* Way to replace normal tabular env with booktabs?
@ 2012-01-12 18:50 John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2012-01-12 18:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Greetings,

I was using wikibooks for some formatting assistance on tables the other
day and ran into mention of the booktabs package in the "Professional
tables" section. [1] [2]

I really, really liked it's formatting, especially since one of my column
headers was a fraction. The standard tabular package places the \hlines
extremely close to the top and bottom of my header row vs., as the booktabs
package says, having extremely nice looking spacing for the table. I ended
up doing the table manually inside #+begin_latex block.

Would there be any way to specify that booktabs should be used? The
formatting is literally identical except for 1) including the booktabs
package and 2) using \toprule, \midrule and \bottomrule instead of \hlines.
In fact, even with booktabs included, if you use \hlines instead of the
booktab specific lines, you'll get a "regular" tabular table.

Any thoughts on this?

Best regards,
John

-----
[1] http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/LaTeX/Tables#Professional_tables
[2] http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/macros/latex/contrib/booktabs/

* Re: Way to replace normal tabular env with booktabs?
@ 2012-01-12 20:12 ` Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2012-01-12 20:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Hendy; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi John,

Agreed, booktabs makes good looking tables.

Check out your Library of Babel.  There should  be a couple of functions
there that will help you go from Org mode to booktabs.

hth,
Tom

--
Thomas S. Dye
http://www.tsdye.com

* Re: Way to replace normal tabular env with booktabs?
@ 2012-01-12 23:19   ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2012-01-12 23:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas S. Dye; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Thu, Jan 12, 2012 at 2:12 PM, Thomas S. Dye <tsd@tsdye.com> wrote:

> Hi John,
>
> Agreed, booktabs makes good looking tables.
>
> Check out your Library of Babel.  There should  be a couple of functions
> there that will help you go from Org mode to booktabs.

Haven't done much with babel other than writing code blocks. Do you mean
this page?
--- http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/babel/library-of-babel.html

Thanks for the suggestion. Feeling a bit lost, but am happy to look around
for something that seems similar. I have no elisp-fu, so it'll need to be
pretty darn similar :)

John

@ 2012-01-13  0:01     ` Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2012-01-13  0:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Hendy; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi John,

The Library of Babel comes with your Org-mode distribution.

You'll find it at /contrib/babel/library-of-babel.org

In the org file, look for
* Tables
** LaTeX Table Export

There should be functions booktabs and booktabs-notes.

One way to use booktabs is described here:

http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/org-latex-export.html#sec-13-2

--
Thomas S. Dye
http://www.tsdye.com

* Re: Way to replace normal tabular env with booktabs?
@ 2012-01-13 13:21       ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2012-01-13 13:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas S. Dye; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Thu, Jan 12, 2012 at 6:01 PM, Thomas S. Dye <tsd@tsdye.com> wrote:

> Hi John,
>
> The Library of Babel comes with your Org-mode distribution.
>
> You'll find it at /contrib/babel/library-of-babel.org

I guess you learn something new every day!

> In the org file, look for
> * Tables
> ** LaTeX Table Export
>
> There should be functions booktabs and booktabs-notes.
>
> One way to use booktabs is described here:
>
> http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/org-latex-export.html#sec-13-2

I'll check these out. Looked at the worg howto. Not a huge fan of the
method, especially with hiding my tables, but I'll give it a shot. I figure
there's got to be a simpler way; just change the first \hline -> \toprule
and the bottom one to \bottomrule; \midrules in between.

Thanks again,
John

@ 2012-01-13 14:52         ` Niels Giesen
From: Niels Giesen @ 2012-01-13 14:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Hendy; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

There is a patch from me waiting to be incorporated into org mode that lets
one use booktabs as export for normal org tables.

You can find it @ http://patchwork.newartisans.com/patch/1016/

--
http://pft.github.com

* Re: Way to replace normal tabular env with booktabs?
@ 2012-01-13 15:35           ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2012-01-13 15:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Niels Giesen; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Fri, Jan 13, 2012 at 8:52 AM, Niels Giesen <niels.giesen@gmail.com>wrote:

> There is a patch from me waiting to be incorporated into org mode that
> lets one use booktabs as export for normal org tables.
>
> You can find it @ http://patchwork.newartisans.com/patch/1016/

Brilliant! This is fantastic. I love that you can leave it alone (default)
or choose to change the variables.

Thanks so much for chiming in.

