* Collapse LaTeX source before start of main document?
@ 2011-05-04 15:36 Chris Malone
From: Chris Malone @ 2011-05-04 15:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi All,

I'm working on using org mode for my PhD thesis.  I'd like to do this in one
large file where each headline is a single chapter.  Naturally in a thesis
there needs to be a lot of front matter: title page, abstract, signature
page, etc.  Right now, I'm doing this with something like:

#+begin_latex

\doublespacing

\pagenumbering{roman}

\maketitle

\makeapproval

\begin{abstract}

     blah blah blah....

\end{abstract}

\tableofcontents

\pagestyle{thesis}

\newpage

\pagenumbering{arabic}

#+end_latex

* Test Chapter 1
This is a test.

When I include the actual contents of my abstract, this preliminary material
section (the #+begin ... #+end block) is rather large.  I'd like to be able
to put this material into a headline so that I could collapse it - but I
don't want this headline exported as content of the main document.

In other words, is there a property or tag that I can add to a headline that
causes LaTeX export to ignore the fact that it is a headline (i.e. \chapter,
\section, \subsection, etc.), but still export its contents?  Something
like:

* This is just preliminary material             :prelim:
#+begin_latex

\doublespacing

\pagenumbering{roman}

\maketitle

\makeapproval

\begin{abstract}

     blah blah blah....

\end{abstract}

\tableofcontents

\pagestyle{thesis}

\newpage

\pagenumbering{arabic}

#+end_latex

* Test Chapter 1
This is a test.

Chris

* Re: Collapse LaTeX source before start of main document?
@ 2011-05-04 16:18 ` Matt Lundin
From: Matt Lundin @ 2011-05-04 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Malone; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Chris Malone <chris.m.malone@gmail.com> writes:

(Note: When using gmail, please adjust the settings to send your
messages as plain text only instead of multipart/alternative.)

> When I include the actual contents of my abstract, this preliminary material
> section (the #+begin ... #+end block) is rather large.  I'd like to be able
> to put this material into a headline so that I could collapse it - but I
> don't want this headline exported as content of the main document.
>
> In other words, is there a property or tag that I can add to a headline that
> causes LaTeX export to ignore the fact that it is a headline (i.e. \chapter,
> \section, \subsection, etc.), but still export its contents?  Something
> like:

You could add a hook to remove headlines with a "prelim" tag:

(defun my-org-export-remove-tagged-headlines (tag)
  (save-excursion
    (goto-char (point-min))
    (while (re-search-forward (concat ":" tag ":") nil t)
      (delete-region (point-at-bol) (point-at-eol)))))

(add-hook 'org-export-preprocess-hook (lambda () (my-org-export-remove-tagged-headlines "prelim")))

Best,
Matt

* Re: Collapse LaTeX source before start of main document?
@ 2011-05-04 18:05   ` Chris Malone
From: Chris Malone @ 2011-05-04 18:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Lundin; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Matt,

Sorry for the non-plain text...

I added your suggestion to my .emacs but upon export it removed the
entire block, which is odd based on the source code for the
function...

Anyway, I found another solution that now seems obvious: the
#+begin...#+end blocks themselves can be folded by either hitting TAB
on the #+begin line, or by setting the =org-hide-block-startup=
variable.

Chris

@ 2011-05-04 22:23     ` Matt Lundin
From: Matt Lundin @ 2011-05-04 22:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Malone; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Chris Malone <chris.m.malone@gmail.com> writes:

> I added your suggestion to my .emacs but upon export it removed the
> entire block, which is odd based on the source code for the
> function...

Hmm... That's not my experience.

When I export the following file...

* Preliminary material						     :prelim:

Some preliminary material

* Point one

Text in point one

* Point two							     :prelim:

Text in point two.

* Point three

Text in point three.

The resulting html looks like this (rendered in w3m)...

Some preliminary material

Table of Contents

  * 1 Point one
  * 2 Point three

1 Point one

Text in point one

Text in point two.

2 Point three

Text in point three.

Date: 2011-05-04 18:22:09 EDT

Author: Matt Lundin

Org version 7.5 with Emacs version 24

Validate XHTML 1.0

Best,
Matt

* Re: Collapse LaTeX source before start of main document?
@ 2011-05-04 22:25 ` Suvayu Ali
From: Suvayu Ali @ 2011-05-04 22:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Chris,

I just finished writing my master's thesis in org-mode.

