* Using orgmode to take "inline notes" for research
@ 2011-04-06  2:02 John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2011-04-06  2:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

One thing I really like to use orgmode for is research. Lately,
there's a mass of stuff on-line that I've been reading though and am
about to start reading through a series of articles and had the idea
to yank them into org for "inline notes."

My current experiment has been:
- wget the website page
- run a custom script of simple sed stuff to get the major stuff
converted (<i> & </i> -> /, &quote; -> ", etc.)
- turn things into headlines where applicable
- manually tweak the rest

What I'd like to do is find some way to take notes in the article and
would like some suggestions from anyone who's done this. On one hand,
I see the idea of keeping a separate headline for notes, and for a
series of articles, my file might look like this:
,---
| * Article 1
| ** Notes on article 1
| * Article 2
| ** Notes on article 2
`---

One advantage to this is that I could very easily add :noexport: to my
notes and print off a hard copy of the article if I want it, and it
would also be easy to tag my notes :notes: and then replace-string to
turn the Article :export: into :noexport: and :notes: into :export:.
Then I'd have an easy to print copy of my notes for each article.

On the other hand, I like quoting when I use notes, and could see it
as advantageous to have something like:
,---
| * Article 1
| It goes along and says x, y, and z.
| --- Me: that's interesting and here are my thoughts.
|
| It continues along saying all kinds of other things and my comments
are interjected whenever I want.
`---

I think that might be more useful for studying things later, as I get
to see an "annotated" version with my thoughts at the time I read it.
What it *doesn't* allow for is the easy printing of both the article
and the notes separately if I want.

Would someone suggest a way that I might be able to have the best of
both worlds? Some of my own not-at-all-hashed-out-ideas included:
- using footnotes since org has easy ways to jump from one to another,
but this would be tough when it came to actual footnotes, which there
will definitely be plenty of.

- highlighting the text I want to quote and then using refile somehow
to send it off to my notes section with my comments. This would be
cool if I could, at the same time, add an org-mode link to and from
the notes and original section, but also if I could turn that link off
when I export to PDF so I don't have hypertext to a non-existent link
if I don't export my notes as well.

Part of the reason that keeping notes/article separate is that I have
others interested in the articles and, if I need to send them a copy,
I want to get my junk out of there and have the original. I suppose I
could just keep two copies, though?

I think this idea could be useful to others and actually wouldn't
doubt if someone has an awesome setup for something like this already.

Thanks for any suggestions!
John

* Re: Using orgmode to take "inline notes" for research
@ 2011-04-06  3:21 ` Jeff Horn
From: Jeff Horn @ 2011-04-06  3:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Hendy; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Have you tried using org-inline-task without a TODO keyword? These
super-deep "headlines" aren't treated as headlines, so they don't
break doc structure, but they are foldable, and unlike COMMENT keyword
headlines, they're printable. The only problem I've run into is have a
lot to say in an inline note. In that case, one could just insert
plaintext between the pseudo-headings of the inline note (try it to
see what I mean). I haven't tried printing these long notes, but I
imagine it would work.

--
Jeffrey Horn
http://www.failuretorefrain.com/jeff/

* Re: Using orgmode to take "inline notes" for research
@ 2011-04-06  3:32 ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2011-04-06  3:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Hendy; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi John,

Interesting use case, I definitely see the utility.  I think that blocks
may be an appropriate solution, for example if you enclose your notes in
"notes" blocks, then it should be easy to control whether or not they
are exported...

Using the following code, you can control whether notes enclosed in
"notes" blcks will be exported by changing the value of the
*export-my-notes* variable, when it is nil your notes will not be
exported, when t they will be exported as quoted text.

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
  (defvar *export-my-notes* nil)

  (defun org-exp-block-process-notes (body &rest headers)
    (if *export-my-notes*
        (format "\n#+begin_quote\n%s\n#+end_quote\n" body)
        ""))

  (org-export-blocks-add-block '(notes org-exp-block-process-notes nil))
#+end_src

Hope this Helps -- Eric

This works for me with the attached Org-mode file.

[-- Attachment #2: something-with-notes.org --]
[-- Type: text/org, Size: 951 bytes --]

* top
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do
eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enimad
minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut
aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in
reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla
pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in
culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

#+begin_notes
  eric's notes on lorem
#+end_notes

--
Eric Schulte
http://cs.unm.edu/~eschulte/

* Re: Using orgmode to take "inline notes" for research
@ 2011-04-06  3:52 Rustom Mody
From: Rustom Mody @ 2011-04-06  3:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Jeff Horn wrote
> Have you tried using org-inline-task without a TODO keyword? These super-deep "headlines" aren't
> treated as headlines, so they don't break doc structure, but they are foldable, and unlike COMMENT keyword headlines,
> they're printable. The only problem I've run into is have a lot to say in an inline note. In that case, one could just insert plaintext
> between the pseudo-headings of the inline note (try it to see what I mean).
> I haven't tried printing these long notes, but I imagine it would work.

My org-modules seems to have org-inlinetask
But I dont seem to see any of these variables available in my emacs

emacs version 23
org version 7.5

* Re: Using orgmode to take "inline notes" for research
@ 2011-04-06  4:10   ` Erik Iverson
From: Erik Iverson @ 2011-04-06  4:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Schulte; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

If you export to HTML, you should be able to export your notes with a CSS class
to style your notes as differently from the text as you like.

@ 2011-04-06  5:02     ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2011-04-06  5:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Erik Iverson; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Erik Iverson <eriki@ccbr.umn.edu> writes:

> If you export to HTML, you should be able to export your notes with a
> CSS class to style your notes as differently from the text as you
> like.

I like the following for offsetting quotes, may work well for notes...