John

@ 2012-01-13 15:39           ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2012-01-13 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Niels Giesen; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Jan 13, 2012, at 3:52 PM, Niels Giesen wrote:

> There is a patch from me waiting to be incorporated into org mode that lets one use booktabs as export for normal org tables.
>
> You can find it @ http://patchwork.newartisans.com/patch/1016/

Hi NIels,

I am looking now at this patch, and maybe it would be better to implement these three variables as one, holding a property or association list?  Makes it easily extendable.

Equally important - it would be great if you could try to implement this same change in the new exporter engine from Nicolas, to ensure that the new exporter will not lag behind.

Regards

- Carsten

> [...]
> >> I really, really liked it&#39;s formatting, especially since one of my column headers was a fraction. The standard tabular package places the \hlines extremely close to the top and bottom of my header row vs., as the booktabs package says, having extremely nice looking spacing for the table. I ended up doing the table manually inside #+begin_latex block.
> >
> >> Would there be any way to specify that booktabs should be used? The formatting is literally identical except for 1) including the booktabs package and 2) using \toprule, \midrule and \bottomrule instead of \hlines. In fact, even with booktabs included, if you use \hlines instead of the booktab specific lines, you&#39;ll get a "regular" tabular table.

- Carsten

* Re: Way to replace normal tabular env with booktabs?
@ 2012-01-13 15:48             ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2012-01-13 15:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Fri, Jan 13, 2012 at 9:39 AM, Carsten Dominik
<carsten.dominik@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Jan 13, 2012, at 3:52 PM, Niels Giesen wrote:
>
> > There is a patch from me waiting to be incorporated into org mode that
> lets one use booktabs as export for normal org tables.
> >
> > You can find it @ http://patchwork.newartisans.com/patch/1016/
>
> Hi NIels,
>
> I am looking now at this patch, and maybe it would be better to implement
> these three variables as one, holding a property or association list?
>  Makes it easily extendable.

From a pretty high-level user perspective (one who couldn't have written
that patch), I would say that from a usability point of view something like:

,---
| org-export-latex-tables-format
`---

With values of "plain/standard/default" or "booktabs" would be awesome.

That is, unless there's situations where someone would want some
combination of regular \hlines mixed with booktabs top and bottom rules?

On a usage note, I was surprised that the patch causes automatic insertion
of top and bottom rules even when the org table doesn't use ascii
top/bottom rules. In fact, if you use "|-" to put ascii rules on an org
chart using this patch, you get double rules.

Just some input from playing with the package a bit.

Thanks again,
John

@ 2012-01-13 18:32               ` Daniel Bausch
From: Daniel Bausch @ 2012-01-13 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello!

> On a usage note, I was surprised that the patch causes automatic insertion
> of top and bottom rules even when the org table doesn't use ascii
> top/bottom rules. In fact, if you use "|-" to put ascii rules on an org
> chart using this patch, you get double rules.

Disclaimer: I did not test this at all, but am interested in a convenient
booktabs support, too.

I think it is reasonable to put the top and bottom rules automatically, as
booktabs somewhat defines that as the intended look.  So it would be redundant
to require a |- on top and bottom for all tables on the org side.  I even
think that org tables with top and bottom rules do not look good, because the
vertical lines do not stop at the horizontal lines (from a visual point of
view).  This way it looks like is a very small empty table line above and
below the table.

Daniel

* Re: Way to replace normal tabular env with booktabs?
@ 2012-01-13 19:03                 ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2012-01-13 19:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Bausch; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Fri, Jan 13, 2012 at 12:32 PM, Daniel Bausch <DanielBausch@gmx.de> wrote:

> Hello!
>
> > On a usage note, I was surprised that the patch causes automatic
> insertion
> > of top and bottom rules even when the org table doesn't use ascii
> > top/bottom rules. In fact, if you use "|-" to put ascii rules on an org
> > chart using this patch, you get double rules.
>
> Disclaimer: I did not test this at all, but am interested in a convenient
> booktabs support, too.
>
> I think it is reasonable to put the top and bottom rules automatically, as
> booktabs somewhat defines that as the intended look.  So it would be
> redundant
> to require a |- on top and bottom for all tables on the org side.  I even
> think that org tables with top and bottom rules do not look good, because
> the
> vertical lines do not stop at the horizontal lines (from a visual point of
> view).  This way it looks like is a very small empty table line above and
> below the table.

I can see that point. I guess I was just surprised given the org-mode
default.

