Sebastien: Thanks! That helps a lot. I'm having trouble extending your example, however. A couple of questions -- - What signals the end of the block of text to be used as data? I take it that it's important that these all be comment lines staring with a colon after the #+name label? Is there a way to do the same thing with a begin and end block construction? - In this line: #+begin_src sh :stdin lines-of-text :results output does the flag :stdin mean that the following named block literally becomes the STDIN stream for the code block? If I replace your shell/grep example with this: #+begin_src perl :stdin lines-of-text :results output while (<>) { print $_; } #+end_src ...it doesn't work, although as far as I know that perl code snippet should in fact simply print out the incoming lines from stdin. Thanks again, Michael On Fri, Feb 8, 2013 at 3:17 PM, Sebastien Vauban wrote: > Hi Michael, > > Michael Baum wrote: > > I haven't been able to figure this out from the org-mode documents yet. > > What I would like to do is have a source code block in python or perl or > > something similar. to which I can pass a reference to several lines of > text > > that the source code block, when evaluated, would then act on. Which > would > > involve iterating through the data text one line at a time and writing > the > > output to a buffer. > > > > The text data could be indicated by a specific headline or a named block > of > > some sort or maybe an internal link, I'm not particularly fussy just so > > there's a mechanism to do this. > > > > Would appreciate any guidance. > > #+name: lines-of-text > : I haven't been able to figure this out from the org-mode documents yet. > : What I would like to do is have a source code block in python or perl or > : something similar. to which I can pass a reference to several lines of > text > : that the source code block, when evaluated, would then act on. Which > would > : involve iterating through the data text one line at a time and writing > the > : output to a buffer. > > #+begin_src sh :stdin lines-of-text :results output > grep would > #+end_src > > #+results: > #+begin_example > What I would like to do is have a source code block in python or perl or > that the source code block, when evaluated, would then act on. Which would > #+end_example > > Best regards, > Seb > > -- > Sebastien Vauban > > > -- ==================================== Michael Baum You should never have your best trousers on when you go out to fight for freedom and truth. - Ibsen