* org-mobile setup: org-mobile-push not copying my org files?
@ 2011-07-04 17:40 Vinh Nguyen
From: Vinh Nguyen @ 2011-07-04 17:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Dear list,

I'm having trouble setting up org-mobile in emacs for use with
MobileOrg on Android.  I have the following in my init file:

;; org-mode OrgMobile
(setq org-directory "~/Documents/Org") ;; my folder is empty
(setq org-mobile-directory "~/Dropbox/MobileOrg")
(setq org-mobile-inbox-for-pull "~/Documents/Org/notes.org")

In ~/Documents/Org, I have a file notes.org that contain my notes.

When I call org-mobile-push, only 4 files get created in ~ /Dropbox/MobileOrg:
agendas.org, checksum.dat, index.org, and mobileorg.org.

Based on my understanding, ~/Documents/Org/notes.org should be copied
to ~/Dropbox/MobileOrg/, and a link to notes.org should be created in
index.org.  However, this does not happen.  Am I not configuring
things correctly or am I misunderstanding how to use org-mobile?

I also tried setting:
(setq org-mobile-files (quote "notes.org"))

but this does not work either.

Thanks for your help.
-- Vinh

* Re: org-mobile setup: org-mobile-push not copying my org files?
@ 2011-07-04 19:01 ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2011-07-04 19:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Vinh Nguyen <vinhdizzo@gmail.com> writes:

Hi Vinh,

> I'm having trouble setting up org-mobile in emacs for use with
> MobileOrg on Android.  I have the following in my init file:
>
> ;; org-mode OrgMobile
> (setq org-directory "~/Documents/Org") ;; my folder is empty

Why is that folder empty?

> (setq org-mobile-directory "~/Dropbox/MobileOrg")
> (setq org-mobile-inbox-for-pull "~/Documents/Org/notes.org")
>
> In ~/Documents/Org, I have a file notes.org that contain my notes.

I think it's preferrable to use an org file you don't use otherwise as
inbox.  When pulling from MobileOrg, all notes you caputed on your phone
will go there so that you can refile them.

> When I call org-mobile-push, only 4 files get created in
> ~/Dropbox/MobileOrg: agendas.org, checksum.dat, index.org, and
> mobileorg.org.

The latter is where MobileOrg puts its changes in.

> Based on my understanding, ~/Documents/Org/notes.org should be copied
> to ~/Dropbox/MobileOrg/, and a link to notes.org should be created in
> index.org.  However, this does not happen.  Am I not configuring
> things correctly or am I misunderstanding how to use org-mobile?
>
> I also tried setting:
> (setq org-mobile-files (quote "notes.org"))
>
> but this does not work either.

The default value is (org-agenda-files), so it should push all your org
files to `org-mobile-directory'.  What does C-x C-e after the closing
paren above return?

My settings are

  (setq org-mobile-directory "~/Desktop/Dropbox/MobileOrg")
  (setq org-mobile-inbox-for-pull "~/repos/org/from-org-mobile.org")

which work pretty well.

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: org-mobile setup: org-mobile-push not copying my org files?
@ 2011-07-06  4:23 ` Vinh Nguyen
From: Vinh Nguyen @ 2011-07-06  4:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Mon, Jul 4, 2011 at 10:40 AM, Vinh Nguyen <vinhdizzo@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> I'm having trouble setting up org-mobile in emacs for use with
> MobileOrg on Android.  I have the following in my init file:
>
> ;; org-mode OrgMobile
> (setq org-directory "~/Documents/Org") ;; my folder is empty
> (setq org-mobile-directory "~/Dropbox/MobileOrg")
> (setq org-mobile-inbox-for-pull "~/Documents/Org/notes.org")
>
> In ~/Documents/Org, I have a file notes.org that contain my notes.
>
> When I call org-mobile-push, only 4 files get created in ~ /Dropbox/MobileOrg:
> agendas.org, checksum.dat, index.org, and mobileorg.org.
>
> Based on my understanding, ~/Documents/Org/notes.org should be copied
> to ~/Dropbox/MobileOrg/, and a link to notes.org should be created in
> index.org.  However, this does not happen.  Am I not configuring
> things correctly or am I misunderstanding how to use org-mobile?
>
> I also tried setting:
> (setq org-mobile-files (quote "notes.org"))
>
> but this does not work either.

Setting the following made it work (file copied to MobileOrg's staging
directory):
(setq org-mobile-files (list "~/Documents/Org/notes.org"))