From: Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com>
To: "Sébastien Vauban" <wxhgmqzgwmuf@spammotel.com>
Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Re: hitting tab on last number item in list hides next paragraph
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2010 08:13:34 +0100	[thread overview]

On Jan 13, 2010, at 4:33 PM, Sébastien Vauban wrote:

> Hi Carsten,
>
> Carsten Dominik wrote:

>>> I'll do that as well, as I'm always caught when trying to indent
>>> correctly
>>> a list item...
>>>
>>> But, indeed, this is a very tiny detail.
>>
>> Well, we could consider changing the defualt value for that
>> variable......
>
> I guess it could make sense, yes.
>
> BTW, having updated that var for me (right now, in my `.emacs'
> file), it's OK
> for properly indenting the first list item, but the others don't
> move when
> TABbing. Any reason?

Yes.  You might be sitting in a deeply indented list structure, and
changing the indentation of an item that has less indentation
than the item above it would change the structure.

Mind that this is inherently tricky, and it has to be heuristic.
I think there is no really good solution to this in the sense
that it would allow you to re-indent an entire buffer using
TAB just like with a programming language.  Indentation has
syntactic meaning in Org.

I myself am using promotion/demotion commands to change
the indentation of list items, and I have trained myself
to make list items as much as possible with M-RET.

Best wishes

- Carsten