#+begin_src css
  blockquote {
    border-left: 1px solid gray;
    padding-left: 4px; }
#+end_src

--
Eric Schulte
http://cs.unm.edu/~eschulte/

* Re: Using orgmode to take "inline notes" for research
@ 2011-04-06 10:33   ` Sébastien Vauban
From: Sébastien Vauban @ 2011-04-06 10:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Hi Jeff,

Jeff Horn wrote:
> Have you tried using org-inline-task without a TODO keyword? These
> super-deep "headlines" aren't treated as headlines, so they don't
> break doc structure, but they are foldable, and unlike COMMENT keyword
> headlines, they're printable.

I second this approach, and add the following: you can tag the "inline tasks"
as well, and doing so, choose to export them or not, on a wish-basis.

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sébastien Vauban

* Re: Using orgmode to take "inline notes" for research
@ 2011-04-06 16:09   ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2011-04-06 16:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Schulte; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

2011/4/5 Eric Schulte <schulte.eric@gmail.com>:
> Hi John,
>
> Interesting use case, I definitely see the utility.  I think that blocks
> may be an appropriate solution, for example if you enclose your notes in
> "notes" blocks, then it should be easy to control whether or not they
> are exported...

Definitely a candidate! Of all things, I had not thought about using
blocks for this.

> Using the following code, you can control whether notes enclosed in
> "notes" blcks will be exported by changing the value of the
> *export-my-notes* variable, when it is nil your notes will not be
> exported, when t they will be exported as quoted text.
>
> #+begin_src emacs-lisp
>  (defvar *export-my-notes* nil)
>
>  (defun org-exp-block-process-notes (body &rest headers)
>    (if *export-my-notes*
>        (format "\n#+begin_quote\n%s\n#+end_quote\n" body)
>        ""))
>
>  (org-export-blocks-add-block '(notes org-exp-block-process-notes nil))
> #+end_src

So, do I put my notes between the end of the (defun org-exp...) and
(org-export-blocks...)?

> Hope this Helps -- Eric
>
> This works for me with the attached Org-mode file.

I'm assuming I need to add your code above to the attached? As-is, it
export, but it just puts your "Notes on lorem" in between the two
paragraphs.

Thanks for the suggestion!
John

@ 2011-04-06 16:11     ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2011-04-06 16:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Erik Iverson; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Tue, Apr 5, 2011 at 11:10 PM, Erik Iverson <eriki@ccbr.umn.edu> wrote:
> If you export to HTML, you should be able to export your notes with a CSS
> class to style your notes as differently from the text as you like.

Great idea. Unfortunately, I'm almost entirely a LaTeX -> PDF guy.
Though, if I ever wanted blog interaction, I definitely might look
into this more, though I'm usually just needing pretty "bland" html
code for blogger at that point.

One question... if I were to do this, how would I "signal" that a
certain portion of the text (my notes) should get a different css
applied to them than the rest of the document that they are
interspersed into? Would I have some sort of <div> tag wherever I have
notes?

Thanks,
John

@ 2011-04-06 16:16       ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2011-04-06 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Schulte; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Wed, Apr 6, 2011 at 12:02 AM, Eric Schulte <schulte.eric@gmail.com> wrote:
> Erik Iverson <eriki@ccbr.umn.edu> writes:
>
>> If you export to HTML, you should be able to export your notes with a
>> CSS class to style your notes as differently from the text as you
>> like.
>>

> I like the following for offsetting quotes, may work well for notes...
>
> #+begin_src css
>  blockquote {
>    border-left: 1px solid gray;
>    padding-left: 4px; }
> #+end_src

I like formats like this as well and have been "cheating" to do this
in LaTeX more or less like this:

#+attr_latex: align=l|p{0.95\textwidth}
| \,| The text that I want quoted, which ends up looking good but
needs to be on one insanely long line of an org-mode table|

Is there a better way to send a quote into the table form (indented
with a nice vertical line to the left) but not need to have the quote
on one huge line of an actual table (from org -> LaTeX, that is...
obviously the above works if using html)?

John

> --
> Eric Schulte
> http://cs.unm.edu/~eschulte/

* Re: Using orgmode to take "inline notes" for research
@ 2011-04-06 16:33   ` John Hendy
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: John Hendy @ 2011-04-06 16:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff Horn; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Tue, Apr 5, 2011 at 10:21 PM, Jeff Horn <jrhorn424@gmail.com> wrote:
> Have you tried using org-inline-task without a TODO keyword? These
> super-deep "headlines" aren't treated as headlines, so they don't
> break doc structure, but they are foldable, and unlike COMMENT keyword
> headlines, they're printable. The only problem I've run into is have a
> lot to say in an inline note. In that case, one could just insert
> plaintext between the pseudo-headings of the inline note (try it to
> see what I mean). I haven't tried printing these long notes, but I
> imagine it would work.

Yeah, this might be the ticket. Really liking it so far. I see your
point about exporting long-ish comments, and I will definitely have
those. It looks pretty darn good to me, though. One thing I'm not sure
of is how to perhaps format them differently depending on if I want
just the notes, or if I want inline comments.

Inline comments already look pretty good, and I can do something like this:
,-----
| *************** Notes
| Here's some notes just want to see how this looks. Here's some notes
just want to see
| how this looks.
|
| Here's some notes just want to see how this looks. Here's some notes
just want to see
| how this looks.
| *************** END
`-----

Then on export I get a nice bold *Notes* followed by my notes:
,---
| *Notes* Here's some notes just want to see how this looks...
| \linebreak is here
| Here's some notes just want to see how this looks...
`-----

If I add :export: to that Notes headline (and all of them), then it
breaks them up a bit:
,-----
| *Notes*
| \linebreak is here
| Here's some notes just want to see how this looks...
| \linebreak is here
| Here's some notes just want to see how this looks...
`-----

So... if I were just interested in my notes (say I wanted to just push
the notes to my blog or share them without all the other text), it
might get odd to see all of those headlines. Can one export just the
text and hide the headline text altogether? And would this also create
the appearance of simply paragraphs one after the other, or would
there be some increased spacing between different chunks?

