* export problems
@ 2011-05-31  4:02 Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2011-05-31  4:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Export has recently stopped working for me: any C-c C-e gives me:

org-export: Symbol's function definition is void:
internal-temp-output-buffer-show

Instead of an export menu. Org is up to date git, and I get this even
starting with emacs -Q. I haven't seen a chorus of complaints here, so I
assume it still has to be me, somehow, but does anyone know why this
would be happening? I'm on Ubuntu Natty, running:

GNU Emacs 23.2.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.4) of 2011-04-04
on rothera, modified by Debian

Thanks!
Eric

* Re: export problems
@ 2011-06-03  6:13 ` Noorul Islam
From: Noorul Islam @ 2011-06-03  6:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Abrahamsen; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 9:32 AM, Eric Abrahamsen
<eric@ericabrahamsen.net> wrote:
> Export has recently stopped working for me: any C-c C-e gives me:
>
> org-export: Symbol's function definition is void:
> internal-temp-output-buffer-show
>
> Instead of an export menu. Org is up to date git, and I get this even
> starting with emacs -Q. I haven't seen a chorus of complaints here, so I
> assume it still has to be me, somehow, but does anyone know why this
> would be happening? I'm on Ubuntu Natty, running:
>
> GNU Emacs 23.2.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.4) of 2011-04-04
> on rothera, modified by Debian

No issues on

GNU Emacs 24.0.50.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.20.1)
 of 2011-04-30 on noorul

Org-mode version 7.5 (release_7.5.321.g363a)

Thanks and Regards
Noorul

* Re: export problems
@ 2011-06-03 14:08   ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2011-06-03 14:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Noorul Islam <noorul@noorul.com> writes:

> On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 9:32 AM, Eric Abrahamsen
> <eric@ericabrahamsen.net> wrote:
>> Export has recently stopped working for me: any C-c C-e gives me:
>>
>> org-export: Symbol's function definition is void:
>> internal-temp-output-buffer-show
>>
>> Instead of an export menu. Org is up to date git, and I get this even
>> starting with emacs -Q. I haven't seen a chorus of complaints here, so I
>> assume it still has to be me, somehow, but does anyone know why this
>> would be happening? I'm on Ubuntu Natty, running:
>>
>> GNU Emacs 23.2.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.4) of 2011-04-04
>> on rothera, modified by Debian
>>

> No issues on
>
> GNU Emacs 24.0.50.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.20.1)
>  of 2011-04-30 on noorul
>
> Org-mode version 7.5 (release_7.5.321.g363a)

Thanks Noorul,

I went to do some debugging, and discovered that re-evaluating the
org-export function fixes everything. I don't understand what's
happening -- I've done "make clean/make all" cycles, reloaded org code,
restarted emacs, deleted byte-compiled files, all several times over,
and yet on each restart of emacs, org export gives me the above error
until I open org-exp.el and re-evaluate the org-export function.

Does that make sense to anyone? An autoload problem, perhaps? Any advice
would be much appreciated, though at least now I can export again…

Thanks,
Eric

* Re: export problems
@ 2011-06-03 14:23   ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2011-06-03 14:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Noorul Islam; +Cc: Eric Abrahamsen, nicholas.dokos, emacs-orgmode

Noorul Islam <noorul@noorul.com> wrote:

> On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 9:32 AM, Eric Abrahamsen
> <eric@ericabrahamsen.net> wrote:
> > Export has recently stopped working for me: any C-c C-e gives me:
> >
> > org-export: Symbol's function definition is void:
> > internal-temp-output-buffer-show
> >
> > Instead of an export menu. Org is up to date git, and I get this even
> > starting with emacs -Q. I haven't seen a chorus of complaints here, so I
> > assume it still has to be me, somehow, but does anyone know why this
> > would be happening? I'm on Ubuntu Natty, running:
> >
> > GNU Emacs 23.2.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.4) of 2011-04-04
> > on rothera, modified by Debian
> >

> No issues on
>
> GNU Emacs 24.0.50.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.20.1)
>  of 2011-04-30 on noorul
>
> Org-mode version 7.5 (release_7.5.321.g363a)

Assuming that the problem is still present, a backtrace might help.

Nick

* Re: export problems
@ 2011-06-03 15:08     ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2011-06-03 15:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos@hp.com> writes:

> Noorul Islam <noorul@noorul.com> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 9:32 AM, Eric Abrahamsen
>> <eric@ericabrahamsen.net> wrote:
>> > Export has recently stopped working for me: any C-c C-e gives me:
>> >
>> > org-export: Symbol's function definition is void:
>> > internal-temp-output-buffer-show
>> >
>> > Instead of an export menu. Org is up to date git, and I get this even
>> > starting with emacs -Q. I haven't seen a chorus of complaints here, so I
>> > assume it still has to be me, somehow, but does anyone know why this
>> > would be happening? I'm on Ubuntu Natty, running:
>> >
>> > GNU Emacs 23.2.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.4) of 2011-04-04
>> > on rothera, modified by Debian
>> >

>> No issues on
>>
>> GNU Emacs 24.0.50.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.20.1)
>>  of 2011-04-30 on noorul
>>
>> Org-mode version 7.5 (release_7.5.321.g363a)
>>

> Assuming that the problem is still present, a backtrace might help.

