* Problem with template expansion of previous prompts.
@ 2012-12-06 15:52 Michael Baum
From: Michael Baum @ 2012-12-06 15:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

This syntax in capture templates does not seem to be working for me, and I
can't figure out why:

------------------------8<----------------------------
%\n         Insert the text entered at the nth %^{prompt}, where n is
               a number, starting from 1.
------------------------8<----------------------------

I'm using it like this:

------------------------8<----------------------------
("a" "Addressbook templates")
("af" "Addressbook - family" entry (file+headline org-addressbook-file
"Family")
"* %^{First name} %^{Middle name} %^{Last name}
:PROPERTIES:
:FIRSTNAME: %\1
:MIDDLENAME: %\2
:LASTNAME: %\3
:ADDRESS-H: %^{Home address}
:HOMEPHONE: %^{Home phone}
usw.
------------------------8<----------------------------

But instead of the template filling in the second reference with the values
entered for, eg., {First name}, I get, (also eg.) %^A (and the ^A is
highlighted, maybe a control character?)

Has this syntax maybe changed in a way not reflected in the manual?

Using org-mode 7.9.2 on GNU Emacs 24.2.1 (x86_64-suse-linux-gnu, GTK+
Version 3.4.4)
 of 2012-10-10 on build20.

maab

--
====================================
Michael Baum <maabaum@gmail.com>

You should never have your best trousers on when you go out
 to fight for freedom and truth. - Ibsen

* Re: Problem with template expansion of previous prompts.
@ 2012-12-06 23:34 ` Aaron Ecay
From: Aaron Ecay @ 2012-12-06 23:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Baum, emacs-orgmode

You need to escape the backslash inside the string, I think.  "\1" is
interpreted as a string consisting of one character, the ASCII character
with hex code 0x01, which happens to be C-a.  "\\1" is a 2-character
string: backslash, then one.

--
Aaron Ecay

* Re: Problem with template expansion of previous prompts.
@ 2012-12-07 20:18   ` Michael Baum
From: Michael Baum @ 2012-12-07 20:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode, aaronecay

Yes, you're correct, Aaron, thanks. Apparently the secondary substitutions
only get processed after all the questions are asked and the template is
written out to the temp buffer. So the backslash has to be escaped to
survive the first round of substitutions.

I kind of feel that this should be stated more explicitly in the manual. IN
BOLD TYPE.

maabaum

--
====================================

@ 2012-12-24  1:17     ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2012-12-24  1:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Baum; +Cc: aaronecay, emacs-orgmode

Hi Michael,

Michael Baum <maabaum@gmail.com> writes:

> Yes, you're correct, Aaron, thanks. Apparently the secondary
> substitutions only get processed after all the questions are asked
> and the template is written out to the temp buffer. So the backslash
> has to be escaped to survive the first round of substitutions.
>
> I kind of feel that this should be stated more explicitly in the
> manual. IN BOLD TYPE.

Can you suggest something more precise?  Or send a patch?
We will not use uppercase warnings, but we may try to be more
explicit.

 Bastien