* Google-weather.el and the Latest Git Version of Org-mode
@ 2012-08-31  1:30 Charles Philip Chan
From: Charles Philip Chan @ 2012-08-31  1:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org-mode; +Cc: Julien Danjou

Hello all:

After updating to the latest git version of Org-mode, google weather
entries are not showing up in the Agenda buffer any more. Does any one
else have the same problem?

Thanks.

Charles

--
"MSDOS didn't get as bad as it is overnight -- it took over ten years
of careful development."

* Re: Google-weather.el and the Latest Git Version of Org-mode
@ 2012-08-31  5:01 ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2012-08-31  5:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles Philip Chan; +Cc: Julien Danjou, Org-mode

Charles Philip Chan <cpchan@bell.net> wrote:

> Hello all:
>
> After updating to the latest git version of Org-mode, google weather
> entries are not showing up in the Agenda buffer any more. Does any one
> else have the same problem?

Yup - I got an error on startup and turned it off. When I turned it back
on and tried again (possibly after another org update), I got no error
but no results either. Haven't investigated further.

Nick

* Re: Google-weather.el and the Latest Git Version of Org-mode
@ 2012-08-31  5:21   ` Nick Dokos
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Nick Dokos @ 2012-08-31  5:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles Philip Chan, Julien Danjou, Org-mode

Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos@hp.com> wrote:

> Charles Philip Chan <cpchan@bell.net> wrote:
>
> > Hello all:
> >
> > After updating to the latest git version of Org-mode, google weather
> > entries are not showing up in the Agenda buffer any more. Does any one
> > else have the same problem?
> >

> Yup - I got an error on startup and turned it off. When I turned it back
> on and tried again (possibly after another org update), I got no error
> but no results either. Haven't investigated further.

When I go to

   http://www.google.com/ig/api?weather=Boston&hl=en-GB

Google slaps me and says:

,----
| Google
| Sorry...
| We're sorry...
|
| ... but your computer or network may be sending automated queries. To protect our users, we can't process your request right now.
| See Google Help for more information.

`----

BTW, if you visit

  http://www.google.com/ig

it also says

,----
| iGoogle will not be available after November 1, 2013. Learn more
`----

So google-weather's days are numbered (420 days or so) even if the
first problem gets resolved.

Nick

* Re: Google-weather.el and the Latest Git Version of Org-mode
@ 2012-08-31  5:24   ` Charles Philip Chan
From: Charles Philip Chan @ 2012-08-31  5:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org-mode

Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos@hp.com> writes:

Hi Nick:

> Yup - I got an error on startup and turned it off. When I turned it
> back on and tried again (possibly after another org update), I got no
> error but no results either. Haven't investigated further.

Thanks for the confirmation. I know that the weather info is download
and cached judging by the timestamps of the files. They are just not
showing in the Agenda buffer.

Cheers,
Charles

--
"Nature abhors a Vacuum"

  -- Brian Behlendorf on OSS (Open Sources, 1999 O'Reilly and Associates)

* Re: Google-weather.el and the Latest Git Version of Org-mode
@ 2012-08-31  5:50     ` Charles Philip Chan
From: Charles Philip Chan @ 2012-08-31  5:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org-mode

Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos@hp.com> writes:

Hi Nick:

> When I go to
>
>    http://www.google.com/ig/api?weather=Boston&hl=en-GB
>
> Google slaps me and says:
>
> ,----
> | Google
> | Sorry...
> | We're sorry...
> |
> | ... but your computer or network may be sending automated
> | queries. To protect our users, we can't process your request right
> | now.
> | See Google Help for more information.
> |
> `----

You are right, I just looked at the cached files and that is what I
see. :-(

Charles

--
"Besides, I think [Slackware] sounds better than 'Microsoft,' don't you?"
(By Patrick Volkerding)

* Re: Google-weather.el and the Latest Git Version of Org-mode
@ 2012-08-31  6:07     ` Charles Philip Chan
From: Charles Philip Chan @ 2012-08-31  6:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org-mode

Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos@hp.com> writes:

Hi Nick:

> BTW, if you visit
>
>   http://www.google.com/ig
>
> it also says
>
> ,----
> | iGoogle will not be available after November 1, 2013. Learn more
> `----
>
> So google-weather's days are numbered (420 days or so) even if the
> first problem gets resolved.

