From: suarezmiguelc@icloud.com
To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Noweb Function's body without evaluation
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2023 23:54:49 +0100	[thread overview]

Hello Org-mode community. I’m using Emacs Doom Framework, specifically:

Emacs 28.2 (build 1, aarch64-apple-darwin22.3.0, Carbon Version 169 AppKit 2299.4) of 2023-02-23.

I use heavily org-mode for Literate DevOps, so I have a lot of shell commands that connect through SSH and do some things later, for example:

#+name: initSSH
#+begin_src shell :var connection=“admin@somehost"
ssh -t miguel@host "sudo -u someuser ssh -t $connection 'sudo su'"
#+end_src

So then I can call:

#+call: initSSH(connection=“admin@anotherhost”)

With any other header parameters or session, the above works correctly. I cannot use tramp due to network latency issues, so this is the most performance way for me, since I also have to do some multi-hops which are indeed supported in tramp, but it is too slow for me, so I rather only commands.

The thing is that, I then would like to call these not with a #+call function, but add them into a bigger script, let’s say that I define another command:

#+name: getStorage
#+begin_src shell
df
#+end_src

Which has to be run in a remote server, could be any remote server as I have to connect to several. So I would like to be able to:

#+begin_src shell
<<initSSH(connection=“admin@anotherhost”)>>
<<getStorage>>
#+end_src

The first doesn’t work as org-mode runs the code and passes the resulting string to bash, which isn’t a command. The latter works normally. So the issue here are the parameters.

So I made another simple example for this:

#+name: greeting
#+begin_src sh :var name="world" :results output :session testing
echo "hello, $name\!"
#+end_src

#+results: greeting
#+begin_src sh
hello, world\!
#+end_src

#+begin_src shell
<<greeting(name="ss")>>
#+end_src

This results in sh: hello,: command not found, as it is executing the function. I see in the documentation that I can:
- Call a function’s body with <<namedcodeblock>>
- Execute a function and return its results with <<namedcodeblock()>>
- Execute a function and return its results even with different params with <<namedcodeblock(param=“sds”)>>

So right now, the one that’s missing is, call a function’s body with different parameters. So the function <<namedcodeblock>> is not evaluated.

After searching a lot, I came across:

#+begin_src shell :session testing
<<greeting[:body](name="Testingggg")>>
#+end_src

Which results in:

sh-3.2$ PS1="org_babel_sh_prompt> "
org_babel_sh_prompt> name='Testingggg'
org_babel_sh_prompt> echo "hello, $name\!"
hello, Testingggg\!
org_babel_sh_prompt> echo 'org_babel_sh_eoe'
org_babel_sh_eoe
org_babel_sh_prompt> hello, Testingggg\!
sh: hello,: command not found
org_babel_sh_prompt> echo 'org_babel_sh_eoe'
org_babel_sh_eoe
org_babel_sh_prompt>

Which is somewhat what I need since at least the variable is changed, but the result of this execution is also passed to shell so, same error.

I can’t find much documentation about this, what is the correct syntax here?,

Thank you!