* org-e-groff-export-to-groff produces empty output file
@ 2012-09-20 19:38 Eric Schulte
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Eric Schulte @ 2012-09-20 19:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Maybe I'm missing something obvious here, but I can't get org-e-groff to
generate anything but an empty output file.  I've boiled this down to
the following minimal example.  First save the attached example.org file
to /tmp/example.org.  Then run the following in your shell,

    # -*- shell-script -*-
    emacs --batch --eval '(let ((org-path "~/.emacs.d/src/org-mode/"))
    (add-to-list (quote load-path) (expand-file-name "lisp" org-path))
    (add-to-list (quote load-path) (expand-file-name "contrib/lisp" org-path))
    (require (quote org))
    (require (quote org-e-groff)))' /tmp/example.org -f org-e-groff-export-to-groff

The above generates an empty file in /tmp/example.groff.

What am I missing?

[-- Attachment #2: example.org --]
[-- Type: text/x-org, Size: 587 bytes --]

#+Title: Example Org-mode file
#+Author: Eric Schulte

This Org-mode file is intended as illustration.

* Here is one headline
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Donec
hendrerit tempor tellus. Donec pretium posuere tellus. Proin quam
nisl, tincidunt et, mattis eget, convallis nec, purus. Cum sociis
natoque penatibus et magnis dis parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus
mus. Nulla posuere. Donec vitae dolor. Nullam tristique diam non
turpis. Cras placerat accumsan nulla. Nullam rutrum. Nam vestibulum
accumsan nisl.

* Here is another headline
- foo
- bar
- baz

Eric Schulte
http://cs.unm.edu/~eschulte

* Re: org-e-groff-export-to-groff produces empty output file
@ 2012-09-21 14:34 ` Ian Barton
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Ian Barton @ 2012-09-21 14:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 20/09/12 20:38, Eric Schulte wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Maybe I'm missing something obvious here, but I can't get org-e-groff to
> generate anything but an empty output file.  I've boiled this down to
> the following minimal example.  First save the attached example.org file
> to /tmp/example.org.  Then run the following in your shell,
>
>      # -*- shell-script -*-
>      emacs --batch --eval '(let ((org-path "~/.emacs.d/src/org-mode/"))
>      (add-to-list (quote load-path) (expand-file-name "lisp" org-path))
>      (add-to-list (quote load-path) (expand-file-name "contrib/lisp" org-path))
>      (require (quote org))
>      (require (quote org-e-groff)))' /tmp/example.org -f org-e-groff-export-to-groff
>
> The above generates an empty file in /tmp/example.groff.
>
> What am I missing?

I don't think you are missing anything. I tried the grof exporter out a
couple of weeks ago and it worked fine for me. I just tried it on the
file I used before and I also get blank output. I have also tried your
minimal example and get no output.

I am on org-mode fa15516a16df6c9ca060c56e85

Ian.

* Re: org-e-groff-export-to-groff produces empty output file
@ 2012-09-21 14:44   ` Robert Klein
From: Robert Klein @ 2012-09-21 14:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 09/21/2012 04:34 PM, Ian Barton wrote:
> On 20/09/12 20:38, Eric Schulte wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Maybe I'm missing something obvious here, but I can't get org-e-groff to
>> generate anything but an empty output file.  I've boiled this down to
>> the following minimal example.  First save the attached example.org file
>> to /tmp/example.org.  Then run the following in your shell,
>>
>>      # -*- shell-script -*-
>>      emacs --batch --eval '(let ((org-path "~/.emacs.d/src/org-mode/"))
>>      (add-to-list (quote load-path) (expand-file-name "lisp" org-path))
>>      (add-to-list (quote load-path) (expand-file-name "contrib/lisp"
>> org-path))
>>      (require (quote org))
>>      (require (quote org-e-groff)))' /tmp/example.org -f
>> org-e-groff-export-to-groff
>>
>> The above generates an empty file in /tmp/example.groff.
>>
>> What am I missing?
>
> I don't think you are missing anything. I tried the grof exporter out a
> couple of weeks ago and it worked fine for me. I just tried it on the
> file I used before and I also get blank output. I have also tried your
> minimal example and get no output.
>
> I am on org-mode fa15516a16df6c9ca060c56e85
>
> Ian.