OK, thanks for the info. :-(

Cheers.
Charles

--
How do I type "for i in *.dvi do xdvi i done" in a GUI?
(Discussion in comp.os.linux.misc on the intuitiveness of interfaces.)

* Re: Google-weather.el and the Latest Git Version of Org-mode
@ 2012-08-31  7:01     ` Jude DaShiell
                         ` (2 more replies)
From: Jude DaShiell @ 2012-08-31  7:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Dokos; +Cc: Charles Philip Chan, Julien Danjou, Org-mode

It might be near time to investigate wunderground.com and loose google for
weather before igoogle disappears.  Other weather sites capable of text
output may also be available, I haven't investigated that yet.

jude <jdashiel@shellworld.net>
Adobe fiend for failing to Flash

* Re: Google-weather.el and the Latest Git Version of Org-mode
@ 2012-08-31  7:05       ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2012-08-31  7:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jude DaShiell; +Cc: Charles Philip Chan, Julien Danjou, Org-mode

Jude DaShiell <jdashiel@shellworld.net> wrote:

> It might be near time to investigate wunderground.com and loose google for
> weather before igoogle disappears.  Other weather sites capable of text
> output may also be available, I haven't investigated that yet.

Yup, I believe google gets its weather data from wunderground.com. But
I don't know if they make their data available for free. Presumably google
pays them some money for the use.

Nick

* Re: Google-weather.el and the Latest Git Version of Org-mode
@ 2012-08-31  7:12       ` Charles Philip Chan
From: Charles Philip Chan @ 2012-08-31  7:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org-mode

Jude DaShiell <jdashiel@shellworld.net> writes:

Hi Jude:

> It might be near time to investigate wunderground.com and loose google
> for weather before igoogle disappears.  Other weather sites capable of
> text output may also be available, I haven't investigated that yet.

I agree.

Charles

--
Dijkstra probably hates me
(Linus Torvalds, in kernel/sched.c)

* Re: Google-weather.el and the Latest Git Version of Org-mode
@ 2012-08-31 13:19       ` Carson Chittom
From: Carson Chittom @ 2012-08-31 13:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Jude DaShiell <jdashiel@shellworld.net> writes:

> It might be near time to investigate wunderground.com and loose google for
> weather before igoogle disappears.  Other weather sites capable of text
> output may also be available, I haven't investigated that yet.

For those in the US, the National Weather Service has forecasts
available in XML, which could be parsed, requestable via latitude and
longitude.  I haven't done anything with that other than noting its
existence.  URL seems to be
http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=xx.xxxx&lon=yy.yyyy&FcastType=dwml

* Re: Google-weather.el and the Latest Git Version of Org-mode
@ 2012-08-31 21:19         ` Jude DaShiell
From: Jude DaShiell @ 2012-08-31 21:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Dokos; +Cc: Charles Philip Chan, Julien Danjou, Org-mode

I think for individuals wunderground.com is free, but for organizations

@ 2012-09-03 14:31         ` Robert Horn
From: Robert Horn @ 2012-09-03 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles Philip Chan, Org-mode

Charles Philip Chan <cpchan@bell.net> writes:

> Jude DaShiell <jdashiel@shellworld.net> writes:
>
> Hi Jude:
>
>> It might be near time to investigate wunderground.com and loose google
>> for weather before igoogle disappears.  Other weather sites capable of
>> text output may also be available, I haven't investigated that yet.

wunderground.com wants a developer ID and in some situations wants a
paid account.

For US locations, take a look at the NOAA/NWS services.
http://graphical.weather.gov/xml/rest.php is a similar service, freely
available to the public.  Parseing the NDFD response will take a while
to understand, but it's a simple schema and will be a tiny computational
burden.  That page has links to all the relevant documents.

I don't have time to go through all that, but a quick look indicates
that it has all the information that Google was providing.  There will
just be more work involved in organizing it into a tidy little line of
text.