It was while trying to produce a backtrace (with edebug) that I
discovered that re-evaluating the code fixed the problem. I set
debug-on-error to t and reproduced the error, which gave me this:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "Cannot return from the debugger in an error")
  internal-temp-output-buffer-show(#<buffer *Org Export/Publishing Help*>)
  org-export(nil)
  call-interactively(org-export nil nil)

Presumably this isn't really what's needed -- can you provide a pointer
to producing a more useful backtrace?

Thanks!
Eric

* Re: export problems
@ 2011-06-03 15:24       ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2011-06-03 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Abrahamsen; +Cc: nicholas.dokos, emacs-orgmode

Eric Abrahamsen <eric@ericabrahamsen.net> wrote:

> It was while trying to produce a backtrace (with edebug) that I
> discovered that re-evaluating the code fixed the problem. I set
> debug-on-error to t and reproduced the error, which gave me this:
>
> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "Cannot return from the debugger in an error")
>   internal-temp-output-buffer-show(#<buffer *Org Export/Publishing Help*>)
>   org-export(nil)
>   call-interactively(org-export nil nil)
>
> Presumably this isn't really what's needed -- can you provide a pointer
> to producing a more useful backtrace?

Only the usual suspects: you are loading uncompiled code I hope? I don't
even have the function in either of my emacsen (24.0.50 and 23.1.1):
does C-h f internal-temp-output-buffer-show RET show anything in yours?

Nick

* Re: export problems
@ 2011-06-03 15:30         ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2011-06-03 15:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Eric Abrahamsen, nicholas.dokos, emacs-orgmode

Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos@hp.com> wrote:

> Eric Abrahamsen <eric@ericabrahamsen.net> wrote:
>
> > It was while trying to produce a backtrace (with edebug) that I
> > discovered that re-evaluating the code fixed the problem. I set
> > debug-on-error to t and reproduced the error, which gave me this:
> >
> > Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "Cannot return from the debugger in an error")
> >   internal-temp-output-buffer-show(#<buffer *Org Export/Publishing Help*>)
> >   org-export(nil)
> >   call-interactively(org-export nil nil)
> >
> > Presumably this isn't really what's needed -- can you provide a pointer
> > to producing a more useful backtrace?
> >

> Only the usual suspects: you are loading uncompiled code I hope? I don't
> even have the function in either of my emacsen (24.0.50 and 23.1.1):
> does C-h f internal-temp-output-buffer-show RET show anything in yours?

Duh - of course not: that's the error you get. Never mind.

Nick

* Re: export problems
@ 2011-06-03 15:55         ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2011-06-03 15:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Eric Abrahamsen, nicholas.dokos, emacs-orgmode, Stefan Monnier

Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos@hp.com> wrote:

> Eric Abrahamsen <eric@ericabrahamsen.net> wrote:
>
> > It was while trying to produce a backtrace (with edebug) that I
> > discovered that re-evaluating the code fixed the problem. I set
> > debug-on-error to t and reproduced the error, which gave me this:
> >
> > Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "Cannot return from the debugger in an error")
> >   internal-temp-output-buffer-show(#<buffer *Org Export/Publishing Help*>)
> >   org-export(nil)
> >   call-interactively(org-export nil nil)
> >
> > Presumably this isn't really what's needed -- can you provide a pointer
> > to producing a more useful backtrace?
> >

> Only the usual suspects: you are loading uncompiled code I hope? I don't
> even have the function in either of my emacsen (24.0.50 and 23.1.1):
> does C-h f internal-temp-output-buffer-show RET show anything in yours?

I see some messages about internal-temp-output-buffer-show when
googling: they seem related to Stefan Monnier's effort to make
with-output-to-temp-buffer a Lisp macro (rather than a special form in C
code, IIUC) - but this seems to be bleeding edge stuff, not 23.2. Are
you perhaps picking up emacs bits and pieces from places you shouldn't?

Maybe Stefan (cc:ed) has some ideas.

Nick

* Re: export problems
@ 2011-06-03 19:41           ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2011-06-03 19:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos@hp.com> writes:

> Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos@hp.com> wrote:
>
>> Eric Abrahamsen <eric@ericabrahamsen.net> wrote:
>>
>> > It was while trying to produce a backtrace (with edebug) that I
>> > discovered that re-evaluating the code fixed the problem. I set
>> > debug-on-error to t and reproduced the error, which gave me this:
>> >
>> > Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "Cannot return from the debugger in an error")
>> >   internal-temp-output-buffer-show(#<buffer *Org Export/Publishing Help*>)
>> >   org-export(nil)
>> >   call-interactively(org-export nil nil)
>> >
>> > Presumably this isn't really what's needed -- can you provide a pointer
>> > to producing a more useful backtrace?
>> >

>> Only the usual suspects: you are loading uncompiled code I hope? I don't
>> even have the function in either of my emacsen (24.0.50 and 23.1.1):
>> does C-h f internal-temp-output-buffer-show RET show anything in yours?
>>