I got the same results w/ the HTML exporter, version 7.9.1-RELEASE and a
maint snapshot from yesterday or the day before.

Best regards
Robert

* Re: org-e-groff-export-to-groff produces empty output file
@ 2012-09-21 15:54 ` cberry
From: cberry @ 2012-09-21 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Eric Schulte <eric.schulte@gmx.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Maybe I'm missing something obvious here, but I can't get org-e-groff to
> generate anything but an empty output file.  I've boiled this down to
> the following minimal example.  First save the attached example.org file
> to /tmp/example.org.  Then run the following in your shell,
>
>     # -*- shell-script -*-
>     emacs --batch --eval '(let ((org-path "~/.emacs.d/src/org-mode/"))
>     (add-to-list (quote load-path) (expand-file-name "lisp" org-path))
>     (add-to-list (quote load-path) (expand-file-name "contrib/lisp" org-path))
>     (require (quote org))
>     (require (quote org-e-groff)))' /tmp/example.org -f org-e-groff-export-to-groff
>
> The above generates an empty file in /tmp/example.groff.
>
> What am I missing?

Perhaps the backend is not being correctly passed on to org-export-as.

I am not at a machine where I can check this right now, but

  (org-export-as 'e-bogus)

used to merrily run to completion producing an empty output if the
objects for the named backend were not bound.

HTH,

Chuck

* Re: org-e-groff-export-to-groff produces empty output file
@ 2012-09-21 16:11 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2012-09-21 16:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Eric,

Eric Schulte <eric.schulte@gmx.com> writes:

>     # -*- shell-script -*-
>     emacs --batch --eval '(let ((org-path "~/.emacs.d/src/org-mode/"))
>     (add-to-list (quote load-path) (expand-file-name "lisp" org-path))
>     (add-to-list (quote load-path) (expand-file-name "contrib/lisp" org-path))
>     (require (quote org))
>     (require (quote org-e-groff)))' /tmp/example.org -f org-e-groff-export-to-groff
>
> The above generates an empty file in /tmp/example.groff.

Things get even weirder as I *do* have the correct exported file here
(I'm trying from maint).

What if you M-x org-e-groff-export-to-groff RET directly from the file?

--
 Bastien

* Re: org-e-groff-export-to-groff produces empty output file
@ 2012-09-21 17:21   ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2012-09-21 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bastien <bzg@altern.org> writes:

> Hi Eric,
>
> Eric Schulte <eric.schulte@gmx.com> writes:
>
>>     # -*- shell-script -*-
>>     emacs --batch --eval '(let ((org-path "~/.emacs.d/src/org-mode/"))
>>     (add-to-list (quote load-path) (expand-file-name "lisp" org-path))
>>     (add-to-list (quote load-path) (expand-file-name "contrib/lisp" org-path))
>>     (require (quote org))
>>     (require (quote org-e-groff)))' /tmp/example.org -f org-e-groff-export-to-groff
>>
>> The above generates an empty file in /tmp/example.groff.
>
> Things get even weirder as I *do* have the correct exported file here
> (I'm trying from maint).
>
> What if you M-x org-e-groff-export-to-groff RET directly from the file?

I still get a blank result (that was how I tried initially).  I'm
currently on the latest git head of the master branch [1] and I am using
a recent Verizon of Emacs [2].

I just tried switching to maint, reloading org-mode and re-exporting and
I again get an empty output file.  I can confirm that other new
exporters such as org-e-html are working as expected.