R Horn
rjhorn@alum.mit.edu

* Re: Google-weather.el and the Latest Git Version of Org-mode
@ 2012-09-03 14:47         ` Robert Horn
From: Robert Horn @ 2012-09-03 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles Philip Chan, Org-mode

Charles Philip Chan <cpchan@bell.net> writes:

> Jude DaShiell <jdashiel@shellworld.net> writes:
>
> Hi Jude:
>
>> It might be near time to investigate wunderground.com and loose google
>> for weather before igoogle disappears.  Other weather sites capable of
>> text output may also be available, I haven't investigated that yet.

Followup:

For world-wide sites, there is http://api.yr.no/weatherapi/documentation

This does not specify limits to geographic coverage and detail, but the
models listed as source include the ECMWF EC.GEO.0.25 which is global.
Forecasts for Norway and surrounding areas use a more accurate local
model.

R Horn
rjhorn@alum.mit.edu

* Re: Google-weather.el and the Latest Git Version of Org-mode
@ 2012-09-04  7:54         ` Ian Barton
From: Ian Barton @ 2012-09-04  7:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 31/08/12 14:19, Carson Chittom wrote:
> Jude DaShiell <jdashiel@shellworld.net> writes:
>
>> It might be near time to investigate wunderground.com and loose google for
>> weather before igoogle disappears.  Other weather sites capable of text
>> output may also be available, I haven't investigated that yet.
>
> For those in the US, the National Weather Service has forecasts
> available in XML, which could be parsed, requestable via latitude and
> longitude.  I haven't done anything with that other than noting its
> existence.  URL seems to be
> http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=xx.xxxx&lon=yy.yyyy&FcastType=dwml

There is also Yahoo, which uses The Weather Channel. Their official
interface is documented at http://developer.yahoo.com/weather/ This
returns a three day forecast. However, there is an undocumented
interface that returns a five day forecast. See
http://xml.weather.yahoo.com/forecastrss/UKXX0718_c.xml for an example
forecast.

I have a python script that uses the undocumented interface, which I'll
put on Github when I have tidied it up a bit. It doesn't look too hard
to adapt the current googleweather.el script to use Yahoo.

Ian.

* Re: Google-weather.el and the Latest Git Version of Org-mode
@ 2012-09-05  7:37           ` Ian Barton
From: Ian Barton @ 2012-09-05  7:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 04/09/12 08:54, Ian Barton wrote:
> On 31/08/12 14:19, Carson Chittom wrote:
>> Jude DaShiell <jdashiel@shellworld.net> writes:
>>
>>> It might be near time to investigate wunderground.com and loose
>>> google for
>>> weather before igoogle disappears.  Other weather sites capable of text
>>> output may also be available, I haven't investigated that yet.
>>
>> For those in the US, the National Weather Service has forecasts
>> available in XML, which could be parsed, requestable via latitude and
>> longitude.  I haven't done anything with that other than noting its
>> existence.  URL seems to be
>> http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=xx.xxxx&lon=yy.yyyy&FcastType=dwml
>>

> There is also Yahoo, which uses The Weather Channel. Their official
> interface is documented at http://developer.yahoo.com/weather/ This
> returns a three day forecast. However, there is an undocumented
> interface that returns a five day forecast. See
> http://xml.weather.yahoo.com/forecastrss/UKXX0718_c.xml for an example
> forecast.
>
> I have a python script that uses the undocumented interface, which I'll
> put on Github when I have tidied it up a bit. It doesn't look too hard
> to adapt the current googleweather.el script to use Yahoo.

I have pushed my python script to
https://github.com/geekinthesticks/python-yahoo-weather

This shows how to retrieve the five day forecast from Yahoo, with an
example XML page of the results returned by Yahoo. As an added benefit
Yahoo also returns the lat, long, sunrise and sunset data. For people in
the UK, there is a complete list of all location codes for towns and cities.

I have also included a copy of Julien Danjou's original library for
Google in the repo. As a first step I renamed all occurrences of Google
to Yahoo. Other than that it doesn't do anything useful yet.

Since my elisp skills are very limited, if anyone else wants to hack on
this too, I would be more than happy to merge your changes.

Ian.