Perhaps it is just a preference with the look. I don't mind having them
"closed in" by ascii rules. In any case, what probably *shouldn't* happen
are double rules if someone by habit puts rules on their org table with |-.
That's the current behavior.

Best regards,
John

@ 2012-02-03 23:24             ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2012-02-03 23:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Fri, Jan 13, 2012 at 9:39 AM, Carsten Dominik
<carsten.dominik@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Jan 13, 2012, at 3:52 PM, Niels Giesen wrote:
>
>> There is a patch from me waiting to be incorporated into org mode that lets one use booktabs as export for normal org tables.
>>
>> You can find it @ http://patchwork.newartisans.com/patch/1016/
>
> Hi NIels,
>
> I am looking now at this patch, and maybe it would be better to implement these three variables as one, holding a property or association list?  Makes it easily extendable.
>
> Equally important - it would be great if you could try to implement this same change in the new exporter engine from Nicolas, to ensure that the new exporter will not lag behind.
>
> Regards
>
> - Carsten

Any new thoughts on this? It would be great if this could be adjusted
as mentioned and merged into org-mode! I'm still using the current
patch from Niels in a separate branch because I like it so much!

John

@ 2012-02-04 15:54               ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2012-02-04 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Hendy; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Carsten Dominik

Hello,

John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com> writes:

> On Fri, Jan 13, 2012 at 9:39 AM, Carsten Dominik
> <carsten.dominik@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Jan 13, 2012, at 3:52 PM, Niels Giesen wrote:
>>
>>> There is a patch from me waiting to be incorporated into org mode that lets one use booktabs as export for normal org tables.
>>>
>>> You can find it @ http://patchwork.newartisans.com/patch/1016/
>>
>> Hi NIels,
>>
>> I am looking now at this patch, and maybe it would be better to implement these three variables as one, holding a property or association list?  Makes it easily extendable.
>>
>> Equally important - it would be great if you could try to implement this same change in the new exporter engine from Nicolas, to ensure that the new exporter will not lag behind.
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> - Carsten
>>

> Any new thoughts on this? It would be great if this could be adjusted
> as mentioned and merged into org-mode! I'm still using the current
> patch from Niels in a separate branch because I like it so much!

I looked at the patch. I think the three variables expose too much Org
internals to the user.  It would be simpler to make use of
`org-export-latex-tabular-environment' with a "booktabs" value. Also
and #+attr_latex: booktabs should transform the table into
a booktab-table locally.

If Niels Giesen (CC'ed) doesn't mind, I will implement a modified
version of his changes for the new exporter, in a couple of days.

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: Way to replace normal tabular env with booktabs?
@ 2012-02-08 13:17                 ` Niels Giesen
From: Niels Giesen @ 2012-02-08 13:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Carsten Dominik

I say: go for it!

--
http://pft.github.com

* Re: Way to replace normal tabular env with booktabs?
@ 2012-02-08 22:32                   ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2012-02-08 22:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Niels Giesen; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Carsten Dominik

Hello,

Niels Giesen <niels.giesen@gmail.com> writes:

> I say: go for it!

Booktabs are available in e-latex backend, through "booktabs=yes"
attribute or org-e-latex-tables-booktabs variable.

I don't make use of :skipheadrule yet, since it's not in tree. Speaking
about it, it should be a good idea to including a line about it in
`orgtbl-to-generic' docstring.

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: Way to replace normal tabular env with booktabs?
@ 2012-02-09 19:50                     ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2012-02-09 19:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: Carsten Dominik, emacs-orgmode

On Wed, Feb 8, 2012 at 4:32 PM, Nicolas Goaziou <n.goaziou@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Niels Giesen <niels.giesen@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I say: go for it!
>
> Booktabs are available in e-latex backend, through "booktabs=yes"
> attribute or org-e-latex-tables-booktabs variable.

This is currently implemented? I just did a pull and don't get any
results for the variable org-e[xport]-latex-booktabs...

Sorry if I didn't understand how you implemented it.

Thanks,
JOhn

@ 2012-02-09 19:57                       ` Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2012-02-09 19:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Hendy; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Nicolas Goaziou, Carsten Dominik

Hi John,

I had the same experience.  When I restarted Emacs, it was there.
What's more, it appears to work.  I haven't had time to explore
thoroughly but the initial test worked out of the box.

