* Feature that org mode needs most
@ 2012-07-17 21:15 Joseph Thomas
From: Joseph Thomas @ 2012-07-17 21:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello.
I couldn't believe I hadn't been aware of org mode until a few months ago,
as someone who's been using emacs for everything for many years.

I use it to journal how all my time is spent in a given work day- for both
work related tasks and non-work tasks (ex.  getting coffee, lunch,
conversations, etc.).  Org mode is the only GTD software package I've seen
that makes this possible without getting in the way.  It just needs one
small thing that keeps it from being perfect.

Those who use it the same way I do (as a log of how all time was spent in a
given day), there's no easy way I can see to make quick adjustments to
clocked time between activities.  Every day I will forget to clock to a new
activity at some point.  By the time I remember, time has passed.  For
example, I come back from a meeting and begin to work on a project.  20
minutes into it, I clock in.  But I must then manually adjust both the
previous activity and the current one so that they are accurate and don't
overlap in the agenda view.  This can be cumbersome, which seems to go
against the overall idea of org mode.  All that is needed to correct it is
either a new fn and key binding, or a prefix arg to org-clock-in that
allows you to enter an adjustment (in this example, 20) to subtract from
the previous clock's out time and current clock's in time.

Seems like it would be a minor thing to add that would make an enormous
difference for users like me.

Thanks for reading my request!

Regards,
Joe

* Re: Feature that org mode needs most
@ 2012-07-17 21:33 ` Mehul Sanghvi
From: Mehul Sanghvi @ 2012-07-17 21:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joseph Thomas; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 5:15 PM, Joseph Thomas <six50joe@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello.
> I couldn't believe I hadn't been aware of org mode until a few months ago,
> as someone who's been using emacs for everything for many years.
>
> I use it to journal how all my time is spent in a given work day- for both
> work related tasks and non-work tasks (ex.  getting coffee, lunch,
> conversations, etc.).  Org mode is the only GTD software package I've seen
> that makes this possible without getting in the way.  It just needs one
> small thing that keeps it from being perfect.
>
> Those who use it the same way I do (as a log of how all time was spent in a
> given day), there's no easy way I can see to make quick adjustments to
> clocked time between activities.  Every day I will forget to clock to a new
> activity at some point.  By the time I remember, time has passed.  For
> example, I come back from a meeting and begin to work on a project.  20
> minutes into it, I clock in.  But I must then manually adjust both the
> previous activity and the current one so that they are accurate and don't
> overlap in the agenda view.  This can be cumbersome, which seems to go
> against the overall idea of org mode.  All that is needed to correct it is
> either a new fn and key binding, or a prefix arg to org-clock-in that allows
> you to enter an adjustment (in this example, 20) to subtract from the
> previous clock's out time and current clock's in time.
>
> Seems like it would be a minor thing to add that would make an enormous
> difference for users like me.
>
> Thanks for reading my request!
>
> Regards,
> Joe

Joe,

     You can use the S-up and S-down key combinations to adjust the clocks for
the current activity and the previous one.  Move over to the hour and
do S-up or S-down,
then do the same with the minutes.  The date gets adjusted
automatically if you're
straddling midnight.

cheers,

       mehul

p.s. does that make org-mode perfect now ? :)

--
Mehul N. Sanghvi
email: mehul.sanghvi@gmail.com

* Re: Feature that org mode needs most
@ 2012-07-18  8:50 ` Giovanni Ridolfi
From: Giovanni Ridolfi @ 2012-07-18  8:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joseph Thomas, emacs-orgmode@gnu.org; +Cc: Bernt Hansen

Hi, Joseph,
(I cc'ed also Bernt Hansen, aka "the king of clocking" ;-)
maybe he has better ideas; he's more experience than me, for sure ;)

From: Rainer Stengele @ 2012-07-18  9:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mehul Sanghvi; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Joseph Thomas