Lastly, it would be fantastic to have a "toggle" on the style used for
export of these. I would love to be able to have the inline notes
perhaps indented a little bit, but when exporting them alone, to turn
that off.

That's a lot of requests! I think as-is, I could already make this
work pretty darn well. I was aware of these, but was thinking they
were just for tasks and headlines, not able to contain text.

Thanks for the suggestion!

John

@ 2011-04-06 16:42     ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2011-04-06 16:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Hendy; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

>> Using the following code, you can control whether notes enclosed in
>> "notes" blcks will be exported by changing the value of the
>> *export-my-notes* variable, when it is nil your notes will not be
>> exported, when t they will be exported as quoted text.
>>
>> #+begin_src emacs-lisp
>>  (defvar *export-my-notes* nil)
>>
>>  (defun org-exp-block-process-notes (body &rest headers)
>>    (if *export-my-notes*
>>        (format "\n#+begin_quote\n%s\n#+end_quote\n" body)
>>        ""))
>>
>>  (org-export-blocks-add-block '(notes org-exp-block-process-notes nil))
>> #+end_src
>
> So, do I put my notes between the end of the (defun org-exp...) and
> (org-export-blocks...)?

No,

sorry I should have been more clear, add the above elisp to your Emacs
initialization (or just evaluate it in your scratch buffer), and then
after doing so whenever you export a buffer containing a begin/end_notes
block, the block will be removed during export.  Then later if you want
to export the notes along with the article text, you can evaluate the
following elisp code to set *export-my-notes* to t, and re-export to
find the notes embedded in the exported document.

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
  (setq *export-my-notes* t)
#+end_src

Hope this clears things up -- Eric

--
Eric Schulte
http://cs.unm.edu/~eschulte/

* Re: Using orgmode to take "inline notes" for research
@ 2011-04-06 16:47     ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2011-04-06 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff Horn; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Wed, Apr 6, 2011 at 11:33 AM, John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 5, 2011 at 10:21 PM, Jeff Horn <jrhorn424@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Have you tried using org-inline-task without a TODO keyword? These
>> super-deep "headlines" aren't treated as headlines, so they don't
>> break doc structure, but they are foldable, and unlike COMMENT keyword
>> headlines, they're printable.

<snippety-doo-dah>

> Yeah, this might be the ticket. Really liking it so far.
>
> So... if I were just interested in my notes (say I wanted to just push
> the notes to my blog or share them without all the other text), it
> might get odd to see all of those headlines. Can one export just the
> text and hide the headline text altogether? And would this also create
> the appearance of simply paragraphs one after the other, or would
> there be some increased spacing between different chunks?

One other suggestion on this (calling Samuel Wales) -- what if I could
get my notes at the top of the document (somehow) if I'd like to just
read though the notes, but use these "bidirectional markers" to jump
back and forth if there's ever confusion about what, exactly, I was
writing about?

I think that would be really slick. Some of this is for study, so I
could see this being quite useful -- read through what you thought was
important at the time, and if you need a refresher on the actual
contents, click the link to "teleport" to the original text (and then
teleport back)?

John

@ 2011-04-06 17:27       ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2011-04-06 17:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Hendy; +Cc: Jeff Horn, emacs-orgmode

Hi John,

They only solve half of the problem.

Unbreakable bidirectional links using ID markers would solve
the teleport problem.  Both ends can be moved anyplace,
including inside stretches of text.  They are a little like
a generalization of footnotes.  They use org IDs.  You can
specify various things for export and appearance in the org
buffer and so on.  ID markers are a proposal in the list
archives; they can be used for graph-theoretic applications.
Bidirectional links are simply a pair of ID markers that are
made to act as links also and that point to each other.

However, you still need to figure out how to put notes at
the top.  I wonder if inline tasks can work for this.  Maybe
you can put a tag on each to specify that it is a note, then
somehow export notes first, then everything except notes.
I'm note sure how to design that to fit into org nicely.
Maybe there is some way to do this:

  * Here is my whole document (by inclusion)
    (some kind of syntax here to say insert all :note: headlines)

    Here are the things the notes refer to.  You can
    teleport to them.

    (some kind of syntax here to say insert all other headlines)

Babel has something similar, but I don't know if it can do
it.  I have long wanted a way to include the body of a
headline upon export (maybe it is possible now, dunno) and
this is a generalization that lets you include all headlines
with a certain tag or all headlines without it.

We would want it to be useful for more purposes.  Perhaps
Extensible (i.e. universal) Syntax would allow flexibility here.
It would prevent having to invent new syntax, because the
same syntax is used for other features according to the car.

  * Here is my whole document (by inclusion)
    $[include :headlines-from-elisp (org-tags-view nil ":note:")]

    Here are the things the notes refer to.  You can
    teleport to them.

    $[include :not-headlines-from-elisp (org-tags-view nil ":note:")]

Samuel

* Re: Using orgmode to take "inline notes" for research
@ 2011-04-06 18:08         ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2011-04-06 18:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Wales; +Cc: Jeff Horn, emacs-orgmode

On Wed, Apr 6, 2011 at 12:27 PM, Samuel Wales <samologist@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi John,
>
> They only solve half of the problem.
>
> Unbreakable bidirectional links using ID markers would solve
> the teleport problem.  Both ends can be moved anyplace,
> including inside stretches of text.  They are a little like
> a generalization of footnotes.  They use org IDs.  You can
> specify various things for export and appearance in the org
> buffer and so on.  ID markers are a proposal in the list
> archives; they can be used for graph-theoretic applications.
> Bidirectional links are simply a pair of ID markers that are
> made to act as links also and that point to each other.