All the best,

--
Thomas S. Dye
http://www.tsdye.com

* Re: Way to replace normal tabular env with booktabs?
@ 2012-02-09 20:20                         ` John Hendy
                                             ` (2 more replies)
From: John Hendy @ 2012-02-09 20:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas S. Dye; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Nicolas Goaziou, Carsten Dominik

On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 1:57 PM, Thomas S. Dye <tsd@tsdye.com> wrote:
> Hi John,
>
> I had the same experience.  When I restarted Emacs, it was there.
> What's more, it appears to work.  I haven't had time to explore
> thoroughly but the initial test worked out of the box.

I've restarted... still nothing.

,---
| Org-mode version 7.8.03 (release_7.8.03.330.gc804)
`---

Just did another fresh pull, made sure I'm on master, and still don't have it.

John

@ 2012-02-09 20:24                           ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2012-02-09 20:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Hendy
  Cc: Nicolas Goaziou, nicholas.dokos, emacs-orgmode, Carsten Dominik

John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 1:57 PM, Thomas S. Dye <tsd@tsdye.com> wrote:
> > Hi John,
> >
> > I had the same experience.  When I restarted Emacs, it was there.
> > What's more, it appears to work.  I haven't had time to explore
> > thoroughly but the initial test worked out of the box.
>
> I've restarted... still nothing.
>
> ,---
> | Org-mode version 7.8.03 (release_7.8.03.330.gc804)
> `---
>
> Just did another fresh pull, made sure I'm on master, and still don't have it.

Make sure org-mode/contrib/lisp is in your load-path and do

(require 'org-export)

This is ngz's new experimental exporter - IIUC.

Nick

@ 2012-02-09 20:27                           ` Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2012-02-09 20:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Hendy; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Nicolas Goaziou, Carsten Dominik

Sorry John,

I think the important step is (require 'org-e-latex).  When I checked
just now I couldn't see org-e-latex-booktables, but when I went back to
my initialization code and ran it, the variable was visible.

--
Thomas S. Dye
http://www.tsdye.com

* Re: Way to replace normal tabular env with booktabs?
@ 2012-02-09 20:29                           ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2012-02-09 20:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Hendy
  Cc: Nicolas Goaziou, nicholas.dokos, emacs-orgmode, Carsten Dominik

John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 1:57 PM, Thomas S. Dye <tsd@tsdye.com> wrote:
> > Hi John,
> >
> > I had the same experience.  When I restarted Emacs, it was there.
> > What's more, it appears to work.  I haven't had time to explore
> > thoroughly but the initial test worked out of the box.
>
> I've restarted... still nothing.
>
> ,---
> | Org-mode version 7.8.03 (release_7.8.03.330.gc804)
> `---
>
> Just did another fresh pull, made sure I'm on master, and still don't have it.

... oh, one more thing: to use it, *don't do* C-c C-e (that will give
you the standard exporter). You have to invoke it explicitly with

	   M-x org-export-dispatch RET

Nick

@ 2012-02-09 21:09                             ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2012-02-09 21:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nicholas.dokos; +Cc: Nicolas Goaziou, emacs-orgmode, Carsten Dominik

On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 2:29 PM, Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos@hp.com> wrote:
> John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 1:57 PM, Thomas S. Dye <tsd@tsdye.com> wrote:
>> > Hi John,
>> >
>> > I had the same experience.  When I restarted Emacs, it was there.
>> > What's more, it appears to work.  I haven't had time to explore
>> > thoroughly but the initial test worked out of the box.
>>
>> I've restarted... still nothing.
>>
>> ,---
>> | Org-mode version 7.8.03 (release_7.8.03.330.gc804)
>> `---
>>
>> Just did another fresh pull, made sure I'm on master, and still don't have it.
>>

> ... oh, one more thing: to use it, *don't do* C-c C-e (that will give
> you the standard exporter). You have to invoke it explicitly with
>
>           M-x org-export-dispatch RET

Ah. That makes more sense. I haven't used the new exporter. I'm
skimming the .el file to see how it differs.

Tom -- I saw your note as well and I think we're all on the same page
now. I didn't get that it was in the new exporter.

