* Backuping org with git, cron and Dropbox
@ 2011-05-01  5:29 Marcelo de Moraes Serpa
From: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa @ 2011-05-01  5:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode

Hi list,

I just would like to share the approach I use (just finished setting
it up) to backup org.

I keep all my org files on ~/org/*. This is also a git repo. Every
night at 12:00AM, a cron job will run a sh script that will:

1) Commit with the current date ( Sat-30-04-2011-11:43:28 PM for example);
2) push to origin.

It's simpler than other solution such as backupninja (that I don't if
would work on dropbox) and keeps also a revision history (per day).

Here's the remote configuration for git.

  8 [remote "origin"]
  9   url = /Users/myname/Dropbox/org
 10   fetch = refs/heads/master:refs/heads/origin

Another thing I should point out is that I'm using (the excellent)
org-crypt to encrypt sensitive information such as bank accounts data
and passwords.

Also, I'm using TimeMachine to backup to an external hard-drive. Time
machine is not the most efficient of backup solutions but "just
works". I'll see if I can setup backupninja to backup to Dropbox as
well, if so, I might switch to that.

Hope might useful for someone out there :)

Cheers,

Marcelo.