This sounds very cool. I can't gather from the mailing list thread
(which appears to be just you) whether this is implemented or just
suggested. Is it possible to actually use this or not?

> However, you still need to figure out how to put notes at
> the top.  I wonder if inline tasks can work for this.  Maybe
> you can put a tag on each to specify that it is a note, then
> somehow export notes first, then everything except notes.
> I'm note sure how to design that to fit into org nicely.
> Maybe there is some way to do this:
>
>  * Here is my whole document (by inclusion)
>    (some kind of syntax here to say insert all :note: headlines)
>
>    Here are the things the notes refer to.  You can
>    teleport to them.
>
>    (some kind of syntax here to say insert all other headlines)

This would be pretty neat.

> Babel has something similar, but I don't know if it can do
> it.  I have long wanted a way to include the body of a
> headline upon export (maybe it is possible now, dunno) and
> this is a generalization that lets you include all headlines
> with a certain tag or all headlines without it.
>
> We would want it to be useful for more purposes.  Perhaps
> Extensible (i.e. universal) Syntax would allow flexibility here.
> It would prevent having to invent new syntax, because the
> same syntax is used for other features according to the car.

Agreed -- it would be neat to have the syntax/tools available to use
it for whatever, and as a result of such a feature set, it could be
used for this.

Thanks for sharing,
John

@ 2011-04-06 18:16           ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2011-04-06 18:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Hendy; +Cc: Jeff Horn, emacs-orgmode

Hi John,

On 2011-04-06, John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com> wrote:
> This sounds very cool. I can't gather from the mailing list thread
> (which appears to be just you) whether this is implemented or just
> suggested. Is it possible to actually use this or not?

Others have commented on it.  Can't find links for you now.  It is
just a proposal.  I cannot implement it.

Samuel

--
The Kafka Pandemic:
  http://thekafkapandemic.blogspot.com/2010/12/welcome-to-kafka-pandemic-two-forces_9182.html

* Re: Using orgmode to take "inline notes" for research
@ 2011-04-06 18:16             ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2011-04-06 18:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Wales; +Cc: Jeff Horn, emacs-orgmode

On Wed, Apr 6, 2011 at 1:16 PM, Samuel Wales <samologist@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi John,
>
> On 2011-04-06, John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com> wrote:
>> This sounds very cool. I can't gather from the mailing list thread
>> (which appears to be just you) whether this is implemented or just
>> suggested. Is it possible to actually use this or not?
>
> Others have commented on it.  Can't find links for you now.  It is
> just a proposal.  I cannot implement it.

Ah. Good to know. Whether implemented or just suggested was the
primary thing I wanted to know.

Thanks,
John

@ 2011-04-06 19:11     ` Mark Elston
From: Mark Elston @ 2011-04-06 19:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 4/6/2011 9:33 AM, John Hendy wrote:

> Inline comments already look pretty good, and I can do something like this:
> ,-----
> | *************** Notes
> | Here's some notes just want to see how this looks. Here's some notes
> just want to see
> | how this looks.
> |
> | Here's some notes just want to see how this looks. Here's some notes
> just want to see
> | how this looks.
> | *************** END
> `-----
>
> Then on export I get a nice bold *Notes* followed by my notes:
> ,---
> | *Notes* Here's some notes just want to see how this looks...
> | \linebreak is here
> | Here's some notes just want to see how this looks...
> `-----
>
> If I add :export: to that Notes headline (and all of them), then it
> breaks them up a bit:
> ,-----
> | *Notes*
> | \linebreak is here
> | Here's some notes just want to see how this looks...
> | \linebreak is here
> | Here's some notes just want to see how this looks...
> `-----
>
> So... if I were just interested in my notes (say I wanted to just push
> the notes to my blog or share them without all the other text), it
> might get odd to see all of those headlines. Can one export just the
> text and hide the headline text altogether? And would this also create
> the appearance of simply paragraphs one after the other, or would
> there be some increased spacing between different chunks?

I do something similar to this but don't put any heading text on the
line.  I *do*, however, use tags for exporting various blocks for
different purposes.  This can be useful here if you want to 'munge'
things a bit on export, though it would likely take some careful post
processing or multiple passes through your doc to get what you want.

This is what I do when creating notes for teaching and handouts for
students from a single org file...

> Lastly, it would be fantastic to have a "toggle" on the style used for
> export of these. I would love to be able to have the inline notes
> perhaps indented a little bit, but when exporting them alone, to turn
> that off.

Mark

* Re: Using orgmode to take "inline notes" for research
@ 2011-04-07  4:19     ` Jeff Horn
From: Jeff Horn @ 2011-04-07  4:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Hendy; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Wed, Apr 6, 2011 at 12:33 PM, John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com> wrote:
> So... if I were just interested in my notes (say I wanted to just push
> the notes to my blog or share them without all the other text), it
> might get odd to see all of those headlines. Can one export just the
> text and hide the headline text altogether? And would this also create
> the appearance of simply paragraphs one after the other, or would
> there be some increased spacing between different chunks?

AFAIK, "inline-tasks" don't have to have headlines. For instance:

,----[ org-inlinetask example ]
| *************** NOTES
| Test note with a headline word.
| *************** END
|
| ***************
| Test note with blank headline.
| *************** END
`----

exports to ASCII as:

,----[ ASCII export ]
|      -- NOTES
|          ¦ Test note with a headline word.
|
|      --
|          ¦ Test note with blank headline.
`----

> Lastly, it would be fantastic to have a "toggle" on the style used for
> export of these. I would love to be able to have the inline notes
> perhaps indented a little bit, but when exporting them alone, to turn
> that off.

That's out of my depth. Maybe someone else has a suggestion?

> Thanks for the suggestion!

No problem. As a note for others searching on this, I'll just go ahead
and re-iterate that if you don't want a particular inline-task to be
printed, just add the :noexport: tag to the headline.