Thanks for the input,
John

@ 2012-02-09 21:26                             ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2012-02-09 21:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nicholas.dokos; +Cc: Nicolas Goaziou, emacs-orgmode, Carsten Dominik

On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 2:29 PM, Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos@hp.com> wrote:
> John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 1:57 PM, Thomas S. Dye <tsd@tsdye.com> wrote:
>> > Hi John,
>> >
>> > I had the same experience.  When I restarted Emacs, it was there.
>> > What's more, it appears to work.  I haven't had time to explore
>> > thoroughly but the initial test worked out of the box.
>>
>> I've restarted... still nothing.
>>
>> ,---
>> | Org-mode version 7.8.03 (release_7.8.03.330.gc804)
>> `---
>>
>> Just did another fresh pull, made sure I'm on master, and still don't have it.
>>

> ... oh, one more thing: to use it, *don't do* C-c C-e (that will give
> you the standard exporter). You have to invoke it explicitly with
>
>           M-x org-export-dispatch RET

Got it. Works. What's the status on this exporter? I have settings in
a setupfile for latex export, which this (obviously) doesn't pick up
since it's bypassing. Thus, it looks like I'll have to set individual
options via the org-e-latex family of variables. But... it might be
nice to know when this will be pulled in. Should I invest in it or
stick to the normal exporter for now (which does work with the
booktabs patch)?

Thanks,
John

@ 2012-02-09 22:04                               ` Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2012-02-09 22:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Hendy
  Cc: Nicolas Goaziou, nicholas.dokos, emacs-orgmode, Carsten Dominik

John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com> writes:

> On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 2:29 PM, Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos@hp.com> wrote:
>> John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I've restarted... still nothing.
>>>
>>> ,---
>>> `---
>>>
>>> Just did another fresh pull, made sure I'm on master, and still don't have it.
>>>

>> ... oh, one more thing: to use it, *don't do* C-c C-e (that will give
>> you the standard exporter). You have to invoke it explicitly with
>>
>>           M-x org-export-dispatch RET
>
> Got it. Works. What's the status on this exporter? I have settings in
> a setupfile for latex export, which this (obviously) doesn't pick up
> since it's bypassing. Thus, it looks like I'll have to set individual
> options via the org-e-latex family of variables. But... it might be
> nice to know when this will be pulled in. Should I invest in it or
> stick to the normal exporter for now (which does work with the
> booktabs patch)?

The LaTeX and ASCII backends are still in EXPERIMENTAL.  The underlying
parser, etc. are in contrib.

I don't know if there is a schedule for moving this to the Org Mode
core, but it looks certain to make it there someday.

My $0.02 would be to wait for it to move to core and have some
documentation outside the docstrings in the .el files and the occasional
message to the list.

At this point Nicolas welcomes comments, so if you have time to
experiment with it you might be able to help him out.

I'm using it now on a real project with a distant time horizon.  The
document is still simple, but the experimental LaTeX exporter is doing a
good job.  I'm finding it relatively easy to configure.

All the best,
Tom

--
Thomas S. Dye
http://www.tsdye.com

* Re: Way to replace normal tabular env with booktabs?
@ 2012-02-13 22:13                                 ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2012-02-13 22:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas S. Dye
  Cc: Nicolas Goaziou, nicholas.dokos, emacs-orgmode, Carsten Dominik

On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 4:04 PM, Thomas S. Dye <tsd@tsdye.com> wrote:
> John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com> writes:

>>> ... oh, one more thing: to use it, *don't do* C-c C-e (that will give
>>> you the standard exporter). You have to invoke it explicitly with
>>>
>>>           M-x org-export-dispatch RET
>>
>> Got it. Works. What's the status on this exporter? I have settings in
>> a setupfile for latex export, which this (obviously) doesn't pick up
>> since it's bypassing. Thus, it looks like I'll have to set individual
>> options via the org-e-latex family of variables. But... it might be
>> nice to know when this will be pulled in. Should I invest in it or
>> stick to the normal exporter for now (which does work with the
>> booktabs patch)?
>
> The LaTeX and ASCII backends are still in EXPERIMENTAL.  The underlying
> parser, etc. are in contrib.
>
> I don't know if there is a schedule for moving this to the Org Mode
> core, but it looks certain to make it there someday.
>
> My $0.02 would be to wait for it to move to core and have some
> documentation outside the docstrings in the .el files and the occasional
> message to the list.

Cool -- thanks for the feedback.

> At this point Nicolas welcomes comments, so if you have time to
> experiment with it you might be able to help him out.

I just may! This will be hobby-ish, so we'll see. The current exporter
works so well and the booktabs patch is handling my workflow find, so
not sure I have huge incentive to try something new at this point, but
still might try it out.

> I'm using it now on a real project with a distant time horizon.  The
> document is still simple, but the experimental LaTeX exporter is doing a
> good job.  I'm finding it relatively easy to configure.

Yes -- the variables in the group seemed super clear/transparent.

Thanks again for the input,
John