* Something like 'org-clock-in-at-time'?
@ 2011-03-12 20:48 John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2011-03-12 20:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

Could someone fill me in on your process for clocking in things after
the fact? I've been trying to get into to clocking, but, especially at
home, I don't return to my computer in between every different thing.
Instead, I stop at it when I get a pause and try to fill in what I've
been doing. So far, this has been something akin to:

- create a new sub-headline and call it what I was doing
- C-c C-c to tag it
- C-c C-x C-i followed by C-c C-x C-o to create a clocked time stamps
- Manually edit the times
- C-c C-c to update the count

This gets quite tedious when adding several things. I have to expand
the logbook, and then fiddle with the times.
Could there be (or is there already) a function that might act like
the date selection screen for clocking? I looked at the completion
list for org-clock-* commands and none of them looked promising. I
could envision something like:

- M-x org-clock-in-at-time
- Minibuffer presents date selection, you select date just like for timestamps
- Minibuffer requests time in form HH:MM and you can type it in

Same type of function for clocking out. This would *vastly* simplify
how I end up clocking.

I'm absolutely open to suggestions from others on how you deal with
this. Perhaps this is an opportunity to learn about how the *experts*
access some functionality I'm currently unaware of!

Thanks,
John

* Re: Something like 'org-clock-in-at-time'?
@ 2011-03-14  1:05 ` Richard Lawrence
From: Richard Lawrence @ 2011-03-14  1:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com> writes:

> Could someone fill me in on your process for clocking in things after
> the fact? I've been trying to get into to clocking, but, especially at
> home, I don't return to my computer in between every different thing.
> Instead, I stop at it when I get a pause and try to fill in what I've
> been doing. So far, this has been something akin to:
>
> - create a new sub-headline and call it what I was doing
> - C-c C-c to tag it
> - C-c C-x C-i followed by C-c C-x C-o to create a clocked time stamps
> - Manually edit the times
> - C-c C-c to update the count

Not sure if this is entirely relevant here, but I have a similar
problem.  I often find I need to mark recurring tasks as "done" that I
completed on the previous day or even earlier.  For most tasks, it
doesn't matter when I mark them as done; but if the task uses org-habits, it
means I have to manually edit the timestamp so that it doesn't mess up
the habit log going forward.

If there's a better way to deal with situations like this, I'd love to
hear about it.  If not, I just wanted to point out another use case for
anyone thinking about implementing "retroactive timestamp editing"
functions.

Thanks!

Richard

* Re: Something like 'org-clock-in-at-time'?
@ 2011-04-09 17:24 ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2011-04-09 17:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Just wanted to bump this as it's almost been a month. Even feedback as
to whether or not this is feasible would be appreciated. If it's not,
or it is but just won't happen, I'll resolve to keep clocking in,
immediately clocking out, and then futzing with the times by hand.

Thanks,
John

On Sat, Mar 12, 2011 at 2:48 PM, John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>

> Could someone fill me in on your process for clocking in things after
> the fact? I've been trying to get into to clocking, but, especially at
> home, I don't return to my computer in between every different thing.
> Instead, I stop at it when I get a pause and try to fill in what I've
> been doing. So far, this has been something akin to:
>
> - create a new sub-headline and call it what I was doing
> - C-c C-c to tag it
> - C-c C-x C-i followed by C-c C-x C-o to create a clocked time stamps
> - Manually edit the times
> - C-c C-c to update the count
>

> This gets quite tedious when adding several things. I have to expand
> the logbook, and then fiddle with the times.
> Could there be (or is there already) a function that might act like
> the date selection screen for clocking? I looked at the completion
> list for org-clock-* commands and none of them looked promising. I
> could envision something like:
>
> - M-x org-clock-in-at-time
> - Minibuffer presents date selection, you select date just like for timestamps
> - Minibuffer requests time in form HH:MM and you can type it in
>
> Same type of function for clocking out. This would *vastly* simplify
> how I end up clocking.
>
> I'm absolutely open to suggestions from others on how you deal with
> this. Perhaps this is an opportunity to learn about how the *experts*
> access some functionality I'm currently unaware of!
>