Am 17.07.2012 23:33, schrieb Mehul Sanghvi:
> On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 5:15 PM, Joseph Thomas <six50joe@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello.
>> I couldn't believe I hadn't been aware of org mode until a few months ago,
>> as someone who's been using emacs for everything for many years.
>>
>> I use it to journal how all my time is spent in a given work day- for both
>> work related tasks and non-work tasks (ex.  getting coffee, lunch,
>> conversations, etc.).  Org mode is the only GTD software package I've seen
>> that makes this possible without getting in the way.  It just needs one
>> small thing that keeps it from being perfect.
>>
>> Those who use it the same way I do (as a log of how all time was spent in a
>> given day), there's no easy way I can see to make quick adjustments to
>> clocked time between activities.  Every day I will forget to clock to a new
>> activity at some point.  By the time I remember, time has passed.  For
>> example, I come back from a meeting and begin to work on a project.  20
>> minutes into it, I clock in.  But I must then manually adjust both the
>> previous activity and the current one so that they are accurate and don't
>> overlap in the agenda view.  This can be cumbersome, which seems to go
>> against the overall idea of org mode.  All that is needed to correct it is
>> either a new fn and key binding, or a prefix arg to org-clock-in that allows
>> you to enter an adjustment (in this example, 20) to subtract from the
>> previous clock's out time and current clock's in time.
>>
>> Seems like it would be a minor thing to add that would make an enormous
>> difference for users like me.
>>
>> Thanks for reading my request!
>>
>> Regards,
>> Joe
>

> Joe,
>
>      You can use the S-up and S-down key combinations to adjust the clocks for
> the current activity and the previous one.  Move over to the hour and
> do S-up or S-down,
> then do the same with the minutes.  The date gets adjusted
> automatically if you're
> straddling midnight.
>

> cheers,
>
>        mehul
>
> p.s. does that make org-mode perfect now ? :)

Hi,

as a help being in agenda view pressing "v c" will:

v c
    Show overlapping clock entries, clocking gaps, and other clocking
problems in the current agenda range. You can then visit clocking lines
and fix them manually. See the variable
org-agenda-clock-consistency-checks for information on how to customize
the definition of what constituted a clocking problem. To return to
normal agenda display, press l to exit Logbook mode.

Cheers,
Rainer

* Re: Feature that org mode needs most
@ 2012-07-18 14:01   ` Joseph Thomas
From: Joseph Thomas @ 2012-07-18 14:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Giovanni Ridolfi; +Cc: Bernt Hansen, emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Giovanni, thanks so much for taking the time to respond.

I had learned about the idle time feature from the info docs when I first
started using org.  The reason this solution won't work for me though is
that, if I understand correctly, it would only apply in scenarios where
my emacs session detects inactivity for the configured amount of time, like
when I leave my desk.  If so, this doesn't cover the scenarios where I
begin working on a new task at my computer but forget to clock-in to the
new task in org (about 60% of the cases where I forget).

However, I reviewed your other suggestions.  I did download the latest
snapshot of org from git, but as I need to maintain my todo.in NT emacs at
work, I don't have make and so just hacked my config by replacing the emacs
23.4.1 distribution org .el files with the current ones.   I needed to
comment out the org-version.el warning, but otherwise everything seems to
work fine.  The new "v c" agenda view is great!  Very useful.

It appears for those like myself that what will work best under the latest
functionality is the following use case, which I tested a little while ago:
 In my forget-to-clock-in-to-new-task scenario,
1. I use org-resolve-clocks, with the "K" option.
2. I then specify the number of minutes that passed since I forgot.
3. Clock in to the new task.
4. Org kindly asks me if I would like to clock-in but adjusting for the
same amount of minutes.