> I see some messages about internal-temp-output-buffer-show when
> googling: they seem related to Stefan Monnier's effort to make
> with-output-to-temp-buffer a Lisp macro (rather than a special form in C
> code, IIUC) - but this seems to be bleeding edge stuff, not 23.2. Are
> you perhaps picking up emacs bits and pieces from places you shouldn't?
>
> Maybe Stefan (cc:ed) has some ideas.
>
> Nick

Aha, I did once try building emacs 24 on this machine, for the heck of
it, and it's still hanging around under /usr/local/bin. I'm not sure how
much work would be required to uproot it entirely, but I can give it a
shot, particularly with the lisp libraries, and see if that makes a
difference.

Thanks for the hint,

Eric

* Re: export problems
@ 2011-06-04  4:07             ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2011-06-04  4:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos@hp.com> writes:
>
>> Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos@hp.com> wrote:

>>> Only the usual suspects: you are loading uncompiled code I hope? I don't
>>> even have the function in either of my emacsen (24.0.50 and 23.1.1):
>>> does C-h f internal-temp-output-buffer-show RET show anything in yours?
>>>

>> I see some messages about internal-temp-output-buffer-show when
>> googling: they seem related to Stefan Monnier's effort to make
>> with-output-to-temp-buffer a Lisp macro (rather than a special form in C
>> code, IIUC) - but this seems to be bleeding edge stuff, not 23.2. Are
>> you perhaps picking up emacs bits and pieces from places you shouldn't?
>>
>> Maybe Stefan (cc:ed) has some ideas.
>>
>> Nick
>
> Aha, I did once try building emacs 24 on this machine, for the heck of
> it, and it's still hanging around under /usr/local/bin. I'm not sure how
> much work would be required to uproot it entirely, but I can give it a
> shot, particularly with the lisp libraries, and see if that makes a
> difference.
>
> Thanks for the hint,
>
> Eric

Nope, pretty sure I got it all out of there, and I'm still getting the
same error, and =with-output-to-temp-buffer= is definitely still a
c-source code function.

I re-installed emacs from the Ubuntu repositories for good measure, to
no avail. If I run emacs -Q so that the org code base that's loaded is
the default, the error disappears. Adding git org to the load path,
reloading org and trying again is enough to make the error return.

Running emacs -Q from the command line produces:

Warning: Lisp directory `/usr/local/share/emacs/23.2/site-lisp' does not exist.
Warning: Lisp directory `/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp' does not exist.

Which I've never seen before, and which seems like a warning sign. I'm
quite prepared to believe that I've somehow got tangled codebases, but I
really don't know where to look next…

Thanks,
Eric

* Re: export problems
@ 2011-06-06 17:58           ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2011-06-06 17:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos@hp.com> writes:

> Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos@hp.com> wrote:
>
>> Eric Abrahamsen <eric@ericabrahamsen.net> wrote:
>>
>> > It was while trying to produce a backtrace (with edebug) that I
>> > discovered that re-evaluating the code fixed the problem. I set
>> > debug-on-error to t and reproduced the error, which gave me this:
>> >
>> > Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "Cannot return from the debugger in an error")
>> >   internal-temp-output-buffer-show(#<buffer *Org Export/Publishing Help*>)
>> >   org-export(nil)
>> >   call-interactively(org-export nil nil)
>> >
>> > Presumably this isn't really what's needed -- can you provide a pointer
>> > to producing a more useful backtrace?
>> >

>> Only the usual suspects: you are loading uncompiled code I hope? I don't
>> even have the function in either of my emacsen (24.0.50 and 23.1.1):
>> does C-h f internal-temp-output-buffer-show RET show anything in yours?
>>

> I see some messages about internal-temp-output-buffer-show when
> googling: they seem related to Stefan Monnier's effort to make
> with-output-to-temp-buffer a Lisp macro (rather than a special form in C
> code, IIUC) - but this seems to be bleeding edge stuff, not 23.2. Are
> you perhaps picking up emacs bits and pieces from places you shouldn't?
>
> Maybe Stefan (cc:ed) has some ideas.
>
> Nick

Grepping for "internal-temp-output-buffer-show" in my org directory
gives me this:

Binary file ./lisp/org.elc matches
Binary file ./lisp/org-bibtex.elc matches
Binary file ./lisp/org-entities.elc matches
Binary file ./lisp/org-exp.elc matches
Binary file ./lisp/org-attach.elc matches
Binary file ./lisp/org-table.elc matches
Binary file ./lisp/org-agenda.elc matches
Binary file ./lisp/org-clock.elc matches

Only compiled files! It makes sense now that re-evaluating the source
code fixes the problems. In the Makefile I changed:

EMACS=emacs

EMACS=/usr/bin/emacs

And after I ran "make all" again everything worked fine. I have no other
"emacs" executables anywhere on my system, so far as I can tell, though
I guess it's inevitable that this is some kind of holdover from my
previous experiments with emacs trunk.

Anyway, problem very close to solved…

Eric