* Org interpreting multiple ^{*} instances as bold in LaTeX beamer export
@ 2013-02-12  8:44 John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2013-02-12  8:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Here's a minimal example:

#+begin_src org

#+startup: beamer
#+latex_class: beamer

* A headline

a word^{*} followed by another^{*}

- bullet item^{*}
- bullet item

#+end_src

I just wanted an asterisk to put a little footnote for two items in a
longer list and noticed that it shifted the whole slide up. Same for
regular LaTeX document export. Seems like it only happens if the two
bullets are consecutive. In other words, this works fine:

#+begin_src org

a word^{*} followed by another and let's see how far apart they need
to be before this
isn't triggered anymore by org interpreting LaTeX math as bold markup
and inserting
textbf commands in the export^{*}. Ah, yes. That does it.

- bullet item^{*}
- bullet item
- bullet item^{*}

#+end_src

I also tried explicitly forcing math mode, but with varied success:

#+begin_src org

appears to work:

a word\(^{*}\) followed by another\(^{*}\)

still doesn't work (asterisks are there, but org doesn't put it in as
an =\item=, taking the "-" bullet markup literally

- bullet item\(^{*}\)
- bullet item\(^{*}\)
- bullet item
- bullet item

#+end_src

This is on the old exporter (not sure if org has actually moved to
this or not yet... but either way, I've still just been doing things
"the old way" as I haven't really dug into the new one yet).

Best regards,
John

* Re: Org interpreting multiple ^{*} instances as bold in LaTeX beamer export
@ 2013-02-13 15:50 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2013-02-13 15:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Hendy; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi John,

John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com> writes:

> I just wanted an asterisk to put a little footnote for two items in a
> longer list and noticed that it shifted the whole slide up. Same for
> regular LaTeX document export. Seems like it only happens if the two
> bullets are consecutive.

The last component of `org-emphasis-regexp-components' is the number
of newlines allowed when emphasizing.  This is 1 by default, meaning
that you cannot use markup on more than two consecutive lines.

In any case, you can simply use another character than "*" for the
time being, we are working on this part of the code.  The plan is
to allow to deactivate some markup based on a variable.

 Bastien

* Re: Org interpreting multiple ^{*} instances as bold in LaTeX beamer export
@ 2013-02-13 16:49   ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2013-02-13 16:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 9:50 AM, Bastien <bzg@altern.org> wrote:
> Hi John,
>
> John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I just wanted an asterisk to put a little footnote for two items in a
>> longer list and noticed that it shifted the whole slide up. Same for
>> regular LaTeX document export. Seems like it only happens if the two
>> bullets are consecutive.
>
> The last component of `org-emphasis-regexp-components' is the number
> of newlines allowed when emphasizing.  This is 1 by default, meaning
> that you cannot use markup on more than two consecutive lines.

Thanks for the explanation.

> In any case, you can simply use another character than "*" for the
> time being, we are working on this part of the code.  The plan is
> to allow to deactivate some markup based on a variable.

I just went with \star; close enough for me!

Thanks,
John