This solution best best allows me to keep accurate clocks without
disrupting focus on my current activity, and will already make a big
difference going forward.  If, in the future though, you implemented S-up
and S-down functionality so that it adjusted current and previous clocks
simultaneously (or at least the ability to turn this on as an option), I
would be your biggest fan :)

Regards,
Joe

On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 4:50 AM, Giovanni Ridolfi <giovanni.ridolfi@yahoo.it

@ 2012-07-18 14:06   ` Joseph Thomas
From: Joseph Thomas @ 2012-07-18 14:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Giovanni Ridolfi; +Cc: Bernt Hansen, emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Forgot to ask in my last response- since I plan to use org-resolve-clocks
much more regularly than perhaps it was intended, I would like to make a
key biniding for it.  If there are plans to do this in an emacs
distribution at some point, I'd like to choose something logical- ideally
something that the org team would choose.  Could you make a suggestion?

Thanks again!

@ 2012-07-18 15:46     ` Giovanni Ridolfi
From: Joseph Thomas @ 2012-07-18 15:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Giovanni Ridolfi; +Cc: Orgmode

Thanks so much, I'll follow the instructions on this page, it seems like a
better  approach than what I did earlier today.

On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 11:46 AM, Giovanni Ridolfi <

@ 2012-07-18 18:26         ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2012-07-18 18:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joseph Thomas; +Cc: Orgmode

You might want to check out Brent's answer to a similar question I
asked a bit back (basically an expanded version of some answers given
above):
- http://www.mail-archive.com/emacs-orgmode@gnu.org/msg40499.html

Also, per your shortcut question, I have this in ~/.emacs:

,---
| (global-set-key "\C-cr" 'org-resolve-clocks)
`---

Best regards,
John

* Re: Feature that org mode needs most
@ 2012-07-19 14:00           ` Giovanni Ridolfi
> You might want to check out Brent's answer to a similar question I
> asked a bit back (basically an expanded version of some answers given
> above):
> - http://www.mail-archive.com/emacs-orgmode@gnu.org/msg40499.html

I haven't tought to the "K" option!
really thank you!

...Giovanni

* Re: Feature that org mode needs most
@ 2012-07-20  7:34     ` Giovanni Ridolfi
> I plan to use org-resolve-clocks much more

> regularly than perhaps it was intended, I would like to make a key biniding for it.

>  If there are plans to do this in an emacs distribution at some point,

I don't think so:
key bindings are really personal, depends on how much you do use the function bond ;-)

> I'd like to choose something logical- ideally something that the org team would choose.

> Could you make a suggestion?

how about F11 like Bernt?

cheers,
Giovanni

* Re: Feature that org mode needs most
@ 2012-07-27 23:25     ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2012-07-27 23:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joseph Thomas; +Cc: Bernt Hansen, emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Hi Joseph,

Joseph Thomas <six50joe@gmail.com> writes:

>  Could you make a suggestion?

From latest git, you can now use `C-c C-x C-z'.

Nothing really logical -- ideally, this would have been

C-c C-x C-zzzzzz

:)

--
 Bastien

* Re: Feature that org mode needs most
@ 2012-07-27 23:27     ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2012-07-27 23:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joseph Thomas; +Cc: Bernt Hansen, emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Hi Joseph,

Joseph Thomas <six50joe@gmail.com> writes:

> This solution best best allows me to keep accurate clocks without
> disrupting focus on my current activity, and will already make a big
> difference going forward.

You might want to have a look at `org-clock-continuously', that I
implemented last week.  It defaults to nil, but from the docstring:
"Non-nil means to start clocking from the last clock-out time, if any."

> If, in the future though, you implemented
> S-up and S-down functionality so that it adjusted current and
> previous clocks simultaneously (or at least the ability to turn this
> on as an option), I would be your biggest fan :)

I implemented this.

S-M-<up/down> on a clock timestamp will try to update the previous/next
clock timestamp too.  Please test this heavily.

 Bastien

* Re: Feature that org mode needs most
@ 2012-08-01 12:59   ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2012-08-01 12:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> You can use the S-up and S-down key combinations to adjust the clocks
> for the current activity and the previous one.

Is that "previous" as in the "previous item in the org tree" or as the
"previously clocked item"?