On Wed, 4 May 2011 11:36:58 -0400
Chris Malone <chris.m.malone@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm working on using org mode for my PhD thesis.  I'd like to do this
> in one large file where each headline is a single chapter.  Naturally
> in a thesis there needs to be a lot of front matter: title page,
> abstract, signature page, etc.  Right now, I'm doing this with
> something like:

For all formatting stuff, I just used

#+LaTeX_HEADER: \whatever{}
#+LaTeX_HEADER: \usepackage{universitystyle}

For my abstract I used

#+LaTeX_HEADER: \include{abstract}

where abstract.tex is a simple tex file with something like:

\abstract{ My abstract }

If you wish to include this inside the \begin{document}..\end{document}
block then you can use the same latex snippet but without
the "#+LaTeX_HEADER:".

I hope this helps and good luck with the thesis. :)

--
Suvayu

* Re: Collapse LaTeX source before start of main document?
@ 2011-05-05 14:23   ` Chris Malone
From: Chris Malone @ 2011-05-05 14:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Suvayu Ali; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Matt and Suvayu,

@Matt: I can get your example to work fine for html export, but not
LaTeX export where the entire contents of the headline are removed as
well.  =org-version=:  7.5 (release_7.5.105.g8d0c) if that makes any
difference.

@Suvayu: Thanks for the suggestion.  That is essentially what I am
doing now with the #+LaTeX_HEADER lines, but the problem is that I
have a bunch of things which must follow the \begin{document} in
LaTeX.  I know I could put this in a separate file and just \input{}
it; I wanted to see if there was a way to keep everything together in
a single file, but also have the ability to fold this preliminary
stuff.

Chris

@ 2011-05-05 14:46     ` Suvayu Ali
From: Suvayu Ali @ 2011-05-05 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Malone; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Chris,

On Thu, 5 May 2011 10:23:50 -0400
Chris Malone <chris.m.malone@gmail.com> wrote:

> @Suvayu: Thanks for the suggestion.  That is essentially what I am
> doing now with the #+LaTeX_HEADER lines, but the problem is that I
> have a bunch of things which must follow the \begin{document} in
> LaTeX.  I know I could put this in a separate file and just \input{}
> it; I wanted to see if there was a way to keep everything together in
> a single file, but also have the ability to fold this preliminary
> stuff.

In the last few months I realised it is rather difficult with export
of org files if you deviate from the "everything is an outline
paradigm". The only effective way around the problem seems to be
including from separate files, either org or tex files (for latex
export).

For example for my appendix and bibliography I use the following:

#+INCLUDE: thesis-appendix.org :minlevel 1

\backmatter
\newpage
\addcontentsline{toc}{chapter}{\bibname}

\bibliographystyle{plain}
\bibliography{master}

where thesis-appendix.org looks something like:

\appendix
\appendixpage
\addappheadtotoc

* First appendix

* Second appendix

I wish there was a cleaner solution too. :-/

--
Suvayu

* Re: Collapse LaTeX source before start of main document?
@ 2011-05-05 15:37       ` Chris Malone
From: Chris Malone @ 2011-05-05 15:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Suvayu Ali; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Suvayu,

Thanks for sharing your use case - I'm interested in a few more details:

> For example for my appendix and bibliography I use the following:
>
> #+INCLUDE: thesis-appendix.org :minlevel 1
>
> \backmatter
> \newpage
> \addcontentsline{toc}{chapter}{\bibname}
>
> \bibliographystyle{plain}
> \bibliography{master}
>
> where thesis-appendix.org looks something like:
>
> \appendix
> \appendixpage
> \addappheadtotoc
>
> * First appendix
>
> * Second appendix

Would this #+INCLUDE line come within the last chapter headline?  In
other words did you have something like

#+INCLUDE: frontmatter.org
* Chapter 1
* Chapter 2
* Last Chapter
#+INCLUDE: thesis-appendix.org :minlevel 1
.
.
.
\bibliography{master}

With this, it seems that all of the appendix/backmatter gets folded
into the last chapter heading.  That is sort of the way I'm thinking
of working my thesis, but it seems sub-optimal.

@ 2011-05-05 17:37         ` Suvayu Ali
From: Suvayu Ali @ 2011-05-05 17:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Malone; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello Chris,

Sorry for the delay, had to attend a meeting.

On Thu, 5 May 2011 11:37:41 -0400
Chris Malone <chris.m.malone@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Suvayu,
>
> Thanks for sharing your use case - I'm interested in a few more
> details:
>
> > For example for my appendix and bibliography I use the following:
> >
> > #+INCLUDE: thesis-appendix.org :minlevel 1

[...]

