* My new favorite custom agenda command
@ 2011-04-15 13:59 Matthew Sauer
From: Matthew Sauer @ 2011-04-15 13:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have been working on learning and playing with some lisp and looking
through the amazing powerfulness of orgmode.  This is my new favorite
agenda command.  I use it as the right hand side of my startup buffers
(I have two).  On the left I have my refile.org file (the "I am not
sure where I am putting this item but I need a container for it") that
is a temporary storage buffer I need to try to keep empty except for
my refile headlines and a dynamic block showing recently updated
files.  On the right is the following calendar, gives me a good
overview.  Of course for some users the deadline warning days might
need to be smaller for unscheduled deadlines.

Thanks for all the help and good ideas I have seen flowing through the
list that has helped me get to where I can start hacking orgmode to be
what I want/need it to be.

Matt

----------cut here----------cut here-------------start--------

'(org-agenda-custom-commands
   (quote (
           ("s" "Startup View" (
                                (agenda "" ;;short calendar
                                        '(org-agenda-ndays 2) ;;
Number of Days of Agenda Calendar to Display
                                        '(org-deadline-warning-days
7)) ;; Show all deadlines for next week
                                (agenda ""  ;; how many days until an
item is due if I haven't scheduled to work on it
                                        ((org-agenda-time-grid nil)
                                         (org-deadline-warning-days
365)        ;; Shows all deadlines for next nnn days
                                         (org-agenda-entry-types
'(:deadline))  ;; Look just for items if they have a deadline
                                         (org-agenda-skip-entry-if
'scheduled)  ;; Skips items that are scheduled
                                         (org-agenda-ndays 1) ;; Show just today
                                         (org-agenda-overriding-header
"Unscheduled upcoming deadlines:") ;;Meaningful name
                                         ))
                                (todo ""
'(org-agenda-overriding-header "Unscheduled No Deadline TODO:
"));;TODO items not scheduled nor
deadlined
                                )))))
----------cut here----------------cut here----------------end---------

* Re: My new favorite custom agenda command
@ 2011-04-15 14:27 ` Matthew Sauer
From: Matthew Sauer @ 2011-04-15 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

However, now looking at it, maybe my top agenda calendar should skip
deadlines or just have todays since I have a larger list below.  Hmm,
going to have to think about this some more but I am really liking
this start.

Matt

@ 2011-05-01  3:14 ` Jeff Horn
From: Jeff Horn @ 2011-05-01  3:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 9:59 AM, Matthew Sauer
<improv.philosophy@gmail.com> wrote:
> (I have two).  On the left I have my refile.org file (the "I am not
> sure where I am putting this item but I need a container for it") that
> is a temporary storage buffer I need to try to keep empty except for
> my refile headlines and a dynamic block showing recently updated
> files.  On the right is the following calendar, gives me a good
> overview.  Of course for some users the deadline warning days might
> need to be smaller for unscheduled deadlines.

Thanks for sharing this. I especially like hearing how other people
are creatively using org-mode. Would you mind sharing a bit more?

1) How do you see a "refile.org" file working different than general
inbox? What are your refile headings? Spaces for tasks that don't need
whole files?
2) How do you use this dynamic block? Recently updated org files?

--
Jeffrey Horn
http://www.failuretorefrain.com/jeff/