* pretty export of tags
@ 2010-05-31 14:56 David Bremner
From: David Bremner @ 2010-05-31 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I would like some more control over how tags are exported to PDF. I
tried both latex and docbook based methods, and as far as I can tell, in
both cases the treatment is hard-coded (at least in the docbook case it
does mark them as being different from the headline).  Is there some
existing trick I should know about?  I'd like the tags e.g. right
justified, or on the next line in a box.  The HTML treatment is almost
OK.

David

* Re: pretty export of tags
@ 2010-05-31 16:28 ` Scot Becker
From: Scot Becker @ 2010-05-31 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Bremner; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Mon, May 31, 2010 at 3:56 PM, David Bremner <bremner@unb.ca> wrote:

> I would like some more control over how tags are exported to PDF. I
> tried both latex and docbook based methods, and as far as I can tell, in
> both cases the treatment is hard-coded (at least in the docbook case it
> does mark them as being different from the headline).  Is there some
> existing trick I should know about?  I'd like the tags e.g. right
> justified, or on the next line in a box.  The HTML treatment is almost
> OK.

David,

I could have sworn I was looking at the relevant variable this
morning, but I can't find it.  (I was looking at
org-export-latex-todo-keyword-markup, but that's of course for TODO
words).  It looks to me like tag markup is hard-coded for LaTeX
export, as a simple substitution in the function
'org-export-latex-keywords-maybe.

I, too, would be glad to do some tricks on tags for LaTeX output.
Would it add to the complexity too much to expand the capabilities of
org-export-latex-classes, so that in the lines where you define the
header markup for each class, you can also define tag markup?

So in the following, %s is just the text of the header and %t is a
(comma-separated, for possible use as LaTeX arguements?) tag list:

 '(("mynewclass"
     "\\documentclass[11pt, a4paper]{article}"
     ("\\section{%s}\n\taglist{%t}" . "\\section*{%s}\n\taglist{%t}")
     ("\\subsection{%s}\n\taglist{%t}" . "\\subsection*{%s}\n\taglist{%t}")
   ... and so on.

 The above example would produce LaTeX code like this:

\section{This is a Title Here}
\taglist{tag1,tag2,tag3}
Section text goes here.

I would then define \taglist{} in my header as a custom latex command
which does the formatting I want on the tags.

Presumably I could also add whatever formatting I want around %t ---at
least whatever formatting LaTeX supports.  David, you might want to
assure yourself that LaTeX is capable of producing the results you
want.  I'm weak on the specifics, but there is some trouble putting
certain kinds of commands in LaTeX header lines.

It may be that in time, org-export-generic will grow into a tool that
can be made to produce a decent LaTeX exporter, (and might now for
certain well-structured and not-too-demanding kinds of documents), but
I suspect that time quite yet.

I'd be glad to hear of any other solutions or hacks.

Scot

* Re: pretty export of tags
@ 2010-06-04 11:22   ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-06-04 11:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Scot Becker; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On May 31, 2010, at 6:28 PM, Scot Becker wrote:

> On Mon, May 31, 2010 at 3:56 PM, David Bremner <bremner@unb.ca> wrote:
>>
>> I would like some more control over how tags are exported to PDF. I
>> tried both latex and docbook based methods, and as far as I can
>> tell, in
>> both cases the treatment is hard-coded (at least in the docbook
>> case it
>> does mark them as being different from the headline).  Is there some
>> existing trick I should know about?  I'd like the tags e.g. right
>> justified, or on the next line in a box.  The HTML treatment is
>> almost
>> OK.
>
> David,
>
> I could have sworn I was looking at the relevant variable this
> morning, but I can't find it.  (I was looking at
> org-export-latex-todo-keyword-markup, but that's of course for TODO
> words).  It looks to me like tag markup is hard-coded for LaTeX
> export, as a simple substitution in the function
> 'org-export-latex-keywords-maybe.
>
> I, too, would be glad to do some tricks on tags for LaTeX output.
> Would it add to the complexity too much to expand the capabilities of
> org-export-latex-classes, so that in the lines where you define the
> header markup for each class, you can also define tag markup?
>
> So in the following, %s is just the text of the header and %t is a
> (comma-separated, for possible use as LaTeX arguements?) tag list:
>
> '(("mynewclass"
>     "\\documentclass[11pt, a4paper]{article}"
>     ("\\section{%s}\n\taglist{%t}" . "\\section*{%s}\n\taglist{%t}")
>     ("\\subsection{%s}\n\taglist{%t}" . "\\subsection*{%s}\n
> \taglist{%t}")
>   ... and so on.
>
> The above example would produce LaTeX code like this:
>
> \section{This is a Title Here}
> \taglist{tag1,tag2,tag3}
> Section text goes here.
>
> I would then define \taglist{} in my header as a custom latex command
> which does the formatting I want on the tags.

Would it not be more consistent if I just make the command for the
taglist
be specified in a variable, similar to org-export-latex-todo-keyword-
markup.
This seems the more logical solution to me.  You could still use a non-
existing command and define it in the header....

> Presumably I could also add whatever formatting I want around %t ---at
> least whatever formatting LaTeX supports.  David, you might want to
> assure yourself that LaTeX is capable of producing the results you
> want.  I'm weak on the specifics, but there is some trouble putting
> certain kinds of commands in LaTeX header lines.
>
> It may be that in time, org-export-generic will grow into a tool that
> can be made to produce a decent LaTeX exporter, (and might now for
> certain well-structured and not-too-demanding kinds of documents), but
> I suspect that time quite yet.
>
> I'd be glad to hear of any other solutions or hacks.
>
> Scot

- Carsten

* Re: pretty export of tags
@ 2010-09-14 10:00     ` Scot Becker
From: Scot Becker @ 2010-09-14 10:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> Would it not be more consistent if I just make the command for the taglist
> be specified in a variable, similar to org-export-latex-todo-keyword-markup.
> This seems the more logical solution to me.  You could still use a
> non-existing command and define it in the header....

Not sure how I missed your last email, so long ago... but:  Yes.  That
seems great solution.

Scot

* Re: pretty export of tags
@ 2010-09-14 12:43       ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-09-14 12:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Scot Becker; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Sep 14, 2010, at 12:00 PM, Scot Becker wrote:

>> Would it not be more consistent if I just make the command for the
>> taglist
>> be specified in a variable, similar to org-export-latex-todo-
>> keyword-markup.
>> This seems the more logical solution to me.  You could still use a
>> non-existing command and define it in the header....
>
> Not sure how I missed your last email, so long ago... but:  Yes.  That
> seems great solution.

Hi Scot,

there is now org-export-latex-tag-format

Cheers.

- Carsten

* Re: pretty export of tags
@ 2010-09-15 22:04         ` Scot Becker