> Thanks,
> John

* Re: Something like 'org-clock-in-at-time'?
@ 2011-04-09 18:03   ` Bernt Hansen
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2011-04-09 18:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Hendy; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com> writes:

> On Sat, Mar 12, 2011 at 2:48 PM, John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Could someone fill me in on your process for clocking in things after
>> the fact? I've been trying to get into to clocking, but, especially at
>> home, I don't return to my computer in between every different thing.
>> Instead, I stop at it when I get a pause and try to fill in what I've
>> been doing. So far, this has been something akin to:
>>
>> - create a new sub-headline and call it what I was doing
>> - C-c C-c to tag it
>> - C-c C-x C-i followed by C-c C-x C-o to create a clocked time stamps
>> - Manually edit the times
>> - C-c C-c to update the count
>>

>> This gets quite tedious when adding several things. I have to expand
>> the logbook, and then fiddle with the times.
>> Could there be (or is there already) a function that might act like
>> the date selection screen for clocking? I looked at the completion
>> list for org-clock-* commands and none of them looked promising. I
>> could envision something like:
>>
>> - M-x org-clock-in-at-time
>> - Minibuffer presents date selection, you select date just like for timestamps
>> - Minibuffer requests time in form HH:MM and you can type it in
>>
>> Same type of function for clocking out. This would *vastly* simplify
>> how I end up clocking.
>>
>> I'm absolutely open to suggestions from others on how you deal with
>> this. Perhaps this is an opportunity to learn about how the *experts*
>> access some functionality I'm currently unaware of!

> Just wanted to bump this as it's almost been a month. Even feedback as
> to whether or not this is feasible would be appreciated. If it's not,
> or it is but just won't happen, I'll resolve to keep clocking in,
> immediately clocking out, and then futzing with the times by hand.

Hi John,

I don't have a workflow for this but I just did a little experiment
which may be easier than what you are currently doing.

It's now 1:54PM and I wanted to try to create a few (fake) tasks and
generate clocking data for the following:

 - task 1 for 8:00 - 8:30
 - task 2 for 8:30 - 8:45
 - task 3 for 8:45 - 11:00
 - task 4 for 11:00 - 13:00
 - task 5 for 13:00 - now (current task)

so I did the following:

1) Stop the clock
2) Create the tasks

   * TODO Experiment with clocking in old data
   [2011-04-09 Sat 13:47]
   ** TODO Old task for 8am - 8:30
   [2011-04-09 Sat 13:48]
   ** TODO 8:30-8:45
   [2011-04-09 Sat 13:48]
   ** TODO 8:45-11:00
   [2011-04-09 Sat 13:48]
   ** TODO 11:00-1PM
   [2011-04-09 Sat 13:48]
   ** TODO current task
   [2011-04-09 Sat 13:48]

3) Clock in the first task (Old task for 8am - 8:30)
4) Manually move the clock back to 8AM with S-up and S-down on the clock
   line CLOCK: [2011-04-09 Sat 13:52]CLOCK: [2011-04-09 Sat 08:00]
   (or just edit it)
5) M-x org-resolve-clocks  (I have this bound to M-F11)
6) enter K to keep 30 minutes and stop the clock
7) Go to the next task and clock that in
8) answer Yes to start the clock from the last time
9) M-F11 (M-x org-resolve-clocks) again and enter K to keep 15 minutes
   for the 8:30-8:45 task
10) Lather, rinse, and repeat 7-9 for all but the last task
11) Then clock in the last task and continue with whatever you are
    doing.

