On Feb 11, 2010, at 7:38 PM, Chao Lu wrote: > Dear all, > > I'm writing to see if there's anyway to use org-like outline in ALL > kinds of files, like my emacs configuration file, whose suffix > is .el. Could I tell Emacs > > ;;; headline 1 > ;; headline 2 > > And it begin to have the ability to display my el file just as Org > does? > > Besides, is there any active mailing list of common Emacs questions? > > Any suggestion is welcomed, thanks! > > Chao Aloha Chao, Org-babel lets you keep source code for many languages in Org-mode files. You have to tangle the Org-mode file to create the source code file, so there are some intermediate steps, but it does bring many of the advantages of Org-mode to editing and maintaining source code in other languages. The Org-babel Introduction includes an example of how to manage an emacs configuration in Org-mode: http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/babel/intro.php#literate-programming Eric Schulte has an emacs starter kit with a very useful implementation of this idea: http://eschulte.github.com/emacs-starter-kit/ hth, Tom