* export presentations: org to ppt or odp
@ 2013-03-25 15:34 Vinh Nguyen
From: Vinh Nguyen @ 2013-03-25 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi everyone,

This question is probably for Jambunathan K: is an org to ppt or odp
exporter in the works?  Was wondering whether most of the work could
be borrowed form the org to odt exporter.

If anyone is wondering, why export presentations to odp or ppt when
export to pdf (via beamer) and html (S5) are available?  Those two
works well for me personally, but for work, we tend to collaborate
with others, and truth of the matter is that everyone else uses
powerpoint.  The files need to be editable and re-usable by others in
a format they could work with.

If anyone else has a current work flow they use to convert org to ppt,
please do share.  Any way to go from org to latex to ppt?  Or org to
s5 to ppt?  I did a quick google but wasn't able to find anything.
Thanks!

-- Vinh

* Re: export presentations: org to ppt or odp
@ 2013-03-25 15:44 ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2013-03-25 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vinh Nguyen; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Mon, Mar 25, 2013 at 10:34 AM, Vinh Nguyen <vinhdizzo@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> This question is probably for Jambunathan K: is an org to ppt or odp
> exporter in the works?  Was wondering whether most of the work could
> be borrowed form the org to odt exporter.
>
> If anyone is wondering, why export presentations to odp or ppt when
> export to pdf (via beamer) and html (S5) are available?  Those two
> works well for me personally, but for work, we tend to collaborate
> with others, and truth of the matter is that everyone else uses
> powerpoint.  The files need to be editable and re-usable by others in
> a format they could work with.

I'd definitely love this, primarily if it allowed one to use a
pre-defined POTX template file for export. My division at work has a
new VP who is quite particular about *everyone* using the new
template. I'm going to keep using Beamer, but may be asked directly to
conform. I'd hate to lose all of my Org usage just for the sake of
having to get a PPT for the sake of creating mostly-one-time
presentations at business updates.

I've considered just trying to re-create the template as a Beamer
template, but that can get pretty involved from my previous attempt to
do so.

Also, like Vinh, others ask me, "Say, can you send me that
presentation? I've love to use some of the stuff from it." They intend
to re-use pictures or copy/paste information. It's not uncommon for me
to have to say, "Um. Yeah. The thing is that I use this kind of weird
program. Basically, no, I can't give you anything usable."

For most purposes, Beamer is just fine, but this would be awesome for
those types of situations.

Look forward to what others have to say!

John

@ 2013-03-25 16:05 ` Christian Moe
From: Christian Moe @ 2013-03-25 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vinh Nguyen; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Vinh Nguyen writes:
> If anyone is wondering, why export presentations to odp or ppt when
> export to pdf (via beamer) and html (S5) are available?  Those two
> works well for me personally, but for work, we tend to collaborate
> with others, and truth of the matter is that everyone else uses
> powerpoint.

I feel your pain...

You're probably aware of this already, but: if your Org presentation is
organized in headings with subheadings for bullet points, you can export
it to ODT, then use the OpenOffice/LibreOffice command File > Send >
Outline to Presentation. But that only takes care of the outline, not
your pictures, quotations etc.

Yours,
Christian