From: John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com>
To: "Léo Ackermann" <leo.komba@gmail.com>
Cc: emacs-orgmode <emacs-orgmode@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: Large source block causes org-mode to be unusable
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2021 13:43:36 -0500	[thread overview]

Seems known, assuming this is the same thing. I have not experienced the
phenomenon or used proof blocks, so I'm just going by google-fu matching
(which finds a lot):

https://emacs.stackexchange.com/questions/46561/org-mode-9-too-slow-with-long-code-blocks
https://emacs.stackexchange.com/questions/62376/slow-markdown-mode-as-emacs-spends-lots-of-time-fontifying
https://emacs.stackexchange.com/questions/46110/help-needed-to-debug-very-slow-markdown-mode
https://www.reddit.com/r/emacs/comments/c28svb/has_emacs_always_been_this_slow_at_highlighting/
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2015-07/msg00215.html

As with all things like this, I'd work through the old information first to
understand the true problem, if any improvements/workarounds exist, etc.
Then this lands in some bucket of outcomes:
- it's a novel find and therefore a bug (due diligence searching says this
is not the case)
- it's known bad, but not addressed (due to time or inability), but it can
be worked around (nuggets exist in the links above as well as other results
if you search "emacs fontify proof block slow")
- a true "fix" is possible, in which case this would require pinpointing
the exact problem and asking for alternatives or proposing a better/faster
way to fontify

Hope that helps,
John

P.S. This looks independent to Org, so I'm not sure if this is the best
place for the eventual resolution as this may have nothing to do with Org?
I'm no emacs guru, but from my skim I'm guessing org just pulls in some
other package vs. having it's own fontification engine.