* Gnuplot/babel issue with export to eps
@ 2012-01-05 23:54 John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2012-01-05 23:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I have the following gnuplot/babel block and for some reason the resultant
.eps file comes up broken but a corresponding version of it gets converted
to pdf somehow... what's going on? I stole an example just to check and
make sure it wasn't my gnuplot code:
http://t16web.lanl.gov/Kawano/gnuplot/intro/plotfunc-e.html

-----
#+begin_src gnuplot :file export.eps :exports results
reset

set terminal postscript eps color enhanced 20

a=0.25
 b=0.02
 c=0.05
 d=0.1
 f(x)=c/((x-a)*(x-a)+b)+d/sqrt(x)
 set xrange [0:1]
 set yrange [0:4]
 plot f(x)

#+end_src
-----

I get a file export.eps which is broken and unreadable by geeqie. I get a
corresponding file called export-eps-converted-to.pdf that opens fine and
looks like it should.

What am I doing incorrectly?

Thanks,
John

* Re: Gnuplot/babel issue with export to eps
@ 2012-01-06  0:03 ` Chris Malone
From: Chris Malone @ 2012-01-06  0:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Hendy; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi John,

I'm not sure what Org mode is doing behind the scenes, but I suspect something is getting muddled because you specify both the src block file header /and/ the output terminal in the gnu plot code.

Perhaps a simpler solution - if you indeed want Postscript images - would be to remove the =:file …= header argument and specify the =set output= within the gnuplot script itself?  That should still generate the .eps file.

Chris

On Jan 5, 2012, at 3:54 PM, John Hendy wrote:

> I have the following gnuplot/babel block and for some reason the resultant .eps file comes up broken but a corresponding version of it gets converted to pdf somehow... what's going on? I stole an example just to check and make sure it wasn't my gnuplot code: http://t16web.lanl.gov/Kawano/gnuplot/intro/plotfunc-e.html
>
> -----
> #+begin_src gnuplot :file export.eps :exports results
> reset
>
> set terminal postscript eps color enhanced 20
>
> a=0.25
>  b=0.02
>  c=0.05
>  d=0.1
>  f(x)=c/((x-a)*(x-a)+b)+d/sqrt(x)
>  set xrange [0:1]
>  set yrange [0:4]
>  plot f(x)
>
> #+end_src
> -----
>
> I get a file export.eps which is broken and unreadable by geeqie. I get a corresponding file called export-eps-converted-to.pdf that opens fine and looks like it should.
>
> What am I doing incorrectly?
>

> Thanks,
> John

Chris Malone (malone@ucolick.org)

Dept. of Astronomy and Astrophysics
UC Santa Cruz
1156 High Street
Santa Cruz, CA 95064-1077

phone: 831-459-3809

* Re: Gnuplot/babel issue with export to eps
@ 2012-01-06  3:01   ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2012-01-06  3:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Malone; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Thu, Jan 5, 2012 at 6:03 PM, Chris Malone <chris.m.malone@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi John,
>
> I'm not sure what Org mode is doing behind the scenes, but I suspect
> something is getting muddled because you specify both the src block file
> header /and/ the output terminal in the gnu plot code.
>
> Perhaps a simpler solution - if you indeed want Postscript images - would
> be to remove the =:file …= header argument and specify the =set output=
> within the gnuplot script itself?  That should still generate the .eps file.

I may give this a try at work tomorrow... just tried the same file on my
Mac at home (running the same linux setup) and it's working, though I still
get a filename.eps and a filename-eps-converted-to.pdf output. It's just
that the .eps on this computer is valid and viewable.

I'll have to dig into this some more; perhaps comparing org versions and
.emacs config files.

I'm pulling from the org git repo and doing a make now on this computer as
we speak. If it still works, I'll do the same at work tomorrow and see if
that helps.

Thanks for the input,
John

@ 2012-01-06 16:59     ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2012-01-06 16:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Malone; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Thu, Jan 5, 2012 at 9:01 PM, John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 5, 2012 at 6:03 PM, Chris Malone <chris.m.malone@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Hi John,
>>
>> I'm not sure what Org mode is doing behind the scenes, but I suspect
>> something is getting muddled because you specify both the src block file
>> header /and/ the output terminal in the gnu plot code.
>>
>> Perhaps a simpler solution - if you indeed want Postscript images - would
>> be to remove the =:file …= header argument and specify the =set output=
>> within the gnuplot script itself?  That should still generate the .eps file.
>>

> I may give this a try at work tomorrow... just tried the same file on my
> Mac at home (running the same linux setup) and it's working, though I still
> get a filename.eps and a filename-eps-converted-to.pdf output. It's just
> that the .eps on this computer is valid and viewable.
>
> I'll have to dig into this some more; perhaps comparing org versions and
> .emacs config files.
>
> I'm pulling from the org git repo and doing a make now on this computer as
> we speak. If it still works, I'll do the same at work tomorrow and see if
> that helps.

Fresh org pull, same file... no viable output. The =set output "test.eps"=
command with no :file header does not work. I get "code block produced no
output" in the minibuffer.

Here's some things of interest...
-- Removing =set terminal...= and exporting via =:file test.png= works
-- Using =set terminal postscript= and =:file test.ps= works
-- Using =set terminal postscript eps enhanced= and =:file test.eps= does
*not* work

What package provides the eps ability? Perhaps I removed something from my
system that I didn't intend to!

Any suggestions on how to see what's going on?

Thanks,
John

@ 2012-01-06 17:02       ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2012-01-06 17:02 UTC (permalink / raw)