* org-mode not loading properly on startup
@ 2009-01-30  9:40 Paul Mead
From: Paul Mead @ 2009-01-30  9:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Just a niggling issue here, I have a function set up to load my main org
file work.org.

(defun gtd()
  (interactive)
  (find-file "~/.gtd/work.org")
)

Straightforward enough, but since I downloaded v6.20 I then have to
manually switch using M-x org-mode. Otherwise the faces are all wrong,
hidden stars don't work, etc. Interestingly the mode line shows 'org'
before and after. Once I manually switch it on, everything is fine.

Paul

* Re: org-mode not loading properly on startup
@ 2009-01-30  9:54 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-01-30  9:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Mead; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Jan 30, 2009, at 10:40 AM, Paul Mead wrote:

> Just a niggling issue here, I have a function set up to load my main
> org
> file work.org.
>
> (defun gtd()
>  (interactive)
>  (find-file "~/.gtd/work.org")
> )
>
> Straightforward enough, but since I downloaded v6.20 I then have to
> manually switch using M-x org-mode. Otherwise the faces are all wrong,
> hidden stars don't work, etc. Interestingly the mode line shows 'org'
> before and after. Once I manually switch it on, everything is fine.

There was a problem with faces, can you try to get 6.20g
and let me know if it works there?

Also, can you look at the messages buffer, to see if there
is anything strange in there???

- Carsten

* Re: org-mode not loading properly on startup
@ 2009-01-30 10:05   ` Paul Mead
From: Paul Mead @ 2009-01-30 10:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> writes:

> On Jan 30, 2009, at 10:40 AM, Paul Mead wrote:
>
>> Just a niggling issue here, I have a function set up to load my main  org
>> file work.org.
>>
>> (defun gtd()
>>  (interactive)
>>  (find-file "~/.gtd/work.org")
>> )
>>
>> Straightforward enough, but since I downloaded v6.20 I then have to
>> manually switch using M-x org-mode. Otherwise the faces are all wrong,
>> hidden stars don't work, etc. Interestingly the mode line shows 'org'
>> before and after. Once I manually switch it on, everything is fine.
>
> There was a problem with faces, can you try to get 6.20g
> and let me know if it works there?
>
> Also, can you look at the messages buffer, to see if there
> is anything strange in there???
>
> - Carsten

Hi Carsten,

I am already using 6.20g and the behaviour is the same. I can't see
anything funny in the *Messages* buffer, but here are the contents
immediately after running M-x gtd

("C:\\Program Files\\emacs-22.3\\bin\\emacs.exe")
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
OVERVIEW

Paul

* Re: Re: org-mode not loading properly on startup
@ 2009-01-30 11:34     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-01-30 11:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Mead; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Do you have set up to make .org files automatically enter org-mode?

What happens if you use C-x C-f to open the file?

- Carsten

@ 2009-01-30 11:49       ` Paul Mead
From: Paul Mead @ 2009-01-30 11:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> writes:

> Do you have set up to make .org files automatically enter org-mode?
>
> What happens if you use C-x C-f to open the file?
>
> - Carsten

I have the following:

(add-to-list 'auto-mode-alist '("\\.org\\'" . org-mode))

If I use C-x C-f the behaviour is the same for the first .org file which
I open. Any subsequent files that I open behave normally, whether or not
I manually start org-mode.

I have also tried opening files in different order - work.org and
home.org. Which ever one I open first after starting emacs fails to show
the faces, hide stars, etc. There doesn't appear to be anything wrong
with the files themselves therefore.

Other org-mode functions such as TAB to hide/show contents work fine.

@ 2009-01-30 12:29         ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-01-30 12:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Mead; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Jan 30, 2009, at 12:49 PM, Paul Mead wrote:

> Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> writes:
>
>> Do you have set up to make .org files automatically enter org-mode?
>>
>> What happens if you use C-x C-f to open the file?
>>
>> - Carsten
>>

> I have the following:
>
> (add-to-list 'auto-mode-alist '("\\.org\\'" . org-mode))
>
> If I use C-x C-f the behaviour is the same for the first .org file
> which
> I open. Any subsequent files that I open behave normally, whether or
> not
> I manually start org-mode.
>
> I have also tried opening files in different order - work.org and
> home.org. Which ever one I open first after starting emacs fails to
> show
> the faces, hide stars, etc. There doesn't appear to be anything wrong
> with the files themselves therefore.

