From: Tom Gillespie <tgbugs@gmail.com>
To: emacs-orgmode <emacs-orgmode@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: URLs with brackets not recognised
Date: Wed, 12 May 2021 15:23:57 -0700	[thread overview]

A quick fix is to percent encode the troublesome characters, but the
underlying issue is in org-link-any-re which is defined in
org-link-make-regexps which is what org uses to find the next link.
Some improvements might be possible for some of the edge cases there,
but a complete solution for bare urls is not possible due to conflicts
with native org syntax.

Org doesn't handle these cases well because in some cases org's own
syntax takes priority over url syntax at the moment adding bare url
syntax as part of org syntax is something that could be considered.
However, I would suggest against that because it will taint any org
parser in the future by forcing it to implement full url parsing at
arbitrary positions in paragraphs, which adds a lot of complexity. I
also suggest against it because org already has clear ways to
demarcate links using <> and [[]] which are guaranteed to behave
correctly even in cases where org syntax will always take priority.
For example with
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cathedral_Basilica_of_St._John_the_Baptist_[[Savannah,_Georgia]].

> It might be worthwhile to issue an warning each time a url is written in
> an org file without enclosing brackets < > or [[ ]].

Unfortunately warning on links without < > or [[ ]] will generate
countless annoying false positives for anyone who doesn't hit this
edge case. Maybe a separate function could be added to org lint that
would not run all the time?