Sorry for the long title, but that's the summary! I fired up a fresh Emacs session and used =C-a s search-term RET= to navigate to a headline in the results by putting the cursor on the line and pressing RET. The file text was all black. If I visited the file directly, I had the typical color-coded text for headlines/keywords. I decided to replicate with a minimal config, and I was able to. Here's the context of the min config: #+begin_min-config ;; set load paths ;; set load dirs and global config options (add-to-list 'load-path "~/.elisp/org.git/lisp/") (add-to-list 'load-path "~/.elisp/org.git/contrib/lisp") #+end_min-config This was on a work file, and I couldn't initially replicate with a test file... but it appears it has to do with my header options. Here's the test file: #+begin_src org #+setupfile: "~/org/aux/setupfile.org" #+options: <:t num:t author:t creator:nil tags:t toc:nil date:t #+latex_header: \usepackage{lscape} #+latex_header: \usepackage{amsmath} * Test headline Some paragraph just to give me a keyword to search for ** Sub headline Some more text in the next headline #+end_src My process: - emacs -Q - M-x load-file RET ~/path/to/min-config RET - C-x C-f /path/to/file.org RET - C-c [ to add to agenda list - C-x C-k RET to kill buffer - M-x org-agenda RET s RET text RET - Navigate to test.org matching line RET - File looks like attached pic I deleted everything but my #+setupfile line and it still does that. Without any #+ options at the top of the file, it appears in color. John