* Sagemath with org-babel?
@ 2012-08-06 19:31 Johan Ekh
From: Johan Ekh @ 2012-08-06 19:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi all,
sage is not listed under languages that can be used with org-babel. But it is based on
Python, is it possible to use it with org-babel?

/Johan

Sent from my iPad

* Re: Sagemath with org-babel?
@ 2012-08-06 21:33 ` Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2012-08-06 21:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Johan Ekh; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Aloha Johan,

Babel can be configured to support new languages, see
http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/babel/languages.html#develop

Someone will need to write language specific functions to support code
block evaluation in sage.  There is a template for this.  The functions
written for other languages provide good examples of what the
sage-specific functions might look like.

hth,
Tom

--
Thomas S. Dye
http://www.tsdye.com

* Re: Sagemath with org-babel?
@ 2012-08-06 21:47   ` Darlan Cavalcante Moreira
From: Darlan Cavalcante Moreira @ 2012-08-06 21:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas S. Dye; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

I have done this in the past, I don't have the files anymore. However, as
Tom says it is very easy to modify the templates to make org work with
sage. I remember I only needed some search and replace to make it work.

Also, you may want to have a look at sage-mode first if you haven't
already.
http://wiki.sagemath.org/sage-mode

With sage mode installed its is a simple matter to make "C-c '" edit the
source code in sage-mode.

--
Darlan

At Mon, 06 Aug 2012 11:33:47 -1000,
tsd@tsdye.com (Thomas S. Dye) wrote:

> Aloha Johan,
>
> Babel can be configured to support new languages, see
> http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/babel/languages.html#develop
>
> Someone will need to write language specific functions to support code
> block evaluation in sage.  There is a template for this.  The functions
> written for other languages provide good examples of what the
> sage-specific functions might look like.
>
> hth,
> Tom
>

> Johan Ekh <ekh.johan@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Hi all,
> > sage is not listed under languages that can be used with
> > org-babel. But it is based on
> > Python, is it possible to use it with org-babel?
> >
> > /Johan
> >
> > Sent from my iPad
> >

> --
> Thomas S. Dye
> http://www.tsdye.com

* Re: Sagemath with org-babel?
@ 2014-11-04 22:26     ` Brady Trainor
From: Brady Trainor @ 2014-11-04 22:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Darlan Cavalcante Moreira <darcamo@gmail.com> writes:

> I have done this in the past, I don't have the files anymore. However, as
> Tom says it is very easy to modify the templates to make org work with
> sage. I remember I only needed some search and replace to make it work.
>
> Also, you may want to have a look at sage-mode first if you haven't
> already.
> http://wiki.sagemath.org/sage-mode
>
> With sage mode installed its is a simple matter to make "C-c '" edit the
> source code in sage-mode.

I have tried "C-c '", but it did not work.

My attempt:

As suggested at https://bitbucket.org/gvol/sage-mode/src, I try

#+BEGIN_SRC sh
sudo sage -f sage_mode
#+END_SRC

After running this, the end of message includes the suggestion to add

#+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp
(add-to-list 'load-path "/usr/lib/sagemath/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/sage-mode")
(require 'sage "sage")
(setq sage-command "/usr/lib/sagemath/sage")
#+END_SRC

But if I try =C-c '= in a block like

#+BEGIN_SRC sage
f(x) = x^2
integrate(f(x), 1, 3).n()
#+END_SRC

I get

,----
| org-edit-src-code: No such language mode: sage-mode
`----

Also, I cannot publish to html in this way.

_I tried copying ob-python.el to a file ob-sage.el and replacing all instances of "python" and "py" with "sage"._

I also tried

#+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp
(add-to-list 'org-src-lang-modes '("sage" . sage))
(org-babel-do-load-languages 'org-babel-load-languages
                             '((sage . t)
                               (emacs-lisp . t)
                               (latex . t)
                               (sh . t)))
#+END_SRC

But it still tells me "No such language mode: sage-mode".

Thoughts?

--
Brady

> --
> Darlan
>
> At Mon, 06 Aug 2012 11:33:47 -1000,
> tsd@tsdye.com (Thomas S. Dye) wrote:
>>
>> Aloha Johan,
>>
>> Babel can be configured to support new languages, see
>> http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/babel/languages.html#develop
>>
>> Someone will need to write language specific functions to support code
>> block evaluation in sage.  There is a template for this.  The functions
>> written for other languages provide good examples of what the
>> sage-specific functions might look like.
>>
>> hth,
>> Tom
>>

>> Johan Ekh <ekh.johan@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>> > Hi all,
>> > sage is not listed under languages that can be used with
>> > org-babel. But it is based on
>> > Python, is it possible to use it with org-babel?
>> >
>> > /Johan
>> >
>> > Sent from my iPad
>> >

>> --
>> Thomas S. Dye
>> http://www.tsdye.com

* Re: Sagemath with org-babel?
@ 2014-11-05  0:36       ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2014-11-05  0:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brady Trainor; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Tue, Nov 4, 2014 at 4:26 PM, Brady Trainor <algebrat@uw.edu> wrote:
> Darlan Cavalcante Moreira <darcamo@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I have done this in the past, I don't have the files anymore. However, as
>> Tom says it is very easy to modify the templates to make org work with
>> sage. I remember I only needed some search and replace to make it work.
>>
>> Also, you may want to have a look at sage-mode first if you haven't
>> already.
>> http://wiki.sagemath.org/sage-mode
>>
>> With sage mode installed its is a simple matter to make "C-c '" edit the
>> source code in sage-mode.
>>

> I have tried "C-c '", but it did not work.