I don't have enough to work on here.

Any other ideas anyone?  Maybe more windows people to test this?
Maybe Paul needs to share his full setup, or try to minimize it while
keeping the error?

- Carsten

@ 2009-01-30 13:09 Giovanni Ridolfi
From: Giovanni Ridolfi @ 2009-01-30 13:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Mead, Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

--- Ven 30/1/09, Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> ha scritto:
> On Jan 30, 2009, at 12:49 PM, Paul Mead wrote:
>
> > Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> writes:
> >
> >> Do you have set up to make .org files
> >>automatically enter org-mode?
> >>
> >> What happens if you use C-x C-f to open the file?
> >>

> > I have the following:
> >
> > (add-to-list 'auto-mode-alist '("\\.org\\'" . org-mode))
> >
> > If I use C-x C-f the behaviour is the same for the
> > first .org file  which
> > I open. Any subsequent files that I open behave
> > normally, whether or  not I manually start org-mode.
> >
> > I have also tried opening files in different order -
> > work.org and
> > home.org. Which ever one I open first after starting
> > emacs fails to   show
> > the faces, hide stars, etc. There doesn't appear
> > to be anything wrong
> > with the files themselves therefore.
>

> I don't have enough to work on here.
>
> Any other ideas anyone?
> Maybe more windows people to test
> this?
here
Win XP
Org-mode version 6.20g (just downloaded)
GNU Emacs 22.3.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600) of 2008-09-06 on SOFT-MJASON

Emacs closed and re-opened, works like a charm, faces are ok

both files with the org-mode heading:
    -*- mode: org; -*-
and test.org file

cheers,
Giovanni

* Re: Re: org-mode not loading properly on startup
@ 2009-01-30 18:27         ` Mark Elston
From: Mark Elston @ 2009-01-30 18:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode; +Cc: Paul Mead

Paul,

Try changing the org-mode line below to:

   (add-to-list 'auto-mode-alist '("\\.org$" . org-mode))

See if that makes a difference.  I don't understand the use of \\'
in your line below.

Mark

@ 2009-01-30 19:03           ` Paul Mead
From: Paul Mead @ 2009-01-30 19:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Mark Elston <m.elston@advantest-ard.com> writes:

> Paul,
>
> Try changing the org-mode line below to:
>
>   (add-to-list 'auto-mode-alist '("\\.org$" . org-mode))
>
> See if that makes a difference.  I don't understand the use of \\'
> in your line below.
>
> Mark

Hi Mark, just tried that and it made no difference.

@ 2009-01-30 19:05           ` Paul Mead
From: Paul Mead @ 2009-01-30 19:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> writes:

> I don't have enough to work on here.
>
> Any other ideas anyone?  Maybe more windows people to test this?
> Maybe Paul needs to share his full setup, or try to minimize it while  keeping
> the error?
>
> - Carsten

All my org-mode customizations are in one file:

;; pdm-org.el
;; setup and customization of org-mode
(require 'org-export-latex)

;; The following lines are always needed. Choose your own keys.
(add-to-list 'auto-mode-alist '("\\.org\\'" . org-mode))
(global-set-key "\C-cl" 'org-store-link)
(global-set-key "\C-ca" 'org-agenda)
(global-set-key "\C-cb" 'org-iswitchb)

; hooks
(add-hook 'org-mode-hook 'turn-on-font-lock)
(add-hook 'org-mode-hook 'turn-on-auto-fill) ; turn on auto-fill for files in org-mode
;(add-hook 'org-mode-hook 'longlines-mode) ; turn on longlines mode for files in org-mode
(add-hook 'org-mode-hook (lambda ()
                           (local-set-key "\M-n" 'outline-forward-same-level)
                           (local-set-key "\M-p" 'outline-backward-same-level)
))

;(setq org-refile-targets '((org-agenda-files . (:maxlevel . 2))))
(setq org-refile-targets '((org-agenda-files :maxlevel . 3)))
(setq org-hide-leading-stars t)
(setq org-odd-levels-only t) ; must use 2 stars to separate heading levels

