:html-htmlize-font-prefix nil nil
org-html-htmlize-font-prefix) (:html-htmlize-output-type nil nil
org-html-htmlize-output-type) (:html-indent nil nil org-html-indent)
(:html-infojs-options nil nil org-html-infojs-options)
(:html-infojs-template nil nil org-html-infojs-template)
(:html-inline-image-rules nil nil org-html-inline-image-rules)
(:html-link-org-as-html nil nil org-html-link-org-files-as-html)
(:html-mathjax-options nil nil org-html-mathjax-options)
(:html-mathjax-template nil nil org-html-mathjax-template)
(:html-metadata-timestamp-format nil nil
org-html-metadata-timestamp-format) (:html-postamble-format nil nil
org-html-postamble-format) (:html-preamble-format nil nil
org-html-preamble-format) (:html-protect-char-alist nil nil
org-html-protect-char-alist) (:html-table-align-individual-fields nil nil
org-html-table-align-individual-fields) (:html-table-caption-above nil nil
org-html-table-caption-above) (:html-table-data-tags nil nil
org-html-table-data-tags) (:html-table-header-tags nil nil
org-html-table-header-tags) (:html-table-use-header-tags-for-first-column
nil nil org-html-table-use-header-tags-for-first-column)
(:html-tag-class-prefix nil nil org-html-tag-class-prefix) ...)
((:filter-options . org-html-infojs-install-script) (:filter-final-output .
org-html-final-function)) ("HTML") (104 "Export to HTML" ((72 "As HTML
buffer" org-html-export-as-html) (104 "As HTML file"
org-html-export-to-html) (111 "As HTML file and open" (lambda (a s v b) (if
a (org-html-export-to-html t s v b) (org-open-file (org-html-export-to-html
nil s v b)))))))])
  (let (blocks filters menu-entry options contents) (while (keywordp (car
body)) (let ((--cl-var-- (car (prog1 body (setq body ...))))) (cond ((eql
--cl-var-- (quote :export-block)) (let ((names ...)) (setq blocks (if ...
... ...)))) ((eql --cl-var-- (quote :filters-alist)) (setq filters (car
(prog1 body ...)))) ((eql --cl-var-- (quote :menu-entry)) (setq menu-entry
(car (prog1 body ...)))) ((eql --cl-var-- (quote :options-alist)) (setq
options (car (prog1 body ...)))) (t (car (prog1 body (setq body ...)))))))
(org-export-register-backend (progn (vector (quote
cl-struct-org-export-backend) backend nil transcoders options filters
blocks menu-entry))))
  org-export-define-backend(html ((bold . org-html-bold) (center-block .
[...]
org-html-verse-block)) :export-block "HTML" :filters-alist
((:filter-options . org-html-infojs-install-script) (:filter-final-output .
org-html-final-function)) :menu-entry (104 "Export to HTML" ((72 "As HTML
buffer" org-html-export-as-html) (104 "As HTML file"
org-html-export-to-html) (111 "As HTML file and open" (lambda (a s v b) (if
a (org-html-export-to-html t s v b) (org-open-file (org-html-export-to-html
nil s v b))))))) :options-alist ((:html-doctype "HTML_DOCTYPE" nil
[...]
  eval-buffer(#<buffer  *load*-810741> nil
"/home/reveatwork/.emacs.d/site-lisp/org-mode/lisp/ox-html.el" nil t)  ;
Reading at buffer position 8239

load-with-code-conversion("/home/reveatwork/.emacs.d/site-lisp/org-mode/lisp/ox-html.el"
"/home/reveatwork/.emacs.d/site-lisp/org-mode/lisp/ox-html.el" nil t)
  require(ox-html)
  eval-buffer(#<buffer  *load*-207941> nil
"/home/reveatwork/.emacs.d/site-lisp/my-org-mode-config.el" nil t)  ;
Reading at buffer position 21243

load-with-code-conversion("/home/reveatwork/.emacs.d/site-lisp/my-org-mode-config.el"
"/home/reveatwork/.emacs.d/site-lisp/my-org-mode-config.el" nil nil)
  load("my-org-mode-config")
  load-library("my-org-mode-config")
  eval-buffer(#<buffer  *load*> nil "/home/reveatwork/.emacs.d/init.el" nil
t)  ; Reading at buffer position 6127
  load-with-code-conversion("/home/reveatwork/.emacs.d/init.el"
"/home/reveatwork/.emacs.d/init.el" t t)
  load("/home/reveatwork/.emacs.d/init" t t)
  #[0 "\b\205\262

If I remove de call to (require ox-*) where * is the export format to load,
I have no error.