Hope this helps,

Footnotes:
[1]  Org-mode version 7.9.1 (release_7.9.1-283-g34db1c @ /home/eschulte/.emacs.d/src/org-mode/lisp/)

[2]  GNU Emacs 24.2.50.1

--
Eric Schulte
http://cs.unm.edu/~eschulte

* Re: org-e-groff-export-to-groff produces empty output file
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2012-09-21 21:55 ` Luis Anaya
From: Luis Anaya @ 2012-09-21 21:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Eric Schulte <eric.schulte@gmx.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Maybe I'm missing something obvious here, but I can't get org-e-groff to
> generate anything but an empty output file.  I've boiled this down to

This is not good. What I'll do is to pull the latest from git and run
regression test. I know that changes have been made and I pushed those
in my github account. But I've not run with the latest for a while (I
still need to use org-mode for real work. :) ) Let me play with it and
see.

Luis

--
Luis Anaya
papo anaya aroba hot mail punto com

* Re: org-e-groff-export-to-groff produces empty output file
@ 2012-09-21 22:50   ` Luis Anaya
From: Luis Anaya @ 2012-09-21 22:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Luis Anaya <papoanaya@hotmail.com> writes:

> Eric Schulte <eric.schulte@gmx.com> writes:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Maybe I'm missing something obvious here, but I can't get org-e-groff to
>> generate anything but an empty output file.  I've boiled this down to

Hi:

No, you're not missing something, there's is a problem. I just ran
regression and all the groff files are empty. My gut feeling is the
change from the defvar to the invocation of
`org-export-define-backend' is not mapping the different calls to
its respective function. First thing I noticed is that the second
parameter, is a symbol while the function expects it to be a string
(it's passing it into a format), that may be one of the problems. I
changed it to a string with the same results. (i. e. empty files).

I ran it with an older version of org-e-groff.el that does not use
this function and it runs fine with the lastest from git.

Hmmm...

--

@ 2012-09-22  4:59     ` Robert Klein
From: Robert Klein @ 2012-09-22  4:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 09/21/2012 04:44 PM, Robert Klein wrote:
> On 09/21/2012 04:34 PM, Ian Barton wrote:
>> On 20/09/12 20:38, Eric Schulte wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Maybe I'm missing something obvious here, but I can't get org-e-groff to
>>> generate anything but an empty output file.  I've boiled this down to
>>> the following minimal example.  First save the attached example.org file
>>> to /tmp/example.org.  Then run the following in your shell,
>>>
>>>      # -*- shell-script -*-
>>>      emacs --batch --eval '(let ((org-path "~/.emacs.d/src/org-mode/"))
>>>      (add-to-list (quote load-path) (expand-file-name "lisp" org-path))
>>>      (add-to-list (quote load-path) (expand-file-name "contrib/lisp"
>>> org-path))
>>>      (require (quote org))
>>>      (require (quote org-e-groff)))' /tmp/example.org -f
>>> org-e-groff-export-to-groff
>>>
>>> The above generates an empty file in /tmp/example.groff.
>>>
>>> What am I missing?
>>
>> I don't think you are missing anything. I tried the grof exporter out a
>> couple of weeks ago and it worked fine for me. I just tried it on the
>> file I used before and I also get blank output. I have also tried your
>> minimal example and get no output.
>>
>> I am on org-mode fa15516a16df6c9ca060c56e85
>>
>> Ian.
>>

> I got the same results w/ the HTML exporter, version 7.9.1-RELEASE and a
> maint snapshot from yesterday or the day before.
>
> Best regards
> Robert

Umm, sorry, I get this when /publishing/ (org-e-publish).
org-e-html-export-to-html works.

Best regards
Robert

* Re: org-e-groff-export-to-groff produces empty output file
@ 2012-09-22  7:55     ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2012-09-22  7:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Luis Anaya <papoanaya@hotmail.com> writes:

> Luis Anaya <papoanaya@hotmail.com> writes:
>
>> Eric Schulte <eric.schulte@gmx.com> writes:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Maybe I'm missing something obvious here, but I can't get org-e-groff to
>>> generate anything but an empty output file.  I've boiled this down to
>
> Hi:
>
> No, you're not missing something, there's is a problem. I just ran
> regression and all the groff files are empty. My gut feeling is the
> change from the defvar to the invocation of
> `org-export-define-backend' is not mapping the different calls to
> its respective function. First thing I noticed is that the second
> parameter, is a symbol while the function expects it to be a string
> (it's passing it into a format), that may be one of the problems. I
> changed it to a string with the same results. (i. e. empty files).
>

> I ran it with an older version of org-e-groff.el that does not use
> this function and it runs fine with the lastest from git.
>
> Hmmm...