I'm guessing it's the first, because I've used S-up and S-down, but I
haven't seen them adjust the previously clocked item (my clocked items
are often far apart).

* Re: Feature that org mode needs most
@ 2012-08-01 13:21     ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2012-08-01 13:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Steinar Bang <sb@dod.no> writes:

>> You can use the S-up and S-down key combinations to adjust the clocks
>> for the current activity and the previous one.

The keybindings are S-M-<up/down>.

> Is that "previous" as in the "previous item in the org tree" or as the
> "previously clocked item"?

As "previously clocked item".

> I'm guessing it's the first, because I've used S-up and S-down, but I
> haven't seen them adjust the previously clocked item (my clocked items
> are often far apart).

Did you see a message saying that a clock had been adjusted?

You should see a message in any case, either saying a clock has been
adjusted or saying no related clock could be found.

--
 Bastien

* Re: Feature that org mode needs most
@ 2012-08-01 14:05       ` Sebastien Vauban
From: Sebastien Vauban @ 2012-08-01 14:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Hi Bastien,

Bastien wrote:
>>> You can use the S-up and S-down key combinations to adjust the clocks
>>> for the current activity and the previous one.
>>
>> Is that "previous" as in the "previous item in the org tree" or as the
>> "previously clocked item"?
>
> As "previously clocked item".
>
>> I'm guessing it's the first, because I've used S-up and S-down, but I
>> haven't seen them adjust the previously clocked item (my clocked items
>> are often far apart).
>
> Did you see a message saying that a clock had been adjusted?
>
> You should see a message in any case, either saying a clock has been
> adjusted or saying no related clock could be found.

I'm back from a black hole for some time, and still have 100's of Org posts to
read, so my question can be already answered somewhere...

In the following case:

** Some task (A)
   :LOGBOOK:
   CLOCK: [2012-08-01 Wed 13:34]--[2012-08-01 Wed 15:00] =>  1:26
   :END:

** Another one (B)
   :LOGBOOK:
   CLOCK: [2010-08-01 Thu 15:00]--[2010-08-01 Thu 16:45] =>  1:45
   :END:

Do you mean that changing the *beginning timestamp* of task B would change the
*ending timestamp* of task A?

In the other way as well: changing A's end impacting B's beginning time?

Is it based on the clock history file (limited in number of entries), or
generally speaking based on the fact that those 2 timestamps were simply
identical?

Best regards,
Seb

--
Sebastien Vauban

* Re: Feature that org mode needs most
@ 2012-08-01 14:08         ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2012-08-01 14:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastien Vauban; +Cc: public-emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Hi Sébastien,

"Sebastien Vauban"
<wxhgmqzgwmuf-geNee64TY+gS+FvcfC7Uqw@public.gmane.org> writes:

> I'm back from a black hole for some time, and still have 100's of Org posts to
> read, so my question can be already answered somewhere...

Welcome back!

> In the following case:
>
> ** Some task (A)
>    :LOGBOOK:
>    CLOCK: [2012-08-01 Wed 13:34]--[2012-08-01 Wed 15:00] =>  1:26
>    :END:
>
> ** Another one (B)
>    :LOGBOOK:
>    CLOCK: [2010-08-01 Thu 15:00]--[2010-08-01 Thu 16:45] =>  1:45
>    :END:
>
> Do you mean that changing the *beginning timestamp* of task B would change the
> *ending timestamp* of task A?

Yes.

> In the other way as well: changing A's end impacting B's beginning
> time?

Yes.

> Is it based on the clock history file (limited in number of entries), or
> generally speaking based on the fact that those 2 timestamps were simply
> identical?

It is based on `org-clock-history'.

HTH,

--
 Bastien

* Re: Feature that org mode needs most
@ 2012-08-01 16:39       ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2012-08-01 16:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> The keybindings are S-M-<up/down>.

...and requires a fresh pull from git.  I will pull and try.

