* Mixing org-mode tables with outlining?
@ 2011-05-19  6:21 Chris Barber
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Chris Barber @ 2011-05-19  6:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi, I am planning to record some ideas in org-mode, and I would love to be
able to set it out as follows:

* Ideas
** | Idea | A property | A property |
*** Regular outlined notes
Some notes
*** More sub notes
** | Idea 2 | Property | Property |

Is there any way for me to do this? Essentially it would function like a
table until you tab down into it.
I think this would be FANTASTIC!
Thanks,
Chris

* Re: Mixing org-mode tables with outlining?
@ 2011-05-19  7:56 ` Eric S Fraga
       [not found] ` <4DD4C4A8.5040804@christianmoe.com>
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2011-05-19  7:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Chris Barber <c.barber80@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi, I am planning to record some ideas in org-mode, and I would love to be
> able to set it out as follows:
>
> * Ideas
> ** | Idea | A property | A property |
> *** Regular outlined notes
> Some notes
> *** More sub notes
> ** | Idea 2 | Property | Property |
>
> Is there any way for me to do this? Essentially it would function like a
> table until you tab down into it.
> I think this would be FANTASTIC!
> Thanks,
> Chris

Have a look at properties and columns in info: (org) Properties and
Columns.  I believe that column with with properties will do exactly
what you want.
--
: Eric S Fraga (GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D) in Emacs 24.0.50.1
: using Org-mode version 7.5 (release_7.5.284.g2a8fb)

* Re: Mixing org-mode tables with outlining?
@ 2011-05-19  8:53 ` Michael Brand
       [not found] ` <4DD4C4A8.5040804@christianmoe.com>
From: Michael Brand @ 2011-05-19  8:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Barber; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Chris

This _is_ fantastic, Org can do it with column view:
http://orgmode.org/manual/Column-view.html#Column-view

Michael

@ 2011-05-19 11:22   ` Chris Barber
From: Chris Barber @ 2011-05-19 11:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mail; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Thanks for the suggestion. I will definitely consider that.
What do you mean by:
'For one thing, you won't be able to do advanced searching for tag/property
combinations, gather those properties into a column view or dynamic block
(for that you want regular Org properties). Nor easily access them from a
spreadsheet or source code elsewhere in the document (for that you want a
named table).'
Cheers

@ 2011-05-19 11:24   ` Chris Barber
From: Chris Barber @ 2011-05-19 11:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Brand; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

This is a great idea!
I think I may well end up using this.
Would it still be possible to do calculations within the heading?
Eg once I have filled in all my headings and properties, how could I make
the value of the last property for each heading equal to the average of the
previous 3 columns?

@ 2011-05-19 12:36     ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2011-05-19 12:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Barber; +Cc: Michael Brand, emacs-orgmode

Chris Barber <c.barber80@gmail.com> writes:

> This is a great idea!
> I think I may well end up using this.
> Would it still be possible to do calculations within the heading?

Calculation on properties of headings should be possible with org-collector
http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/org-collector.html

> Eg once I have filled in all my headings and properties, how could I
> make the value of the last property for each heading equal to the
> average of the previous 3 columns?

I'm not sure if your above case would work out of the box, but the
current implementation should be a start.

Best -- Eric

> On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 6:53 PM, Michael Brand
> <michael.ch.brand@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Hi Chris
>>
>> This _is_ fantastic, Org can do it with column view:
>> http://orgmode.org/manual/Column-view.html#Column-view
>>
>> Michael
>>
>> On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 08:21, Chris Barber <c.barber80@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Hi, I am planning to record some ideas in org-mode, and I would love to
>> be
>> > able to set it out as follows:
>> > * Ideas
>> > ** | Idea | A property | A property |
>> > *** Regular outlined notes
>> > Some notes
>> > *** More sub notes
>> > ** | Idea 2 | Property | Property |
>> > Is there any way for me to do this? Essentially it would function like a
>> > table until you tab down into it.
>> > I think this would be FANTASTIC!

--
Eric Schulte
http://cs.unm.edu/~eschulte/

* Re: Mixing org-mode tables with outlining?
@ 2011-05-19 13:16     ` Michael Brand
From: Michael Brand @ 2011-05-19 13:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Barber; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 13:24, Chris Barber <c.barber80@gmail.com> wrote:
> Would it still be possible to do calculations within the heading?
> Eg once I have filled in all my headings and properties, how could I make
> the value of the last property for each heading equal to the average of the
> previous 3 columns?

Yes, Org column view is equipped to do all kinds of aggregations like
to calculate the average/sum/min/max/... of the _lower_ level columns,
see "{summary-type}" in:
http://orgmode.org/manual/Column-attributes.html#Column-attributes

To get an idea of the power of column view I would also recommend
Carsten's talk at 00:18:23
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJTwQvgfgMM#t=18m23s
and Russell's talk at about 00:54:00
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2572085463585491742