> Would this #+INCLUDE line come within the last chapter headline?  In
> other words did you have something like
>
> #+INCLUDE: frontmatter.org
> * Chapter 1
> * Chapter 2
> * Last Chapter
> #+INCLUDE: thesis-appendix.org :minlevel 1
> .
> .
> .
> \bibliography{master}
>
> With this, it seems that all of the appendix/backmatter gets folded
> into the last chapter heading.  That is sort of the way I'm thinking
> of working my thesis, but it seems sub-optimal.

Yes that is correct. It folds into the last chapter, and I too find this
sub-optimal. If there was a way to specify certain headlines were
"special" and needed to be exported according to the sub-tree
properties, that would be ideal. Although I haven't looked into it, I'm
afraid it would require some lisp intervention.

That said, I just found a possible workaround. If you put the appendix
and bibliography and friends under the Footnotes headline, it somewhat
replicates the behaviour I would like to have. Something like this:

* Footnotes

[fn:1] footnote 1
[fn:2] footnote 2

#+INCLUDE: thesis-appendix.org :minlevel 1

#+LaTeX: \backmatter
#+LaTeX: \newpage
#+LaTeX: \addcontentsline{toc}{chapter}{\bibname}

#+LaTeX: \bibliographystyle{plain}
#+LaTeX: \bibliography{master}

After my thesis defence I might actually get around to attempting to
deal with this in lisp. Would be a good learning excercise. :)

--
Suvayu

* Re: Collapse LaTeX source before start of main document?
@ 2011-05-05 17:45           ` chris.m.malone
From: chris.m.malone @ 2011-05-05 17:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Suvayu Ali; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Suvayu,

I think Matt's lisp code /should/ work for doing exactly what we are
talking about, but for some reason I can't get it to work with LaTeX export.

Anyway, good luck on your defense!

Chris

@ 2011-05-05 18:02             ` Suvayu Ali
From: Suvayu Ali @ 2011-05-05 18:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: chris.m.malone; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Thu, 05 May 2011 17:45:13 +0000
chris.m.malone@gmail.com wrote:

> Hi Suvayu,
>
> I think Matt's lisp code /should/ work for doing exactly what we are
> talking about, but for some reason I can't get it to work with LaTeX
> export.

I just tried Matt's code, worked very smoothly for me. :)

> Anyway, good luck on your defense!

Thank you.

--
Suvayu

* Re: Collapse LaTeX source before start of main document?
@ 2011-05-06 12:34     ` Matt Lundin
From: Matt Lundin @ 2011-05-06 12:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Malone; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Chris Malone <chris.m.malone@gmail.com> writes:

> @Matt: I can get your example to work fine for html export, but not
> LaTeX export where the entire contents of the headline are removed as
> well.  =org-version=:  7.5 (release_7.5.105.g8d0c) if that makes any
> difference.

Hmm... I have no idea why the LaTeX backend is removing the content of
that headline as well, as it survives in all other backends.

Best,
Matt

* Re: Collapse LaTeX source before start of main document?
@ 2011-05-06 15:41               ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2011-05-06 15:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Suvayu Ali; +Cc: chris.m.malone, emacs-orgmode

Suvayu Ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com> writes:

> On Thu, 05 May 2011 17:45:13 +0000
> chris.m.malone@gmail.com wrote:
>
>> Hi Suvayu,
>>
>> I think Matt's lisp code /should/ work for doing exactly what we are
>> talking about, but for some reason I can't get it to work with LaTeX
>> export.
>>

> I just tried Matt's code, worked very smoothly for me. :)

This is strange.  I have tried it just now and it fails for me for a
very simple case.  It works for html and not for latex.  The same bol and
eol values are found in either case (which is as it should be, of
course).

It works, however, if there is at least one headline *before* the one to
be omitted, one that will not be omitted; if the omitted one is the
first headline, the whole block is gone.  Strange.

--
: Eric S Fraga (GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D) in Emacs 24.0.50.1
: using Org-mode version 7.5 (release_7.5.258.ga173)

* Re: Collapse LaTeX source before start of main document?
@ 2011-05-06 17:04                 ` Suvayu Ali
From: Suvayu Ali @ 2011-05-06 17:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric S Fraga; +Cc: chris.m.malone, emacs-orgmode

On Fri, 06 May 2011 16:41:19 +0100
Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> wrote:

> It works, however, if there is at least one headline *before* the one
> to be omitted, one that will not be omitted; if the omitted one is the
> first headline, the whole block is gone.  Strange.

I can confirm this, when I had tried this it I was ignoring only
headlines at the end. Ignoring the first headline behaves as you and
Chris describe.