[snip!]
>> I'm guessing it's the first, because I've used S-up and S-down, but I
>> haven't seen them adjust the previously clocked item (my clocked
>> items are often far apart).

> Did you see a message saying that a clock had been adjusted?

No, but since I've only used S-up and S-down on pre-summer git pulls
(eg. the org-mode on this particular machine was last pulled om May 8),
that's probably as expected. :-)

I will pull and try the new functionality.

* Re: Feature that org mode needs most
@ 2012-08-02 15:13         ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2012-08-02 15:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Steinar Bang <sb@dod.no> writes:

> I will pull and try the new functionality.

Yes -- please let me know.  The drawback of this functionality is that
it changes things outside of sight, which I don't really like.  You get
a message, and the subtree of the (possibly distant) clock get unfolded,
but perhaps the change can be made more visible -- or "into control".

Let me know,

--
 Bastien

* Re: Feature that org mode needs most
@ 2012-08-15 12:38           ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2012-08-15 12:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> Steinar Bang <sb@dod.no> writes:
>> I will pull and try the new functionality.

> Yes -- please let me know.  The drawback of this functionality is that
> it changes things outside of sight, which I don't really like.  You get
> a message, and the subtree of the (possibly distant) clock get unfolded,
> but perhaps the change can be made more visible -- or "into control".

My git version of org has commit d02eedc987ab73ae5de5dacf3825536c3252c6e5
as its newest commit.

What happens here is that when I do S-M-down on minutes in the start
time of the current clock, it adjust both the current clock and the
previous clock with 5 minutes, but the cursor ends up in the end time of
the previous clock and have to be moved back to do further adjustments.

is this known, and has been fixed later than the above commit?  If so, I
can pull, and try again.

* Re: Feature that org mode needs most
@ 2012-08-15 19:09             ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2012-08-15 19:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Steinar,

Steinar Bang <sb@dod.no> writes:

> is this known, and has been fixed later than the above commit?  If so, I
> can pull, and try again.

It should be fixed now, please confirm.

 Bastien

* Re: Feature that org mode needs most
@ 2012-08-16 13:01               ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2012-08-16 13:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

>> is this known, and has been fixed later than the above commit?  If so, I
>> can pull, and try again.

> It should be fixed now, please confirm.

I can confirm it works.  Ie. that it adjusts the end time of the
previously clocked item correctly.

My current latest commit after the pull, is
 952d722dcddb275d84ad6dd356bee2fd5c8027c8

(The previously clocked item and it's :CLOCK: drawer was opened.  I don't
know if that was intentional, or not...?)

Thanks!

* Re: Feature that org mode needs most
@ 2012-08-19  7:30                 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2012-08-19  7:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Steinar,

Steinar Bang <sb@dod.no> writes:

> (The previously clocked item and it's :CLOCK: drawer was opened.  I don't
> know if that was intentional, or not...?)

This is intentional -- to make sure you see the change.

But perhaps the message is enough.  Let me know if you think so.

--
 Bastien

* Re: Feature that org mode needs most
@ 2012-08-21  7:33                   ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2012-08-21  7:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> Steinar Bang <sb@dod.no> writes:

>> (The previously clocked item and it's :CLOCK: drawer was opened.  I don't
>> know if that was intentional, or not...?)

> This is intentional -- to make sure you see the change.

> But perhaps the message is enough.  Let me know if you think so.

No, I'm good with the current behaviour.

Thanks!

* Re: Feature that org mode needs most
@ 2012-08-21 18:10                     ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2012-08-21 18:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

>> Steinar Bang <sb@dod.no> writes:
>
>>> (The previously clocked item and it's :CLOCK: drawer was opened.  I don't
>>> know if that was intentional, or not...?)
>
>> This is intentional -- to make sure you see the change.
>
>> But perhaps the message is enough.  Let me know if you think so.
>
> No, I'm good with the current behaviour.

Okay -- thanks for letting me know,

--
 Bastien