This results in something like this

* DONE Experiment with clocking in old data
CLOSED: [2011-04-09 Sat 13:51]
:LOGBOOK:
- State "DONE"       from "STARTED"    [2011-04-09 Sat 13:51]
:END:
[2011-04-09 Sat 13:47]
[[gnus:nntp%2Bnews.gmane.org:gmane.emacs.orgmode][gnus:nntp+news.gmane.org:gmane.emacs.orgmode]]
** DONE Old task for 8am - 8:30
CLOSED: [2011-04-09 Sat 13:50]
:LOGBOOK:
- State "DONE"       from "STARTED"    [2011-04-09 Sat 13:50]
CLOCK: [2011-04-09 Sat 08:00]--[2011-04-09 Sat 08:30] =>  0:30
:END:
[2011-04-09 Sat 13:48]
** DONE 8:30-8:45
CLOSED: [2011-04-09 Sat 13:50]
:LOGBOOK:
- State "DONE"       from "STARTED"    [2011-04-09 Sat 13:50]
CLOCK: [2011-04-09 Sat 08:30]--[2011-04-09 Sat 08:45] =>  0:15
:END:
[2011-04-09 Sat 13:48]
** DONE 8:45-11:00
CLOSED: [2011-04-09 Sat 13:50]
:LOGBOOK:
- State "DONE"       from "STARTED"    [2011-04-09 Sat 13:50]
CLOCK: [2011-04-09 Sat 08:45]--[2011-04-09 Sat 11:00] =>  2:15
:END:
[2011-04-09 Sat 13:48]
** DONE 11:00-1PM
CLOSED: [2011-04-09 Sat 13:50]
:LOGBOOK:
- State "DONE"       from "STARTED"    [2011-04-09 Sat 13:50]
CLOCK: [2011-04-09 Sat 11:00]--[2011-04-09 Sat 13:00] =>  2:00
:END:
[2011-04-09 Sat 13:48]
** DONE current task
CLOSED: [2011-04-09 Sat 13:50]
:LOGBOOK:
- State "DONE"       from "STARTED"    [2011-04-09 Sat 13:50]
CLOCK: [2011-04-09 Sat 13:00]--[2011-04-09 Sat 13:50] =>  0:50
:END:
[2011-04-09 Sat 13:48]

Does that help?

Regards,
Bernt

* Re: Something like 'org-clock-in-at-time'?
@ 2011-04-09 18:05     ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2011-04-09 18:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Hendy; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Bernt Hansen <bernt@norang.ca> writes:

> John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> On Sat, Mar 12, 2011 at 2:48 PM, John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> - create a new sub-headline and call it what I was doing
>>> - C-c C-c to tag it
>>> - C-c C-x C-i followed by C-c C-x C-o to create a clocked time stamps
>>> - Manually edit the times
>>> - C-c C-c to update the count

One more thing,

Using S-up and S-down on the time in the clock line to change hours and
minutes will automatically update the total summary time for the clock
line.

-Bernt

* Re: Something like 'org-clock-in-at-time'?
@ 2011-04-10 15:00     ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2011-04-10 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bernt Hansen; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Sat, Apr 9, 2011 at 1:03 PM, Bernt Hansen <bernt@norang.ca> wrote:

> John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> On Sat, Mar 12, 2011 at 2:48 PM, John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Could someone fill me in on your process for clocking in things after
>>> the fact? I've been trying to get into to clocking, but, especially at
>>> home, I don't return to my computer in between every different thing.
>>> Instead, I stop at it when I get a pause and try to fill in what I've
>>> been doing. So far, this has been something akin to:
>>>
>>> - create a new sub-headline and call it what I was doing
>>> - C-c C-c to tag it
>>> - C-c C-x C-i followed by C-c C-x C-o to create a clocked time stamps
>>> - Manually edit the times
>>> - C-c C-c to update the count
>>>