--
Suvayu

* Re: Collapse LaTeX source before start of main document?
@ 2012-09-27  9:07       ` Renier Marchand
From: Renier Marchand @ 2012-09-27  9:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Matt Lundin <mdl <at> imapmail.org> writes:

> Chris Malone <chris.m.malone <at> gmail.com> writes:
> >
> > I added your suggestion to my .emacs but upon export it removed the
> > entire block, which is odd based on the source code for the
> > function...
>
> Hmm... That's not my experience.
>
> When I export the following file...

> * Preliminary material
:prelim:

> Some preliminary material
>
> * Point one
>
> Text in point one
>
> * Point two							     :prelim:
>
> Text in point two.
>
> * Point three
>
> Text in point three.
>
> The resulting html looks like this (rendered in w3m)...

> Some preliminary material
>
> Table of Contents
>
>   * 1 Point one
>   * 2 Point three
>
> 1 Point one
>
> Text in point one
>
> Text in point two.
>
> 2 Point three
>
> Text in point three.
>
> Date: 2011-05-04 18:22:09 EDT
>
> Author: Matt Lundin
>
> Org version 7.5 with Emacs version 24
>
> Validate XHTML 1.0
>
> Best,
> Matt

It seems that the reason this does not work for Chris Malone is that if the
heading tagged with :prelim: is preceded with a heading tagged with :noexport:
then the content of the prelim section is in effect not exported.

For this example

* My setup							   :noexport:
  Some org-mode setup commands that should not be exported
* Preliminary material						     :prelim:

Some preliminary material

* Point one

Text in point one

* Point two							     :prelim:

Text in point two.

* Point three

Text in point three.

The following is exported

Table of Contents

1 Point one
2 Point three
1 Point one

Text in point one

Text in point two.

2 Point three

Text in point three.

Date: 2012-09-27 11:04:36 SAST

Author: Renier Marchand

Org version 7.6 with Emacs version 23

Validate XHTML 1.0

Note the absence of the text before the table of contents.

Hope this clears it up
Renier

* Re: Collapse LaTeX source before start of main document?
@ 2012-09-27 15:33         ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2012-09-27 15:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Renier Marchand; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Renier Marchand <renierm@gmail.com> wrote:

> It seems that the reason this does not work for Chris Malone is that if the
> heading tagged with :prelim: is preceded with a heading tagged with :noexport:
> then the content of the prelim section is in effect not exported.
>
> For this example
>
> * My setup							   :noexport:
>   Some org-mode setup commands that should not be exported
> * Preliminary material						     :prelim:
>
> Some preliminary material
>
> * Point one
>
> Text in point one
>
> * Point two							     :prelim:
>
> Text in point two.
>
> * Point three
>
> Text in point three.
>
> The following is exported
>
> Table of Contents
>
> 1 Point one
> 2 Point three
> 1 Point one
>
> Text in point one
>
> Text in point two.
>
> 2 Point three
>
> Text in point three.
>
> Date: 2012-09-27 11:04:36 SAST
>
> Author: Renier Marchand
>
> Org version 7.6 with Emacs version 23
>
> Validate XHTML 1.0
>
> Note the absence of the text before the table of contents.

I can't reproduce this. I get correct behavior in all cases I've tried:
with both the old and the new exporter, html, latex and ascii.

What version of org are you using?

Mine is

Org-mode version 7.9.1 (release_7.9.1-348-gea7baa @ /home/nick/elisp/org-mode/lisp/)

Nick

* Re: Collapse LaTeX source before start of main document?
@ 2014-06-06 17:03   ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2014-06-06 17:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Lundin; +Cc: Chris Malone, emacs-orgmode

Matt Lundin <mdl@imapmail.org> writes:

> Chris Malone <chris.m.malone@gmail.com> writes:
>
> (Note: When using gmail, please adjust the settings to send your
> messages as plain text only instead of multipart/alternative.)
>
>> When I include the actual contents of my abstract, this preliminary material
>> section (the #+begin ... #+end block) is rather large.  I'd like to be able
>> to put this material into a headline so that I could collapse it - but I
>> don't want this headline exported as content of the main document.
>>
>> In other words, is there a property or tag that I can add to a headline that
>> causes LaTeX export to ignore the fact that it is a headline (i.e. \chapter,
>> \section, \subsection, etc.), but still export its contents?  Something
>> like:
>
> You could add a hook to remove headlines with a "prelim" tag:

> (defun my-org-export-remove-tagged-headlines (tag)
>   (save-excursion
>     (goto-char (point-min))
>     (while (re-search-forward (concat ":" tag ":") nil t)
>       (delete-region (point-at-bol) (point-at-eol)))))
>
> (add-hook 'org-export-preprocess-hook (lambda () (my-org-export-remove-tagged-headlines "prelim")))

I found the very useful but sadly outdated snippet from 2011.  If anyone
is interested, the following snippet implements the same functionality
within the new export framework.