Sebastian, or others: One is able to add properties to inline-style
headlines correct? John could add an HTML container class property and
use a stylesheet to play with HTML export, including "indentation",
but I don't know if there is any equivalent help from the LaTeX
exporter.

--

@ 2011-04-07  5:33         ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2011-04-07  5:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Hendy; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com> writes:

[...]

> I like formats like this as well and have been "cheating" to do this
> in LaTeX more or less like this:
>
> #+attr_latex: align=l|p{0.95\textwidth}
> | \,| The text that I want quoted, which ends up looking good but
> needs to be on one insanely long line of an org-mode table|
>
> Is there a better way to send a quote into the table form (indented
> with a nice vertical line to the left) but not need to have the quote
> on one huge line of an actual table (from org -> LaTeX, that is...
> obviously the above works if using html)?

You could use the =changebar= style in latex and then enclose the text
you want highlighted in a double environment combining changebar and quote:

\begin{quote}
  \begin{changebar}
    ... text goes here ...
  \end{changebar}
\end{quote}

Not tested.  You may want =quotation= instead of =quote=.

Not quite what you want but similar in concept... ;-)

--
: Eric S Fraga (GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D) in Emacs 24.0.50.1
: using Org-mode version 7.5 (release_7.5.142.g4168)

* Re: Using orgmode to take "inline notes" for research
@ 2011-04-07  9:20       ` Sébastien Vauban
From: Sébastien Vauban @ 2011-04-07  9:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Hi Jeff,

Jeff Horn wrote:
> No problem. As a note for others searching on this, I'll just go ahead and
> re-iterate that if you don't want a particular inline-task to be printed,
> just add the :noexport: tag to the headline.

Better to say it twice!

> Sebastian, or others: One is able to add properties to inline-style
> headlines correct? John could add an HTML container class property and use a
> stylesheet to play with HTML export, including "indentation", but I don't
> know if there is any equivalent help from the LaTeX exporter.

This is my current config for nice styling:

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
  ;; initial state (TODO keyword) of inline tasks
  (setq org-inlinetask-default-state "TODO")

  ;; templates for inline tasks in various exporters
  (setq org-inlinetask-export-templates
                '((unless (eq todo "")
                    (format "<span class=\"%s %s\">%s%s</span> "
                            class todo todo priority))
                  heading content))
          (latex "\\todo[inline]{\\textbf{\\textsf{%s %s}}\\linebreak{} %s}"
                 '((unless (eq todo "")
                     (format "\\textsc{%s%s}" todo priority))
                   heading content))
          (ascii "     -- %s%s%s"
                 '((unless (eq todo "")
                     (format "%s%s " todo priority))
                   heading
                   (unless (eq content "")
                     (format "\n         ¦ %s"
                             (mapconcat 'identity
                                        (org-split-string content "\n")
                                        "\n         ¦ ")))))))
#+end_src

Customize to your own taste (and report back!)...

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sébastien Vauban

* Re: Using orgmode to take "inline notes" for research
@ 2011-04-07 12:39       ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2011-04-07 12:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff Horn; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

Jeff Horn <jrhorn424@gmail.com> writes:

> AFAIK, "inline-tasks" don't have to have headlines. For instance:
>
> ,----[ org-inlinetask example ]
> | *************** NOTES
> | Test note with a headline word.
> | *************** END
> |
> | ***************
> | Test note with blank headline.
> | *************** END
> `----
>
> exports to ASCII as:
>
> ,----[ ASCII export ]
> |      -- NOTES
> |          ¦ Test note with a headline word.
> |
> |      --
> |          ¦ Test note with blank headline.
> `----

Some regexps used in org-inlinetask.el require a space and something
after the stars. It _may_ work without them, but I think that's asking
for trouble.

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: Re: Using orgmode to take "inline notes" for research
@ 2011-04-07 15:26         ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2011-04-07 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sébastien Vauban; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

2011/4/7 Sébastien Vauban <wxhgmqzgwmuf@spammotel.com>:
> Hi Jeff,
>

> This is my current config for nice styling:
>
> #+begin_src emacs-lisp
>   <snip>
> #+end_src
>
> Customize to your own taste (and report back!)...

I can't have something set up right. I was doubtful that I was going
this source block thing right when Eric posted his suggestion for
notes in code blocks. So, I pasted this into my org-mode file and
evaluated it. Is that not what I'm supposed to do? At the top of the
resultant pdf, I get:
,---
| language=Lisp (setq org-inlinetask-default-state "TODO")
| ;; templates for inline tasks in various exporters (setq
org-inlinetask-export-templates ’((html "<pre
|  ̈
| class=ïnlinetask><b>’((unless (eq todo "") (format "<span class= ̈
lass todo todo priority)) heading
| ----------and more------------
`---

Then my document is below. It does do *something* -- my inline note
changed from:
,-----
| *Inline headline* my notes on the first line which wrap to
|          more notes spilling onto second line, which wrap to
|          more notes onto a third line
`-----

to:
,-----
| [inline] *Inline headline* (and this is spread across the entire
width of the page)
| my notes on the first line which wrap to
| more notes spilling onto second line, which wrap to
| more notes onto a third line
`-----

What am I goofing up. Sorry, I've never used babel blocks like this!
Only for stuff like gnuplot, ditaa, etc. Is there something different
I should be doing to evaluate an elisp block that sets in-file
settings?

Thanks,
John

@ 2011-04-07 15:33           ` Jeff Horn
From: Jeff Horn @ 2011-04-07 15:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Hendy; +Cc: Sébastien Vauban, emacs-orgmode

2011/4/7 John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com>:
> I can't have something set up right. I was doubtful that I was going
> this source block thing right when Eric posted his suggestion for
> notes in code blocks. So, I pasted this into my org-mode file and
> evaluated it. Is that not what I'm supposed to do? At the top of the
> resultant pdf, I get:
> <snip>

Try pasting Seb's code into the *scratch* buffer, not the org-mode
buffer. Once you evaluate it in the scratch buffer, you should be to
make inline-tasks/headlines as normal and export to pdf to get the
style defined by the lisp code. From reading it, it should be the
headline content in small caps, followed by a line return, and text
notes.