>>> This gets quite tedious when adding several things. I have to expand
>>> the logbook, and then fiddle with the times.
>>> Could there be (or is there already) a function that might act like
>>> the date selection screen for clocking? I looked at the completion
>>> list for org-clock-* commands and none of them looked promising. I
>>> could envision something like:
>>>
>>> - M-x org-clock-in-at-time
>>> - Minibuffer presents date selection, you select date just like for timestamps
>>> - Minibuffer requests time in form HH:MM and you can type it in
>>>
>>> Same type of function for clocking out. This would *vastly* simplify
>>> how I end up clocking.
>>>
>>> I'm absolutely open to suggestions from others on how you deal with
>>> this. Perhaps this is an opportunity to learn about how the *experts*
>>> access some functionality I'm currently unaware of!
>
>> Just wanted to bump this as it's almost been a month. Even feedback as
>> to whether or not this is feasible would be appreciated. If it's not,
>> or it is but just won't happen, I'll resolve to keep clocking in,
>> immediately clocking out, and then futzing with the times by hand.
>
> Hi John,
>
> I don't have a workflow for this but I just did a little experiment
> which may be easier than what you are currently doing.
>
> It's now 1:54PM and I wanted to try to create a few (fake) tasks and
> generate clocking data for the following:
>
>  - task 1 for 8:00 - 8:30
>  - task 2 for 8:30 - 8:45
>  - task 3 for 8:45 - 11:00
>  - task 4 for 11:00 - 13:00
>  - task 5 for 13:00 - now (current task)
>
> so I did the following:
>
> 1) Stop the clock
> 2) Create the tasks
>
>   --8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
>   * TODO Experiment with clocking in old data
>   [2011-04-09 Sat 13:47]
>   ** TODO Old task for 8am - 8:30
>   [2011-04-09 Sat 13:48]

<snip>

>   [2011-04-09 Sat 13:48]
>   --8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---
>
> 3) Clock in the first task (Old task for 8am - 8:30)
> 4) Manually move the clock back to 8AM with S-up and S-down on the clock
>   line CLOCK: [2011-04-09 Sat 13:52]CLOCK: [2011-04-09 Sat 08:00]
>   (or just edit it)
> 5) M-x org-resolve-clocks  (I have this bound to M-F11)
> 6) enter K to keep 30 minutes and stop the clock
> 7) Go to the next task and clock that in
> 8) answer Yes to start the clock from the last time
> 9) M-F11 (M-x org-resolve-clocks) again and enter K to keep 15 minutes
>   for the 8:30-8:45 task
> 10) Lather, rinse, and repeat 7-9 for all but the last task
> 11) Then clock in the last task and continue with whatever you are
>    doing.
>
> This results in something like this

> * DONE Experiment with clocking in old data
> CLOSED: [2011-04-09 Sat 13:51]
> :LOGBOOK:
> - State "DONE"       from "STARTED"    [2011-04-09 Sat 13:51]
> :END:
> [2011-04-09 Sat 13:47]
> [[gnus:nntp%2Bnews.gmane.org:gmane.emacs.orgmode][gnus:nntp+news.gmane.org:gmane.emacs.orgmode]]

<snip>

> Does that help?

Yes! Very much. I can make that work. I haven't used a clock in a
while and I'm wondering if something recently changed... my clocks
used to get put in a :PROPERTIES: drawer and now they're not doing so.
I'll have to dig around on that.

The K option really helps; I should have been aware of it!

Thanks again!
John

@ 2011-04-10 16:32       ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2011-04-10 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Hendy; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com> writes:

> I haven't used a clock in a while and I'm wondering if something
> recently changed... my clocks used to get put in a :PROPERTIES: drawer
> and now they're not doing so.  I'll have to dig around on that.

I put all my clock data in the LOGBOOK drawer currently.

(setq org-clock-into-drawer t)
(setq org-log-into-drawer t)

I don't think there is anything else required.

