* Quick poll - do you use the agenda more as a query interface or as your main view
@ 2012-09-07 22:33 Marcelo de Moraes Serpa
                   ` (4 more replies)
From: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa @ 2012-09-07 22:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode

I'm wondering: Do you use the agenda more as a query interface or as your
main view?

I tend to use the agenda for its powerful search capabilities, and either
use follow mode and or enter to get more hierarchical context of the task
(since I tend to follow GTD, and there's always a project/sub-projects with
actions (TODO), so an item by itself might not have all the necessary
information about it (what project does it belong to, for example). But I
never use it as my "main view".

In fact, it would be nice if we could have an agenda view that showed
items hierarchically (like follow mode, but in the agenda listing itself,
perhaps with the levels configurable). I might play around with it and see
if I can come up with something :)

Cheers,

- Marcelo.

* Re: Quick poll - do you use the agenda more as a query interface or as your main view
@ 2012-09-11 11:20 ` Bernt Hansen
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2012-09-11 11:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa; +Cc: Org Mode

Marcelo de Moraes Serpa <celoserpa@gmail.com> writes:

> I'm wondering: Do you use the agenda more as a query interface or as your main view?
>
> I tend to use the agenda for its powerful search capabilities, and
> either use follow mode and or enter to get more hierarchical context
> of the task (since I tend to follow GTD, and there's always a project/
> sub-projects with actions (TODO), so an item by itself might not have
> all the necessary information about it (what project does it belong
> to, for example). But I never use it as my "main view".
>
> In fact, it would be nice if we could have an agenda view that showed
> items hierarchically (like follow mode, but in the agenda listing
> itself, perhaps with the levels configurable). I might play around
> with it and see if I can come up with something :)

The hierarchy of items in the agenda is shown on the modeline when you
navigate over each item.  I use the agenda to navigate through my
headings and find what I'm working on - then work in the org file until
I need to work on something else ... which brings me back to the agenda
to find out what that is.

Regards,
Bernt

* Re: Quick poll - do you use the agenda more as a query interface or as your main view
@ 2012-09-11 17:06 ` Samuel Wales
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Samuel Wales @ 2012-09-11 17:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa; +Cc: Org Mode

On 9/7/12, Marcelo de Moraes Serpa <celoserpa@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm wondering: Do you use the agenda more as a query interface or as your
> main view?

Query.  Org agenda is my personal Google.

It is highly appealing as a main view, but for me it is both far too
slow and dangerous.

By dangerous, I mean that you can perform an operation on the wrong
headline without realizing it, because the markers can get out of
sync.

I sort both in the agenda and in the outline, using the same sort
metastrategy.   It is a familiar sorting order.  Indentation in the
agenda would not help me.

What would help, however, is the ability to dim ancestor tasks of any
task that also shows in the same agenda view.  The built-in blocking
dimming is different from this.

Also, alternatively, sometimes I would want to dim descendant tasks of
any task that also shows in the same agenda view.

Samuel

* Re: Quick poll - do you use the agenda more as a query interface or as your main view
@ 2012-09-11 17:17   ` Manuel Hermenegildo
From: Manuel Hermenegildo @ 2012-09-11 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Wales; +Cc: Org Mode, Marcelo de Moraes Serpa

Main view! --Manuel

Manuel Hermenegildo                       | Prof., C.S.Dept., T.U. Madrid (UPM)
Director, IMDEA SW Institute & CLIP Group | +34-91-336-7435 (W) -352-4819 (Fax)

* Re: Quick poll - do you use the agenda more as a query interface or as your main view
@ 2012-09-11 18:44 ` Charles Philip Chan
From: Charles Philip Chan @ 2012-09-11 18:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org-mode

Marcelo de Moraes Serpa <celoserpa@gmail.com> writes:

> I'm wondering: Do you use the agenda more as a query interface or as
> your main view?

Both.

Charles

--
"People get annoyed when you try to debug them."

  -- Larry Wall (Open Sources, 1999 O'Reilly and Associates)

* Re: Quick poll - do you use the agenda more as a query interface or as your main view
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2012-09-11 21:47 ` Moritz Ulrich
From: Moritz Ulrich @ 2012-09-11 21:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa; +Cc: Org Mode

Marcelo de Moraes Serpa writes:

> I'm wondering: Do you use the agenda more as a query interface or as your
> main view?

Both.

I usually keep a sticky agenda for my habits, tasks for today, etc.
Projects are managed mostly without the agenda. (Sometimes I add
deadlines etc.)

What I use often is search and some custom agenda for querying (billing
periods).

--
Moritz Ulrich

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 486 bytes --]

* Re: Quick poll - do you use the agenda more as a query interface or as your main view
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2012-09-12 13:59 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2012-09-12 13:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa; +Cc: Org Mode

Hi Marcelo,

Marcelo de Moraes Serpa <celoserpa@gmail.com> writes:

> In fact, it would be nice if we could have an agenda view that showed
> items hierarchically

This has been often requested and I made a step toward this.

`org-agenda-prefix-format' now understands a new specifier %l.

When used in a format string, it will insert X spaces for the
X level of the entry.

Imagine you have a file like:

* NEXT Level 1
  SCHEDULED: <2012-09-12 mer.>

** NEXT Level 2
   SCHEDULED: <2012-09-12 mer.>

and `org-agenda-prefix-format' is

(setq org-agenda-prefix-format
  '((agenda  . " %i %-12:c%?-12t% s %l")    <=  note the %l here
    (timeline  . "  % s")
    (todo  . " %i %-12:c")
    (tags  . " %i %-12:c")
    (search . " %i %-12:c"))

Then M-x org-agenda RET a will output this:

Week-agenda (W37):
Monday     10 September 2012 W37
Tuesday    11 September 2012
Wednesday  12 September 2012
  test:       Scheduled:   NEXT Level 1
  test:       Scheduled:    NEXT Level 2    <= added one space
Thursday   13 September 2012
Friday     14 September 2012
Saturday   15 September 2012
Sunday     16 September 2012

It would be nice to toggle this display on the fly -- this is on my
TODO list.

Best,

--
 Bastien