If you like it, you can add the customizations to an init file, or use
the customize interface to set things up.

--

@ 2011-04-07 15:48             ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2011-04-07 15:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff Horn; +Cc: Sébastien Vauban, emacs-orgmode

On Thu, Apr 7, 2011 at 10:33 AM, Jeff Horn <jrhorn424@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2011/4/7 John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com>:
>> I can't have something set up right. I was doubtful that I was going
>> this source block thing right when Eric posted his suggestion for
>> notes in code blocks. So, I pasted this into my org-mode file and
>> evaluated it. Is that not what I'm supposed to do? At the top of the
>> resultant pdf, I get:
>> <snip>
>
> Try pasting Seb's code into the *scratch* buffer, not the org-mode
> buffer. Once you evaluate it in the scratch buffer, you should be to
> make inline-tasks/headlines as normal and export to pdf to get the
> style defined by the lisp code. From reading it, it should be the
> headline content in small caps, followed by a line return, and text
> notes.
>
> If you like it, you can add the customizations to an init file, or use
> the customize interface to set things up.

Something's still not right. This:
------
* Top headline
Some notes about this stuff to see how this custom export works! Some
notes about
this stuff to see how this custom export works!

*************** An inline section
Here's some text inside an inline section; let's see what the format
looks like on
export!
*************** END

Some notes about this stuff to see how this custom export works! Some
notes about
this stuff to see how this custom export works!
------

Is producing the attached.

John

> --
> Jeffrey Horn
> http://www.failuretorefrain.com/jeff/

[-- Attachment #2: test.pdf --]

* Re: Using orgmode to take "inline notes" for research
@ 2011-04-07 16:10           ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2011-04-07 16:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Hendy, emacs-orgmode

On Thu, Apr 7, 2011 at 12:33 AM, Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> wrote:
> John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com> writes:
>
> [...]
>

>> I like formats like this as well and have been "cheating" to do this
>> in LaTeX more or less like this:
>>
>> #+attr_latex: align=l|p{0.95\textwidth}
>> | \,| The text that I want quoted, which ends up looking good but
>> needs to be on one insanely long line of an org-mode table|
>>
>> Is there a better way to send a quote into the table form (indented
>> with a nice vertical line to the left) but not need to have the quote
>> on one huge line of an actual table (from org -> LaTeX, that is...
>> obviously the above works if using html)?
>
> You could use the =changebar= style in latex and then enclose the text
> you want highlighted in a double environment combining changebar and quote:

> \begin{quote}
>  \begin{changebar}
>    ... text goes here ...
>  \end{changebar}
> \end{quote}
>
> Not tested.  You may want =quotation= instead of =quote=.
>
> Not quite what you want but similar in concept... ;-)

I should have googled harder. Where were you all my life, StackOverflow?[1]

-----
\begin{tabular}{l|p{0.9\textwidth}}
\quad &
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Morbi id hendrerit
nunc. Sed scelerisque lacus vitae erat eleifend eleifend. Donec eros
mi, placerat
in porta eleifend, placerat a urna. Pellentesque venenatis neque non turpis
convallis vehicula. Aliquam aliquet ultricies tincidunt.\\
\end{tabular}
-----

[1] http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2911013/how-to-add-changebar-in-latex

John

@ 2011-04-08 18:18             ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2011-04-08 18:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Hendy; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com> writes:

> On Thu, Apr 7, 2011 at 12:33 AM, Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> wrote:
>> John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com> writes:
>>

>> [...]
>>

>>> I like formats like this as well and have been "cheating" to do this
>>> in LaTeX more or less like this:
>>>
>>> #+attr_latex: align=l|p{0.95\textwidth}
>>> needs to be on one insanely long line of an org-mode table|
>>>
>>> Is there a better way to send a quote into the table form (indented
>>> with a nice vertical line to the left) but not need to have the quote
>>> on one huge line of an actual table (from org -> LaTeX, that is...
>>> obviously the above works if using html)?

[...]

> I should have googled harder. Where were you all my life, StackOverflow?[1]
>
> -----
> \begin{tabular}{l|p{0.9\textwidth}}
> \quad &
> Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Morbi id
> hendrerit

But isn't this the same solution you had before?  You still end up with
a very long line in the org file?
--

@ 2011-04-08 20:08               ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2011-04-08 20:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Hendy, emacs-orgmode

> [...]
>
>> I should have googled harder. Where were you all my life, StackOverflow?[1]
>>
>> -----
>> \begin{tabular}{l|p{0.9\textwidth}}
>> \quad &
>> Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Morbi id
>> hendrerit
>
> But isn't this the same solution you had before?  You still end up with
> a very long line in the org file?

Unless:
1) your tabular env is required to be on one continuous line, or
2) You know how to split an org-table into multiple lines

No, they are different. I'm not sure if I was explicit about the
above, but I'm inserting that native LaTeX code into the org file;
that's not post-export. That's just how I dump it... so I get a couple
lines of tabular setup and then my whole quote can rest in one
paragraph with fill mode line wrapping. With the org table it was off
the page with fill mode.

The other source of confusion might have been whether or not we both
use fill mode. I do, but think if I didn't, perhaps the org-table
would wrap for me?

Does that make things any clearer?

John

@ 2011-04-08 20:53               ` Sébastien Vauban
From: Sébastien Vauban @ 2011-04-08 20:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Hi John,

John Hendy wrote:
> Something's still not right. This:
> ------
> * Top headline
> Some notes about this stuff to see how this custom export works! Some
> notes about
> this stuff to see how this custom export works!
>
> *************** An inline section
> Here's some text inside an inline section; let's see what the format
> looks like on
> export!
> *************** END
>
> Some notes about this stuff to see how this custom export works! Some
> notes about
> this stuff to see how this custom export works!
> ------
>
> Is producing the attached.