Regards,
Bernt

* Re: Something like 'org-clock-in-at-time'?
@ 2011-04-11  0:59         ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2011-04-11  0:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bernt Hansen; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Sun, Apr 10, 2011 at 11:32 AM, Bernt Hansen <bernt@norang.ca> wrote:
> John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I haven't used a clock in a while and I'm wondering if something
>> recently changed... my clocks used to get put in a :PROPERTIES: drawer
>> and now they're not doing so.  I'll have to dig around on that.
>
> I put all my clock data in the LOGBOOK drawer currently.
>
> (setq org-clock-into-drawer t)
> (setq org-log-into-drawer t)

I must be going crazy. Somehow that wasn't in my home config but my
previous clock entries are all in drawers. I'm positive my work setup
works like this. No idea how that happened! All is well now.

Many thanks,
John

> I don't think there is anything else required.
>
> Regards,
> Bernt

* Re: Re: Something like 'org-clock-in-at-time'?
@ 2011-04-11  2:42     ` Nathan Neff
From: Nathan Neff @ 2011-04-11  2:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bernt Hansen; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Sat, Apr 9, 2011 at 1:03 PM, Bernt Hansen <bernt@norang.ca> wrote:

> John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> On Sat, Mar 12, 2011 at 2:48 PM, John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Could someone fill me in on your process for clocking in things after
>>> the fact? I've been trying to get into to clocking, but, especially at
>>> home, I don't return to my computer in between every different thing.
>>> Instead, I stop at it when I get a pause and try to fill in what I've
>>> been doing. So far, this has been something akin to:
<snip>

> Hi John,
>
> I don't have a workflow for this but I just did a little experiment
> which may be easier than what you are currently doing.
>
> It's now 1:54PM and I wanted to try to create a few (fake) tasks and
> generate clocking data for the following:
>
>  - task 1 for 8:00 - 8:30
>  - task 2 for 8:30 - 8:45
>  - task 3 for 8:45 - 11:00
>  - task 4 for 11:00 - 13:00
>  - task 5 for 13:00 - now (current task)
>
> so I did the following:
>
> 1) Stop the clock
> 2) Create the tasks
>
>   --8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
>   * TODO Experiment with clocking in old data
>   [2011-04-09 Sat 13:47]
>   ** TODO Old task for 8am - 8:30
>   [2011-04-09 Sat 13:48]
>   ** TODO 8:30-8:45
>   [2011-04-09 Sat 13:48]
>   ** TODO 8:45-11:00
>   [2011-04-09 Sat 13:48]
>   ** TODO 11:00-1PM
>   [2011-04-09 Sat 13:48]
>   ** TODO current task
>   [2011-04-09 Sat 13:48]
>   --8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---
>
> 3) Clock in the first task (Old task for 8am - 8:30)
> 4) Manually move the clock back to 8AM with S-up and S-down on the clock
>   line CLOCK: [2011-04-09 Sat 13:52]CLOCK: [2011-04-09 Sat 08:00]
>   (or just edit it)
> 5) M-x org-resolve-clocks  (I have this bound to M-F11)
> 6) enter K to keep 30 minutes and stop the clock
> 7) Go to the next task and clock that in
> 8) answer Yes to start the clock from the last time
> 9) M-F11 (M-x org-resolve-clocks) again and enter K to keep 15 minutes
>   for the 8:30-8:45 task
> 10) Lather, rinse, and repeat 7-9 for all but the last task
> 11) Then clock in the last task and continue with whatever you are
>    doing.
<snip Bernt's answer>

This is a great way of resolving the *latest* block of time.

What about having the ability to use the log-mode in the agenda to
manipulate clock times?

For example, given something like this in the agenda log, I could see holes
in my day, and quickly modify the time(s) to close up the holes without
jumping back & forth to each entry.

  nate:       20:30-21:00 Clocked:   (0:03) DONE Update tax notes
---- 15 minute gap ----
  nate:       21:15-21:30 Clocked:   (0:15) TODO Mail taxes
----- 30 minute gap ---
  nate:       22:00-22:30 Clocked:   (0:30) DONE Drink beer

I think that this is much harder than what it seems, due to agenda
refreshing, and the myriad edge cases.  But, I can dream :-)

--Nate