* Org HTML->PDF publishing
@ 2012-09-18 17:58 Marcelo de Moraes Serpa
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa @ 2012-09-18 17:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode

Hey guys,

Is it feasible to publish something (say an ebook) to html and then convert
it to pdf?

I know *TeX is the most powerful framework for creating PDFs, but given
that I'm more familiar with CSS, I'm sure I could come up with a
better style for the document in much less time than if, say, using LaTeX,
as of now.

My thought is, publish to HTML via org using a custom CSS, and then convert
this HTML+CSS to PDF somehow - I'm still not sure how exactly - printing to
PDF from the browser might be an option, however, I'm afraid that the final
PDF quality will not be enough for the given publication.

Has anyone tried this workflow?

Cheers,

- Marcelo.

* Re: Org HTML->PDF publishing
@ 2012-09-18 18:09 ` Eduardo Ochs
From: Eduardo Ochs @ 2012-09-18 18:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa; +Cc: Org Mode

On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 2:58 PM, Marcelo de Moraes Serpa <
celoserpa@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey guys,
>
> Is it feasible to publish something (say an ebook) to html and then
> convert it to pdf?
>
> I know *TeX is the most powerful framework for creating PDFs, but given
> that I'm more familiar with CSS, I'm sure I could come up with a
> better style for the document in much less time than if, say, using LaTeX,
> as of now.
>
> My thought is, publish to HTML via org using a custom CSS, and then
> convert this HTML+CSS to PDF somehow - I'm still not sure how exactly -
> printing to PDF from the browser might be an option, however, I'm afraid
> that the final PDF quality will not be enough for the given publication.
>
> Has anyone tried this workflow?
>
> Cheers,
>
> - Marcelo.

This works very well, but it's non-free:

  http://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=501897
  http://tomayko.com/writings/princexml
  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcXUrNSvjhU

[[]], Eduardo Ochs
  eduardoochs@gmail.com
  http://angg.twu.net/

* Re: Org HTML->PDF publishing
@ 2012-09-18 18:12 ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2012-09-18 18:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa; +Cc: Org Mode

If you have the html, there seem to be some things around to convert to PDF:
- http://code.google.com/p/wkhtmltopdf/
- http://pypi.python.org/pypi/xhtml2pdf/
- http://www.winnovative-software.com/download.aspx
- http://www.html2pdf.fr/en

Good luck!
John

On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 12:58 PM, Marcelo de Moraes Serpa
<celoserpa@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
> Is it feasible to publish something (say an ebook) to html and then convert
> it to pdf?
>
> I know *TeX is the most powerful framework for creating PDFs, but given that
> I'm more familiar with CSS, I'm sure I could come up with a better style for
> the document in much less time than if, say, using LaTeX, as of now.
>
> My thought is, publish to HTML via org using a custom CSS, and then convert
> this HTML+CSS to PDF somehow - I'm still not sure how exactly - printing to
> PDF from the browser might be an option, however, I'm afraid that the final
> PDF quality will not be enough for the given publication.
>
> Has anyone tried this workflow?
>
> Cheers,
>
> - Marcelo.

* Re: Org HTML->PDF publishing
@ 2012-09-18 18:30 ` Luis Anaya
From: Luis Anaya @ 2012-09-18 18:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa; +Cc: Org Mode

Marcelo de Moraes Serpa <celoserpa@gmail.com> writes:

> Hey guys,
> Is it feasible to publish something (say an ebook) to html and then
> convert it to pdf?
[chomp]
> Has anyone tried this workflow?

More ideas:

- Calibre (calibre-ebook.com) can convert HTML to PDF, open source and
  free.

- OpenOffice/LibreOffice. Read files and export to PDF ?

- Within reason you can do that in a browser and print to PDF (native in
  Linux and Mac, Get a PDF print driver - PDFCreator, dump to Post Script and
  ps2pdf in cygwin... ad nauseum -) .

Calibre might be your best bet being that it handles bulks of HTML
pages, but YMMV.

Luis

--
Luis R. Anaya
papo anaya aroba hot mail punto com

* Re: Org HTML->PDF publishing
@ 2012-09-19 15:31   ` Srinivas
From: Srinivas @ 2012-09-19 15:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

You might want to take a look at http://www.princexml.com/

It allows you to specify css and then print to PDF using a command line tool.

* Re: Org HTML->PDF publishing
@ 2012-09-21  4:28     ` Marcelo de Moraes Serpa
From: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa @ 2012-09-21  4:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Srinivas; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Thank you for the suggestion guys.

It looks as if most of the free solutions don't produce a very good output.
Prince does look very good, but it's way too much expensive. I think using
org and exporting to both HTML and learning just enough LaTeX in order to
export a well formatted output with a nice typography is what I'm going to
do.

Geez, orgmode is a publishing powerhouse :)

Cheers,

- Marcelo.

On Wed, Sep 19, 2012 at 10:31 AM, Srinivas <sp_us@yahoo.com> wrote:

> You might want to take a look at http://www.princexml.com/
>
> It allows you to specify css and then print to PDF using a command line
> tool.

* Re: Org HTML->PDF publishing
@ 2012-09-23  2:28       ` Srinivas
From: Srinivas @ 2012-09-23  2:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

There is a free license for non-commerical use:

From princexml.com:
We offer a free license for non-commercial use of Prince.
This license adds a small logo to the first page of
generated PDF files.

Will this work for you?

* Re: Org HTML->PDF publishing
@ 2012-09-25  4:26         ` Marcelo de Moraes Serpa