* beamer export questions
@ 2011-05-24 19:48 John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2011-05-24 19:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I've fiddled with org-mode and beamer before successfully, but it's been a
while. I'm having a few issues i don't understand.

This is currently my header:
---
#+DATE:      2011-05-25
#+startup: beamer
#+LaTeX_CLASS: beamer
#+BEAMER_FRAME_LEVEL: 2
#+latex_header: \usepackage{lmodern}
---

Is there any way to get the generated index on the right to include the
frames themselves? This is just a simple presentation for a meeting --
basically, i just exported my outline for the meeting to beamer so I'll have
something to show, and then I'll take notes in the same org file itself as
we discuss. It's like so:

---
* top headline (only because
** agenda
** updates
** roles and responsibilities
** open discussion
---

When I export, the outline only includes the top headline. Not a big deal; I
basically just re-created what i want via my agenda slide. Also, the index
on the left only lists the top slide.

While I understand that for longer presentations where you have many "top
level" sections, you might want the index/TOC to only contain those major
sections, for this type of application where one doesn't need more than two
levels deep, it would be nice to at least have the option to make the TOC
list everything (even omitting the top level heirarchically since it's silly
to have it shown in this case).

I tried just using all top level headlines, but then I can't seem to get the
TOC to show up at all, even with options H:1 and toc:1 (and verifying that
\setcounter{tocdepth}{1} is in the .tex file).

Any suggestions/pointers as to what I'm doing wrong? My goal would be:
- index where all frames are shown
- a TOC where all frames are listed

Thanks,
John

* Re: beamer export questions
@ 2011-05-24 21:15 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2011-05-24 21:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Hendy; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>

> I've fiddled with org-mode and beamer before successfully, but it's been a
> while. I'm having a few issues i don't understand.
>
> This is currently my header:
> ---
> #+DATE:      2011-05-25
> #+startup: beamer
> #+LaTeX_CLASS: beamer
> #+BEAMER_FRAME_LEVEL: 2
> #+latex_header: \usepackage{lmodern}
> ---
>
> Is there any way to get the generated index on the right to include the
> frames themselves? This is just a simple presentation for a meeting --
> basically, i just exported my outline for the meeting to beamer so I'll have
> something to show, and then I'll take notes in the same org file itself as
> we discuss. It's like so:

If I understand you correctly, this has more to do with the beamer theme
you use than anything org does or can actually do!

Org does nothing more than translate (given your BEAMER_FRAME_LEVEL
setting) top level headings to latex sections and second level headings
to frames.  Interpreting sections and frames is up to the beamer theme.
Some will indeed display frame titles, IRC, but it's not something I've
ever done/needed/wanted!

What beamer theme are you using?  Have you tried any others?  Check out
the beamer manual and the web pages for alternatives.

HTH,
eric

--
: Eric S Fraga (GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D) in Emacs 24.0.50.1
: using Org-mode version 7.5 (release_7.5.299.gb638.dirty)

* Re: beamer export questions
@ 2011-05-24 22:46   ` suvayu ali
From: suvayu ali @ 2011-05-24 22:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Hendy, emacs-orgmode

On Tue, May 24, 2011 at 2:15 PM, Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> wrote:
> What beamer theme are you using?  Have you tried any others?  Check out
> the beamer manual and the web pages for alternatives.

This might be of help.

http://www.hartwork.org/beamer-theme-matrix/

--
Suvayu