Yes, you're right. You need the todonotes package. This is "standard" in my
private class, reason why I forgot about this link.

Go and add it, you'll love it!

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sébastien Vauban

* Re: Using orgmode to take "inline notes" for research
@ 2011-04-12 16:30                 ` John Hendy
                                     ` (2 more replies)
From: John Hendy @ 2011-04-12 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sébastien Vauban; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> Yes, you're right. You need the todonotes package. This is "standard" in my
> private class, reason why I forgot about this link.
>
> Go and add it, you'll love it!

Holy cow. I kind of ignored this as I didn't know what it did, then
checked out todonotes and was blown away. This is amazing.

,---
| (latex "\\todo[inline]{\\textbf{\\textsf{%s %s}}\\linebreak{} %s}"
|                '((unless (eq todo "")
|                    (format "\\textsc{%s%s}" todo priority))
|                  heading content))
`---

A couple questions:
- would you be able to even broadly tell me what the latex chunk is
doing there? Is %s like the %s in python (and perhaps other
programming languages)? I don't get where the third %s gets its value.
In other words, it seems that one of them is the heading value and
another is the content... but what does the third %s get it's value in
the first line?
--- Side note... maybe time for me to learn elisp?

- I looked at the package and example and rather liked the side-page
type for small little notes. Sooooo cool. But, alas, removing the
'[inline]' gave me undefined control sequence errors. When I ran it
from the .tex file directly, it kind of worked, but my little box was
really smushed and off the page. I'm guessing that my desire for
narrower page margins isn't helping (I have geometry setting hmargins
to 2cm)?

- Some of my notes are multi paragraphs, which I prefer non-indented
and separated by a line break rather than no line break and indented.
But when exported, multiple paragraphs just "stack up" with no line
break. Can I add this to your format?

Thanks again! What a neat package!

John

@ 2011-04-12 16:39                   ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2011-04-12 16:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sébastien Vauban; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

2011/4/12 John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com>:

>> Yes, you're right. You need the todonotes package. This is "standard" in my
>> private class, reason why I forgot about this link.
>>
>> Go and add it, you'll love it!
>
> Holy cow. I kind of ignored this as I didn't know what it did, then
> checked out todonotes and was blown away. This is amazing.
>
> ,---
> | (latex "\\todo[inline]{\\textbf{\\textsf{%s %s}}\\linebreak{} %s}"
> |                '((unless (eq todo "")
> |                    (format "\\textsc{%s%s}" todo priority))
> |                  heading content))
> `---
>
> A couple questions:
> - would you be able to even broadly tell me what the latex chunk is
> doing there? Is %s like the %s in python (and perhaps other
> programming languages)? I don't get where the third %s gets its value.
> In other words, it seems that one of them is the heading value and
> another is the content... but what does the third %s get it's value in
> the first line?
> --- Side note... maybe time for me to learn elisp?
>
> - I looked at the package and example and rather liked the side-page
> type for small little notes. Sooooo cool. But, alas, removing the
> '[inline]' gave me undefined control sequence errors. When I ran it
> from the .tex file directly, it kind of worked, but my little box was
> really smushed and off the page. I'm guessing that my desire for
> narrower page margins isn't helping (I have geometry setting hmargins
> to 2cm)?

Confirmed: this does not play nicely with geometry. It's like the
package shifts things away from where tikz expects the text to be. As
I narrow the margins more and more, the lines that used to underline
the text stay the same length and just get farther and farther away
from actually underlining the text. Perhaps I'll just stick to inline
notes unless there's some way to tell todonotes the margin size?

@ 2011-04-12 17:57                     ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2011-04-12 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sébastien Vauban; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

2011/4/12 John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com>:
> 2011/4/12 John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com>:
>>>
>>> Yes, you're right. You need the todonotes package. This is "standard" in my
>>> private class, reason why I forgot about this link.
>>>
>>> Go and add it, you'll love it!
>>
>> Holy cow. I kind of ignored this as I didn't know what it did, then
>> checked out todonotes and was blown away. This is amazing.
>>
>> ,---
>> | (latex "\\todo[inline]{\\textbf{\\textsf{%s %s}}\\linebreak{} %s}"
>> |                '((unless (eq todo "")
>> |                    (format "\\textsc{%s%s}" todo priority))
>> |                  heading content))
>> `---
>>
>> A couple questions:
>> - would you be able to even broadly tell me what the latex chunk is
>> doing there? Is %s like the %s in python (and perhaps other
>> programming languages)? I don't get where the third %s gets its value.
>> In other words, it seems that one of them is the heading value and
>> another is the content... but what does the third %s get it's value in
>> the first line?
>> --- Side note... maybe time for me to learn elisp?
>>
>> - I looked at the package and example and rather liked the side-page
>> type for small little notes. Sooooo cool. But, alas, removing the
>> '[inline]' gave me undefined control sequence errors. When I ran it
>> from the .tex file directly, it kind of worked, but my little box was
>> really smushed and off the page. I'm guessing that my desire for
>> narrower page margins isn't helping (I have geometry setting hmargins
>> to 2cm)?
>
> Confirmed: this does not play nicely with geometry. It's like the
> package shifts things away from where tikz expects the text to be. As
> I narrow the margins more and more, the lines that used to underline
> the text stay the same length and just get farther and farther away
> from actually underlining the text. Perhaps I'll just stick to inline
> notes unless there's some way to tell todonotes the margin size?