This is because I made a typo when defining the back-end: there
shouldn't be any quote before the first alist.

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: org-e-groff-export-to-groff produces empty output file
@ 2012-09-22  9:01 Luis Anaya
From: Luis Anaya @ 2012-09-22  9:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Re: org-e-groff-export-to-groff produces empty output file
@ 2012-09-22  9:03 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2012-09-22  9:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Luis Anaya <papoanaya@hotmail.com> writes:

> If it's taken care of and push to git, I can go ahead and run
> regression to make sure that everything is working ok.

Unfortunately, I don't seem to have push access to repository for now.
It will either have to be done by someone else or wait until I can fix
it.

For the record, it's just about removing the quote at the beginning of
the line 51 in org-e-groff.el.

You may also want to remove the two `defvar' above, which look useless.

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: org-e-groff-export-to-groff produces empty output file
@ 2012-09-22  9:28 Luis Anaya
From: Luis Anaya @ 2012-09-22  9:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Re: org-e-groff-export-to-groff produces empty output file
@ 2012-09-22  9:32 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2012-09-22  9:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Luis Anaya <papoanaya@hotmail.com> writes:

> I can remove and push it (if allowed). I know that there was a change
> in the server being that git complained about the SSL certificate.

I've regained push access. So it should be fixed now. I let you
double-check the commits.

As a side note, there was a typo in some element types (latex-fragment
and latex-environment) so they were ignored by the Groff back-end. I've
fixed their name, but, since I don't know what you want to do with them,
I've commented them out from back-end definition. Thus, they are still
ignored (see lines 68-69 in the file). I let you decide what to do with
them.

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: org-e-groff-export-to-groff produces empty output file
@ 2012-09-22  9:53 Luis Anaya
From: Luis Anaya @ 2012-09-22  9:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Re: org-e-groff-export-to-groff produces empty output file
@ 2012-09-22  9:58 Luis Anaya
From: Luis Anaya @ 2012-09-22  9:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Re: org-e-groff-export-to-groff produces empty output file
@ 2012-09-22 12:06 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2012-09-22 12:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Luis Anaya <papoanaya@hotmail.com> writes:

> I cannot think of a use for those while typesetting in Groff, other
> than send Groff commands with a LaTeX instruction (awkward...). If
> this is the case, those two routines should be removed from the
> exporter as well.

`e-html' back-end turns them into images (with, i.e. dvipng). Would that
be applicable to Groff as well?

* Re: org-e-groff-export-to-groff produces empty output file
@ 2012-09-22 20:10   ` Luis Anaya
From: Luis Anaya @ 2012-09-22 20:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Nicolas Goaziou <n.goaziou@gmail.com> writes:

> `e-html' back-end turns them into images (with, i.e. dvipng). Would that
> be applicable to Groff as well?

Hmm... that's an idea... It would be useful for equations. Even though
Groff has EQN, if you're used to LaTeX ones, you do not have to learn
another set.

The only difference that it has to be exported with dvips, but at the
end is just the same difference.

Let me look at the html code and see. :)

Luis

--

@ 2012-09-22 20:11 ` Luis Anaya
From: Luis Anaya @ 2012-09-22 20:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Luis Anaya <papoanaya@hotmail.com> writes:

> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

... great, this is what happens when I send email from my phone
:(. Sorry about that.

Luis

--

@ 2012-09-24  2:18   ` Luis Anaya
From: Luis Anaya @ 2012-09-24  2:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Nicolas Goaziou <n.goaziou@gmail.com> writes:

> `e-html' back-end turns them into images (with, i.e. dvipng). Would that
> be applicable to Groff as well?

Hi:

I did a test with the dvipng output and the issue is converting it to
EPS after they have been generated. The better solution is to add
support for dvips to get an EPS directly from DVI.

I'll play with org.el and see if I get it going.

Luis