I took a stab at fiddling with this and think sage "works," but not in
the true babel sense like you might be expecting. My process:

- install sage
- $ sudo sage -f sage_mode
- added the following to a minimal config:

#+begin_src min-config
(add-to-list 'load-path "~/.elisp/org.git/lisp/")
(add-to-list 'load-path "/opt/sage/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/sage-mode/")

(require 'sage "sage")
(require 'sage-mode)

(setq sage-command "/opt/sage/sage")
#+end_src

Having never played with sage/sage-mode, I found the "wiki" pretty
unsatisfactory. It seemed to just cover installation, but nothing
about how to actually use it once installed! On a complete whim, I
added =(require 'sage-mode)=, which finally let me do what I was
expecting, which was =M-x sage-mode=.

With that, I'm able to use this simple file and *sort of* get it to work:

#+begin_src test.sage

print "Hello World"<point>
print 2^3

#+end_src

Just using the various M-x sage-* auto completes, I saw =sage-run=, so
I used that. It hangs for a bit and then pops up a *Sage-main* buffer
but with no results. After going back to the test.sage buffer, I can
C-c C-c at <point> and it spits out the results in *Sage-main*.

Next, I created a test.org file with the following:

#+begin_src test.org

* header

#+begin_src sage
print "Hello World"<point>
print 2^3
#+end_src

#+end_src

=C-c '= on the block gets me to a typical Org babel buffer, and I can
=C-c C-c= in it and get results output to *Sage-main*.

> My attempt:
>
> As suggested at https://bitbucket.org/gvol/sage-mode/src, I try
>
> #+BEGIN_SRC sh
> sudo sage -f sage_mode
> #+END_SRC
>
> After running this, the end of message includes the suggestion to add
>
> #+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp
> (add-to-list 'load-path "/usr/lib/sagemath/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/sage-mode")
> (require 'sage "sage")
> (setq sage-command "/usr/lib/sagemath/sage")
> #+END_SRC
>
> But if I try =C-c '= in a block like
>
> #+BEGIN_SRC sage
> f(x) = x^2
> integrate(f(x), 1, 3).n()
> #+END_SRC
>
> I get
>
> ,----
> | org-edit-src-code: No such language mode: sage-mode
> `----

I think the issue is needing =(require 'sage-mode)= in .emacs. I
seriously have *no idea* why the docs didn't say anything about this.
Perhaps someone else can chime in regarding what one can do with
=(require 'sage "sage")= but without loading sage-mode itself? The
only additional function I could get was =M-x sage-update-autoloads=.

Hope that helps!
John

> Also, I cannot publish to html in this way.
>
> _I tried copying ob-python.el to a file ob-sage.el and replacing all instances of "python" and "py" with "sage"._
>
> I also tried
>
> #+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp
> (add-to-list 'org-src-lang-modes '("sage" . sage))
> (org-babel-do-load-languages 'org-babel-load-languages
>                              '((sage . t)
>                                (emacs-lisp . t)
>                                (latex . t)
>                                (sh . t)))
> #+END_SRC
>
> But it still tells me "No such language mode: sage-mode".
>
> Thoughts?
>
> --
> Brady
>

>> --
>> Darlan
>>
>> At Mon, 06 Aug 2012 11:33:47 -1000,
>> tsd@tsdye.com (Thomas S. Dye) wrote:
>>>
>>> Aloha Johan,
>>>
>>> Babel can be configured to support new languages, see
>>> http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/babel/languages.html#develop
>>>
>>> Someone will need to write language specific functions to support code
>>> block evaluation in sage.  There is a template for this.  The functions
>>> written for other languages provide good examples of what the
>>> sage-specific functions might look like.
>>>
>>> hth,
>>> Tom

>>> --
>>> Thomas S. Dye
>>> http://www.tsdye.com

* Re: Sagemath with org-babel?
@ 2014-11-05  3:05         ` Brady Trainor
From: Brady Trainor @ 2014-11-05  3:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com> writes:

> (require 'sage-mode)

Thank you, this enabled me to at least have sage code blocks to mix into files for blog publishing.

> #+begin_src test.org
>
> * header
>
> #+begin_src sage
> print "Hello World"<point>
> print 2^3
> #+end_src
>
> #+end_src
>
> =C-c '= on the block gets me to a typical Org babel buffer, and I can
> =C-c C-c= in it and get results output to *Sage-main*.

I had to modify org-babel-load-languages to get C-c C-c to do something. But I'm not really sure what it did, or how to get it to work. But maybe this could wait till more people are showing interest here.

--
Brady

* Re: Sagemath with org-babel?
@ 2014-11-05  4:58           ` John Hendy