From: Joseph Thomas <six50joe@gmail.com>
To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Feature that org mode needs most
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2012 17:15:30 -0400	[thread overview]

Hello.
I couldn't believe I hadn't been aware of org mode until a few months ago,
as someone who's been using emacs for everything for many years.

I use it to journal how all my time is spent in a given work day- for both
work related tasks and non-work tasks (ex.  getting coffee, lunch,
conversations, etc.).  Org mode is the only GTD software package I've seen
that makes this possible without getting in the way.  It just needs one
small thing that keeps it from being perfect.

Those who use it the same way I do (as a log of how all time was spent in a
given day), there's no easy way I can see to make quick adjustments to
clocked time between activities.  Every day I will forget to clock to a new
activity at some point.  By the time I remember, time has passed.  For
example, I come back from a meeting and begin to work on a project.  20
minutes into it, I clock in.  But I must then manually adjust both the
previous activity and the current one so that they are accurate and don't
overlap in the agenda view.  This can be cumbersome, which seems to go
against the overall idea of org mode.  All that is needed to correct it is
either a new fn and key binding, or a prefix arg to org-clock-in that
allows you to enter an adjustment (in this example, 20) to subtract from
the previous clock's out time and current clock's in time.

Seems like it would be a minor thing to add that would make an enormous
difference for users like me.

Thanks for reading my request!

Regards,
Joe