* export options toc:t depends on num:t
@ 2011-04-06  3:04 John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2011-04-06  3:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

Maybe this is obvious to most, but I was puzzled by it. It seems that
,---
`---

will not function when paired with:
,---
`---

I didn't know that. I say that perhaps it's obvious, because I guess
when the toc does show up, it's format is:
,---
| 1   Section 1      pg#
| 2   Section 2      pg#
`---

But I wouldn't think it would be impossible to just have:

,---
| Section 1      pg#
| Section 2      pg#
`---

Anyway, if these two are necessary, perhaps the manual could be
updated (http://orgmode.org/manual/Export-options.html#Export-options):
,---
| toc:       turn on/off table of contents, or set level limit
(integer); requires num:t or no setting (t is default for num)
`---

Or something to that effect.

John

* Re: export options toc:t depends on num:t
@ 2011-04-06  4:48 ` Jambunathan K
From: Jambunathan K @ 2011-04-06  4:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Hendy; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>

> Maybe this is obvious to most, but I was puzzled by it. It seems that
> ,---
> `---
>
> will not function when paired with:
> ,---
> `---

> Anyway, if these two are necessary, perhaps the manual could be
> updated (http://orgmode.org/manual/Export-options.html#Export-options):
> ,---
> | toc:       turn on/off table of contents, or set level limit
> (integer); requires num:t or no setting (t is default for num)
> `---
>
> Or something to that effect.

Is this a LaTeX specific behaviour? I don't see anything odd with HTML
export.

Jambunathan K.

* Re: Re: export options toc:t depends on num:t
@ 2011-04-06  9:20   ` Aankhen
From: Aankhen @ 2011-04-06  9:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jambunathan K, John Hendy, emacs-orgmode

On Wed, Apr 6, 2011 at 10:18, Jambunathan K <kjambunathan@gmail.com> wrote:
> John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com> writes:
> [snip]
>> Maybe this is obvious to most, but I was puzzled by it. It seems that
>> ,---
>> `---
>>
>> will not function when paired with:
>> ,---
>> `---
> [snip]
>
> Is this a LaTeX specific behaviour? I don't see anything odd with HTML
> export.

It likely is specific to LaTeX.  The starred versions of the
sectioning commands suppress the entry in the TOC as well.  It’s
possible to manually add the entry regardless, so maybe that needs to
be special-cased in the exporter.  It’d look like this:

,----
| \phantomsection                 % to make PDF bookmarks work properly
| \section*{Introduction}
| \addcontentsline{toc}{section}{Introduction}
`----

Alternatively, use the regular sectioning commands but add this before
\begin{document}:

,----
| \setcounter{secnumdepth}{0}
`----

Aankhen

* Re: Re: export options toc:t depends on num:t
@ 2011-04-06 16:36     ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2011-04-06 16:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aankhen; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Jambunathan K

On Wed, Apr 6, 2011 at 4:20 AM, Aankhen <aankhen@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 6, 2011 at 10:18, Jambunathan K <kjambunathan@gmail.com> wrote:
>> John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com> writes:
>> [snip]
>>> Maybe this is obvious to most, but I was puzzled by it. It seems that
>>> ,---
>>> `---
>>>
>>> will not function when paired with:
>>> ,---
>>> `---
>> [snip]
>>
>> Is this a LaTeX specific behaviour? I don't see anything odd with HTML
>> export.
>
> It likely is specific to LaTeX.  The starred versions of the
> sectioning commands suppress the entry in the TOC as well.  It’s
> possible to manually add the entry regardless, so maybe that needs to
> be special-cased in the exporter.  It’d look like this:
>
> ,----
> | \phantomsection                 % to make PDF bookmarks work properly
> | \section*{Introduction}
> | \addcontentsline{toc}{section}{Introduction}
> `----
>
> Alternatively, use the regular sectioning commands but add this before
> \begin{document}:
>
> ,----
> | \setcounter{secnumdepth}{0}
> `----

This works great and is easy to implement. Thanks!

John