* [OT] LWN article on Easybook
@ 2012-08-07 17:49 Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2012-08-07 17:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode; +Cc: nicholas.dokos

Linux Weekly News published an article on Easybook.  I know this is only
tangentially related to org, but I think there are many people here who
are interested in e-books and related topics, so I thought I'd post the
link: [fn:1][fn:2]

http://lwn.net/Articles/507653/

Nick

Footnotes:

[fn:1] LWN requires a subscription for the articles it publishes in its
       weekly issues the first week they are available, but this article
       was published two weeks ago and so it should be freely available
       by now.

[fn:2] BTW, this is all fyi: I have no connection to Easybook, nor have
       I ever used it.

* Re: [OT] LWN article on Easybook
@ 2012-08-08 12:16 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2012-08-08 12:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nicholas.dokos; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos@hp.com> writes:

> http://lwn.net/Articles/507653/

Quoting the author:

  "I am not a huge fan of Markdown; in my experience its not-quite-HTML
  syntax requires just as much mental effort as HTML, but subsequently
  requires you to process your output before reading it."

Precisely where Org has a point: ~0 markup, ~0 mental effort.

Thanks for the link!

--
 Bastien

* Re: [OT] LWN article on Easybook
@ 2012-08-09 10:31   ` Aurélien Aptel
From: Aurélien Aptel @ 2012-08-09 10:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: nicholas.dokos, emacs-orgmode

On Wed, Aug 8, 2012 at 2:16 PM, Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> wrote:
> Precisely where Org has a point: ~0 markup, ~0 mental effort.

Markdown is very similar to Org for basic outlining. I don't
understand how either one can require mental effort.

# title1
## title2

paragraph. *italic* and **bold**. [link](http://google.com).

> quote
> > nested quote

- item
- item

    code block
    code block

etc

* Re: [OT] LWN article on Easybook
@ 2012-08-10  7:28     ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2012-08-10  7:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aurélien Aptel; +Cc: nicholas.dokos, emacs-orgmode

Aurélien Aptel <aurelien.aptel@gmail.com> writes:

> Markdown is very similar to Org for basic outlining. I don't
> understand how either one can require mental effort.

I think the author consider "memory" to result from a "mental
effort".  Which is debatable -- but that you have to memorise
Markdown markup more than Org's one is quite true to me, as
Emacs _is_ already the memory for Org's markup.

I'm off now with the OT :)

--
 Bastien