From: Michael Brand <michael.ch.brand@gmail.com>
To: "Alan E. Davis" <lngndvs@gmail.com>, mail@christianmoe.com
Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Audio/video file playback in org mode
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2011 11:34:06 +0200	[thread overview]

Hi Alan and Christian

On Sun, Jun 12, 2011 at 01:55, Alan E. Davis <lngndvs@gmail.com> wrote:
> The main point of this
> was to play videos asynchronously, so I could continue editing, taking notes
> using the relative timer of org-mode.

Thank you for this cool idea.

On Sun, Jun 12, 2011 at 10:23, Christian Moe <mail@christianmoe.com> wrote:
On Sun, Jun 12, 2011 at 01:55, Alan E. Davis <lngndvs@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Two more things would make this process work better, at least for me:
>>
>>    1. write a few lines into this that would open another buffer,
>> possibly through capture, starting the relative timer automagically.
>>    2. figure out how to pause the video and the timer simultaneously.
>
> As it happens, I've been sitting on some code to do just that, meaning to
> post it when I got all the bugs out. Which, needless to say, I haven't. But
> I'll clean it up and post to this thread shortly, since it's a hot topic.

Only as a collection of ideas: Even better if the Org relative timer
would not start/stop by user interaction and count the time on its own
but if the Org relative timer in this case would "only" just be
replaced by reading the current play time from the media player
through the same mechanisms that already update the current play time
for display in Emacs. Then the note taking time would also stay in
sync with fast forward and rewind. Useful e. g. when searching a
certain time in a paused audio file that loops in place. And if the
point in the note taking buffer would even move up and down - when
enabled - when an already taken note is passed by time from fast
forward or rewind this would be neat.

Michael