;; Tag settings
(setq org-tag-alist '(("ANYWHERE" . ?a) ("COMPUTER" . ?c) (" HOME" . ?h) ("OFFICE" . ?o) ("PHONE" . ?t) ("ERRANDS" . ?e) ("ONLINE" . ?w))) ;; setup default 'context' tags
(setq org-tags-exclude-from-inheritance '("project"))
(setq org-tags-column 100)
(setq org-enforce-todo-dependencies t)

;; TODO settings
(setq org-log-done t) ;; turn on logging of times when TODO is marked DONE
(setq org-todo-keywords
      '((sequence "TODO(t@/!)" "PENDING(p/!)" "STARTED(s!)" "WAITING(w@/!)" "CHASE(c@!)" "|" "DONE(d@/!)" "CANCELLED(x@/!)")))
(setq org-use-fast-todo-selection t)

;; Agenda settings
(setq org-agenda-include-diary t)
(setq org-agenda-ndays 7)
(setq org-agenda-start-on-weekday nil)
(setq org-agenda-align-tags-to-column 100)
(setq org-agenda-todo-ignore-scheduled t)
(setq org-agenda-todo-ignore-deadlines t)
(setq org-enforce-todo-dependencies t)
(setq org-agenda-dim-blocked-tasks t)
(setq org-agenda-skip-deadline-if-done t)
(setq org-agenda-skip-scheduled-if-done t)
(setq org-agenda-skip-timestamp-if-done t)

(setq org-agenda-custom-commands
      '(("g" . "GTD contexts")
        ("go" "Office" tags-todo "office")
        ("gc" "Computer" tags-todo "computer")
        ("gp" "Phone" tags-todo "phone")
        ("gh" "Home" tags-todo "home")
        ("ge" "Errands" tags-todo "errands")
        ("G" "GTD Block Agenda"
         ((tags-todo "office")
          (tags-todo "computer")
          (tags-todo "phone")
          (tags-todo "online")
          (tags-todo "home")
          (tags-todo "errands")))
        ("O" "In the office"
         ((tags-todo "office")
          (tags-todo "computer")
          (tags-todo "phone")
          (tags-todo "anywhere")
          (tags-todo "online")))
        ("H" "Working from home"
         ((tags-todo "anywhere")
          (tags-todo "computer")
          (tags-todo "phone")
          (tags-todo "home")
          (tags-todo "online")))
        ))

;; function to open work.org
(defun gtd()
  (interactive)
  (find-file "~/.gtd/work.org")
)

(provide 'pdm-org)

* Re: Re: org-mode not loading properly on startup
@ 2009-01-30 19:16             ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2009-01-30 19:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Mead; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Paul Mead <paul.d.mead@gmail.com> writes:

> Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> writes:
>

>> I don't have enough to work on here.
>>
>> Any other ideas anyone?  Maybe more windows people to test this?
>> Maybe Paul needs to share his full setup, or try to minimize it while  keeping
>> the error?

Two quick ideas,

1. Try starting Emacs with the -Q option.  That disables any of your
   personal initialization/customizations.  If it is working with -Q
   then you know the problem lies somewhere in your own personal setup,
   and you can start adding things back in one at a time.

2. When you open a file you can try (\C-hv major-mode) which will tell
   you if org-mode is actually turned on.

Best of Luck -- Eric

* Re: org-mode not loading properly on startup
@ 2009-02-10  9:37   ` Paul Mead
From: Paul Mead @ 2009-02-10  9:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> On Jan 30, 2009, at 10:40 AM, Paul Mead wrote:
>
> > Just a niggling issue here, I have a function set up to load my main
> > org
> > file work.org.
> >
> > (defun gtd()
> >  (interactive)
> >  (find-file "~/.gtd/work.org")
> > )
> >
> > Straightforward enough, but since I downloaded v6.20 I then have to
> > manually switch using M-x org-mode. Otherwise the faces are all wrong,
> > hidden stars don't work, etc. Interestingly the mode line shows 'org'
> > before and after. Once I manually switch it on, everything is fine.

Just to let you know, for unrelated reasons I deleted and re-cloned the
repository and recompiled from scratch, and this problem disappeared.

Just one of those things I guess...
Paul