* run emacs.exe -> point to specific .emacs
@ 2009-09-06 10:41 Erwin Panen
From: Erwin Panen @ 2009-09-06 10:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Group,

First off all thanks a lot for org-mode! I am trying to use it now for a
couple of weeks, and it (Emacs AND org-mode) is really compelling:-)
I've tried a lot from Outlook over Shadow-Plan and EccoPro. I'm using a
mix of Linux and M$ XP, mainly XP at the time :-(

*Goal*:
- set up emacs  as a portable app on a portable 2.5" drive (or USB stick
for that matter) to run on windows
- sync the org-mode files with a location on a server (GIT , is a
directory sufficient, or does GIT need any installation on a linux box?)
- sync the same org-mode files n a linux laptop
- lastly, use the same USB drive org-mode files on a linux laptop.

*Actions*:
- tried to combine emacs with portable apps, but was unable to properly
get this running (the .emacs location on the USB stick did not work out)
- alternatively tried to combine emacs with pstart
(http://www.pegtop.net/start/)
    -> this works best now, tried this on a couple different machines,
inspite of the drive picking up different drive letters (G, K, etc)
         Pstart enables me to set the proper variable to point to my
\\usbstick\home\emacs-23.1\.emacs file.

*Questions*:
- Is there any command line parameter to point emacs to a specific
/dir/subdir/.emacs_2 file?
    This would allow me to experiment with various subsets of .emacs
settings?
- I realize emacs can be run in 'server - client' mode; is it possible
to run emacs as a server on a windows box and remotely connect to this
server from another windows box?
- GIT; could anybody point out a good git tutorial to get this up and
running on a mixed windows / linux platform?

There's plenty of other questionmarks, but I don't want to overdo it and
take it from here..

Thanks a lot for your help!

Erwin

[-- Attachment #1.2.1: Type: text/html, Size: 2192 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #1.2.2: moz-screenshot.jpg --]
[-- Type: image/jpeg, Size: 29903 bytes --]

* RE: run emacs.exe -> point to specific .emacs
@ 2009-09-07 22:40 ` Chris Randle
From: Chris Randle @ 2009-09-07 22:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Erwin

Erwin Panen wrote:
> - Is there any command line parameter to point emacs to a specific
>     /dir/subdir/.emacs_2 file? This would allow me to experiment with
> various subsets of .emacs settings?

Don't know if this helps at all, but I do the same thing myself. I have
a copy of Emacs on a USB stick, and my Org-mode files on a TrueCrypt
volume on the same stick. I synchronize the org files with my desktop
using Subversion and Tortoise SVN. Works a treat.

On the USB stick, I have a batch file called notepad.bat containing the
following. The equals signs just delineate the start and end of the
file, they're not part of the file:

==================
@echo off
set OLD-HOME=%HOME%
set HOME=%cd%

set /p DRIVE_LETTER=Enter drive letter of SD card:
%DRIVE_LETTER%:\_Usb\Emacs\bin\runemacs.exe notepad.org

set HOME=%OLD-HOME%
set OLD-HOME=
set DRIVE_LETTER=
====================

Also on the stick, I have a shortcut to the batch file with

Target: N:\emacs-data\Notepad.bat
Start in: N:\emacs-data

Windows seems to be smart (unusual, I know) in that it has no problem
with the hard coded drive letter in the shortcut. If drive changes
letter on mounting, it copes. But you must create the shortcut with the
correct drive letter at that moment.

The Start in value designates the current directory which the batch file
picks up in the %cd% environment variable and sets HOME to it, so that
Emacs knows where to get the .emacs file. Perhaps you could make
different shortcuts with different Start in values pointing to folders
containing different .emacs files.

The complication with %DRIVE_LETTER% is because the USB stick and Emacs
itself get mounted with one drive letter and then my org files and
.emacs are mounted on the encrypted volume with another drive letter,
and the batch file encrypted volume has no way of knowing the drive
letter of the USB stick to start Emacs. If you're keeping everything on
the one drive letter, you won't need that bit.

--
Chris Randle
Windows XP Pro SP3 - GNU Emacs 22.1.1 - Org-mode 6.29c