* beamer: centering list items
@ 2011-05-11 23:25 Mehul Sanghvi
From: Mehul Sanghvi @ 2011-05-11 23:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I would like to center the list items that I have in my presentation.
How would I do that ?
Is that a LaTeX thing or can it be done from within org-mode/beamer ?

--
Mehul N. Sanghvi
email: mehul.sanghvi@gmail.com

* Re: beamer: centering list items
@ 2011-05-12  0:28 ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2011-05-12  0:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mehul Sanghvi; +Cc: nicholas.dokos, emacs-orgmode

Mehul Sanghvi <mehul.sanghvi@gmail.com> wrote:

> I would like to center the list items that I have in my presentation.
> How would I do that ?

Vertically? I think that's what you get by default (at least that's what I get).

Horizontally? Each list item centered? I hope not - it's going to look ugly.
You can do something like this

#+LaTeX_CLASS: beamer

* foo
#+LaTeX: \begin{center}
one\\
two three\\
four five six
#+LaTeX: \end{center}

and each line will be centered, but you cannot do this with a list:
I think the box that the list occupies takes up the whole width of the
slide, so centering it is a no-op.

Or perhaps you want the whole box indented so that the items are closer
to the center of the slide (but still left-aligned)? I think you can do
that by playing with list parameters in LaTeX, but I don't have my
references handy and don't know how to do it off the top of my head.

> Is that a LaTeX thing or can it be done from within org-mode/beamer ?

The former, probably.

Nick

* Re: beamer: centering list items
@ 2011-05-12  7:16   ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2011-05-12  7:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nicholas.dokos; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Mehul Sanghvi

Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos@hp.com> writes:

> Mehul Sanghvi <mehul.sanghvi@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I would like to center the list items that I have in my presentation.
>> How would I do that ?
>
> Vertically? I think that's what you get by default (at least that's what I get).
>
> Horizontally? Each list item centered? I hope not - it's going to look ugly.
> You can do something like this
>
> #+LaTeX_CLASS: beamer
>
> * foo
> #+LaTeX: \begin{center}
> one\\
> two three\\
> four five six
> #+LaTeX: \end{center}
>
> and each line will be centered, but you cannot do this with a list:
> I think the box that the list occupies takes up the whole width of the
> slide, so centering it is a no-op.
>
> Or perhaps you want the whole box indented so that the items are closer
> to the center of the slide (but still left-aligned)? I think you can do
> that by playing with list parameters in LaTeX, but I don't have my
> references handy and don't know how to do it off the top of my head.

If you want the list as a whole centred, the way Nick suggests here,
taking up less of the width, you can put the list inside a column block
with a desired width.  There need not be more than one column block in a
given slide!

--
: Eric S Fraga (GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D) in Emacs 24.0.50.1
: using Org-mode version 7.5 (release_7.5.274.gd6aba)