(defun org-export-remove-prelim-headlines (tree backend info)
  "Remove headlines tagged \"prelim\" while retaining their
contents before any export processing."
  (org-element-map tree org-element-all-elements
    (lambda (object)
      (when (and (equal 'headline (org-element-type object))
                 (member "prelim" (org-element-property :tags object)))
        (mapc (lambda (el)
                (let ((new-object
                       (if (equal 'headline (org-element-type el))
                           (org-element-put-property el
                             :level (1- (org-element-property :level el)))
                         el)))
                  (message "%s level %s"
                           (org-element-property :raw-value new-object)
                           (org-element-property :level new-object))
                  (org-element-insert-before new-object object)))
              (cddr object))
        (org-element-extract-element object)))
    info nil org-element-all-elements)
  tree)

(add-hook 'org-export-filter-parse-tree-functions
          'org-export-remove-prelim-headlines)

In addition it promotes all headlines under the removed "prelim"-tagged
headline.  This is useful to support structures like the following.

* Appendix                                                           :prelim:
#+LaTeX: \begin{appendices}
** Definitions
** Data Sets
** Tooling
#+LaTeX: \end{appendices}

Best,

--
Eric Schulte
https://cs.unm.edu/~eschulte

* Re: Collapse LaTeX source before start of main document?
@ 2014-06-07 19:48     ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2014-06-07 19:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Lundin; +Cc: Chris Malone, emacs-orgmode

Eric Schulte <schulte.eric@gmail.com> writes:

> Matt Lundin <mdl@imapmail.org> writes:
>
>> Chris Malone <chris.m.malone@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>> (Note: When using gmail, please adjust the settings to send your
>> messages as plain text only instead of multipart/alternative.)
>>
>>> When I include the actual contents of my abstract, this preliminary material
>>> section (the #+begin ... #+end block) is rather large.  I'd like to be able
>>> to put this material into a headline so that I could collapse it - but I
>>> don't want this headline exported as content of the main document.
>>>
>>> In other words, is there a property or tag that I can add to a headline that
>>> causes LaTeX export to ignore the fact that it is a headline (i.e. \chapter,
>>> \section, \subsection, etc.), but still export its contents?  Something
>>> like:
>>
>> You could add a hook to remove headlines with a "prelim" tag:

>> (defun my-org-export-remove-tagged-headlines (tag)
>>   (save-excursion
>>     (goto-char (point-min))
>>     (while (re-search-forward (concat ":" tag ":") nil t)
>>       (delete-region (point-at-bol) (point-at-eol)))))
>>
>> (add-hook 'org-export-preprocess-hook (lambda () (my-org-export-remove-tagged-headlines "prelim")))
>>

> I found the very useful but sadly outdated snippet from 2011.  If anyone
> is interested, the following snippet implements the same functionality
> within the new export framework.

> (defun org-export-remove-prelim-headlines (tree backend info)
>   "Remove headlines tagged \"prelim\" while retaining their
> contents before any export processing."
>   (org-element-map tree org-element-all-elements
>     (lambda (object)
>       (when (and (equal 'headline (org-element-type object))
>                  (member "prelim" (org-element-property :tags object)))
>         (mapc (lambda (el)
>                 (let ((new-object
>                        (if (equal 'headline (org-element-type el))
>                            (org-element-put-property el
>                              :level (1- (org-element-property :level el)))
>                          el)))
>                   (message "%s level %s"
>                            (org-element-property :raw-value new-object)
>                            (org-element-property :level new-object))
>                   (org-element-insert-before new-object object)))
>               (cddr object))
>         (org-element-extract-element object)))
>     info nil org-element-all-elements)
>   tree)
>
> (add-hook 'org-export-filter-parse-tree-functions
>           'org-export-remove-prelim-headlines)

The following is a slightly improved implementation of the above.
(defun org-export-remove-prelim-headlines (tree backend info)
  "Remove headlines tagged \"prelim\" while retaining their
contents before any export processing."
  (org-element-map tree org-element-all-elements
    (lambda (object)
      (when (and (equal 'headline (org-element-type object))
                 (member "prelim" (org-element-property :tags object)))
        (mapc (lambda (el)
                ;; recursively promote all nested headlines
                (org-element-map el 'headline
                  (lambda (el)
                    (when (equal 'headline (org-element-type el))
                      (org-element-put-property el
                        :level (1- (org-element-property :level el))))))
                (org-element-insert-before el object))