Roland.

@ 2014-07-17 13:06                     ` Roland Everaert
From: Roland Everaert @ 2014-07-17 13:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sean O'Halpin; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

After many test, I have decided to re-install org-mode from git n a brand
new directory. Now I have no more the problem with loading the exporters. I
have not yet tested all the features I used from org-mode but everything
seems fine so far.

Thanks for your help,

Roland.

@ 2014-07-17 13:15                     ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2014-07-17 13:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Roland Everaert <reveatwork@gmail.com> writes:

> With the minimal-config, the org version is "Org-mode version 8.3beta (release_8.3beta-40-g9cf3c4 @ /home/reveatwork/.emacs.d/site-lisp/org-mode/lisp/)". So I have created a file
> that load only org-mode and my configuration.
>
> It begins like this:
>
> (let ((default-directory "~/.emacs.d/site-lisp/"))
>       (normal-top-level-add-to-load-path '("."))
>       (normal-top-level-add-subdirs-to-load-path))
>
> ;; Load Org-mode
> (add-to-list 'load-path "~/.emacs.d/site-lisp/org-mode/lisp")
> (add-to-list 'load-path "~/.emacs.d/site-lisp/org-mode/contrib/lisp")
> (add-to-list 'auto-mode-alist '("\\.\\(org\\|org_archive\\)$" . org-mode))
>
> The right version of org-mode is loaded, but I have an error upon starting emacs. Below is the backtrace:
>
> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (void-variable org-element-block-name-alist)
>   add-to-list(org-element-block-name-alist ("HTML" . org-element-export-block-parser))
>   eval-buffer(#<buffer  *load*-810741> nil "/home/reveatwork/.emacs.d/site-lisp/org-mode/lisp/ox-html.el" nil t)  ; Reading at buffer position 8239
>   load-with-code-conversion("/home/reveatwork/.emacs.d/site-lisp/org-mode/lisp/ox-html.el" "/home/reveatwork/.emacs.d/site-lisp/org-mode/lisp/ox-html.el" nil t)
>   require(ox-html)
>   eval-buffer(#<buffer  *load*-207941> nil "/home/reveatwork/.emacs.d/site-lisp/my-org-mode-config.el" nil t)  ; Reading at buffer position 21243
>   load-with-code-conversion("/home/reveatwork/.emacs.d/site-lisp/my-org-mode-config.el" "/home/reveatwork/.emacs.d/site-lisp/my-org-mode-config.el" nil nil)
>   load("my-org-mode-config")
>   load-library("my-org-mode-config")
>   eval-buffer(#<buffer  *load*> nil "/home/reveatwork/.emacs.d/init.el" nil t)  ; Reading at buffer position 6127
>   load-with-code-conversion("/home/reveatwork/.emacs.d/init.el" "/home/reveatwork/.emacs.d/init.el" t t)
>   load("/home/reveatwork/.emacs.d/init" t t)

org-element-block-name-alist is defined in org-element.el,
so you need to load that file before you can use it. Find
the place where you are setting it in your init.el and modify
it as follows:

(require 'org-element)
(add-to-list 'org-element-block-name-alist
             '("HTML" . org-element-export-block-parser))

But I don't think you need to modify it at all: I start with a
minimal init file, do a (require 'ox-html) and
org-element-block-name-alist already contains the HTML element above.
This is with

Org-mode version 8.3beta (release_8.3beta-40-g9cf3c4)

YMMV of course if you are using a different version: there might be
a bug that has been fixed more recently - I haven't checked.

--
Nick