That's an excellent response, Eric! Now what about this block: #+begin_src shell printf "%s" ' (computer . ?type) exit' #+end_src ср, 19 февр. 2020 г. в 19:56, Fraga, Eric : > On Wednesday, 19 Feb 2020 at 12:38, Bastien wrote: > > "0" is the _exit code_ of the successful echo command, not the value > > returned by the echo command. > > But echo does not "return" the string as a value. It outputs the > string. > > To quote the man page for bash, "the return value of a simple command is > its status". Further, a function does not actually return any value > beyond the status of the last command or a value given on a =return= > statement. > > > So In Vladimir's example, both ":results value" and ":results output" > > should return the same result, i.e. ".". > > I disagree. I think the current behaviour (i.e. before your attempt to > "correct"" this) is correct given the documentation you quoted! > > > Was it common to expect the exit code when executing shell code? > > Common? I have no idea. *I* did expect this. But that's maybe because > I do use the shell a lot. > > I think there's a clear distinction between value and output for src > blocks and blurring this distinction for shell src blocks would be > misleading. The option to request the output as the outcome of the src > block is already there. > -- > : Eric S Fraga via Emacs 28.0.50, Org release_9.3.6-345-g415083 > -- Yours sincerely, Vladimir Nikishkin