Sorry for the whiplash. This is *not* actually the case. todonotes
plays fine with geometry, but since I was exporting directly from the
.tex file, I needed to run pdflatex a few times until the lines
re-found their home. Org-export must re-run a few times and take care
of that. In any case, for future reference, this helps (I have this in
my setupfile):

,---
| #+latex_header: \usepackage[text width=Xcm]{todonotes}
`---

This might be obvious to some (and is, now, to me since I realize it's
using TikZ options), but I thought I'd add it for later-googlers'
sakes. You can specify a width for the box to be exported and tailor
it to your margins. Obviously, if your margins are narrower than your
longest word, it won't work, regardless, and the text will spill over
the todonote box.

Also, I found a pretty cool post (here:
http://jcl.posterous.com/latex-todonotes-and-margins) on temporarily
making the page and margins bigger to accommodate the notes. For those
using this just for notes, perhaps this isn't favorable if you want to
print. But for pure markup... it's a pretty neat workaround -- just
make your page as big as you need and add notes to your heart's
content.

I'll probably just stick to inline notes, but one other option is to
shift the text to one side, for example like so:

,---
| #+LATEX_HEADER: \usepackage[left=1.5cm, right=3.5cm,vmargin=2.5cm]{geometry}
`---

So this gives you the equivalent of 2 x 2.5cm margins, but shifts it
to one side so you can put notes on the right.

Hope this helps someone down the road.

Sebastien: my other questions re. how to interpret the code and
inserting proper linebreaks are still of interest!

Thanks!
John

@ 2011-04-12 18:20                   ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2011-04-12 18:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Hendy; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com> writes:

[...]

> - I looked at the package and example and rather liked the side-page
> type for small little notes. Sooooo cool. But, alas, removing the
> '[inline]' gave me undefined control sequence errors. When I ran it
> from the .tex file directly, it kind of worked, but my little box was
> really smushed and off the page. I'm guessing that my desire for
> narrower page margins isn't helping (I have geometry setting hmargins
> to 2cm)?

It is cool but doesn't play well with margins, as you have seen.  I've
given up on cool and use the following instead:

(latex "%s\\footnote{%s\\\\ %s}\\marginpar{\\fbox{\\thefootnote}}"
					       '((unless
						     (eq todo "")
						   (format "\\fbox{\\textsc{%s%s}}" todo priority))
						 heading content))

> - Some of my notes are multi paragraphs, which I prefer non-indented
> and separated by a line break rather than no line break and indented.
> But when exported, multiple paragraphs just "stack up" with no line
> break. Can I add this to your format?

Yes, this is a problem with latex and not org.  It is very difficult
(read: I have never managed to figure out how to do it ;-) to control
the parskip and parsep aspects of paragraphs in a footnote.  The
=endnotes= package should allow you to control the behaviour more but
even there I have not been entirely successful (I can get it to listen
to parskip but not parident settings).

--
: Eric S Fraga (GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D) in Emacs 24.0.50.1
: using Org-mode version 7.5 (release_7.5.176.g2c8e9)

* Re: Using orgmode to take "inline notes" for research
@ 2011-04-12 18:56                     ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2011-04-12 18:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Hendy, emacs-orgmode

On Tue, Apr 12, 2011 at 1:20 PM, Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> wrote:
> John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com> writes:
>
> [...]
>
>> - I looked at the package and example and rather liked the side-page
>> type for small little notes. Sooooo cool. But, alas, removing the
>> '[inline]' gave me undefined control sequence errors. When I ran it
>> from the .tex file directly, it kind of worked, but my little box was
>> really smushed and off the page. I'm guessing that my desire for
>> narrower page margins isn't helping (I have geometry setting hmargins
>> to 2cm)?
>
> It is cool but doesn't play well with margins, as you have seen.  I've
> given up on cool and use the following instead:

But... it's... so... cool!

> (latex "%s\\footnote{%s\\\\ %s}\\marginpar{\\fbox{\\thefootnote}}"
>                                               '((unless
>                                                     (eq todo "")
>                                                   (format "\\fbox{\\textsc{%s%s}}" todo priority))
>                                                 heading content))

I'm so-so on this. Not sure I like the idea of jumping back and forth
as well as adding my own footnotes to mingle with the "real"
footnotes. Very cool look with the box, though. I see the appeal.

>> - Some of my notes are multi paragraphs, which I prefer non-indented
>> and separated by a line break rather than no line break and indented.
>> But when exported, multiple paragraphs just "stack up" with no line
>> break. Can I add this to your format?
>
> Yes, this is a problem with latex and not org.  It is very difficult
> (read: I have never managed to figure out how to do it ;-) to control
> the parskip and parsep aspects of paragraphs in a footnote.  The
> =endnotes= package should allow you to control the behaviour more but
> even there I have not been entirely successful (I can get it to listen
> to parskip but not parident settings).

Yes -- todonote doesn't seem to like this stuff much. Not pretty, but
this works:

-----
*************** Notes
\linebreak
\begin{tabular}{l|p{0.9\textwidth}}
\quad &
"Quote something with a nice line" \\
\end{tabular} \linebreak

Say something about it. \linebreak

Some more stuff.
*************** END
-----

I suppose manually entering linebreaks isn't sooo horrible... I can
get that first linebreak with this:
-----
    (latex "\\todo[inline,color=blue!20]{\\textbf{\\textsf{%s
%s}}\\linebreak{} \\linebreak \\linebreak %s}"
            '((unless (eq todo "")
               (format "\\textsc{%s%s}" todo priority))
             heading content))
-----

We'll see what I end up with. I think I'll stick with todonotes for
now. It's neat and pretty :)

John

@ 2011-04-16  7:24                   ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2011-04-16  7:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Hendy; +Cc: Sébastien Vauban, emacs-orgmode

Hello,

John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com> writes:

> ,---
> | (latex "\\todo[inline]{\\textbf{\\textsf{%s %s}}\\linebreak{} %s}"
> |                '((unless (eq todo "")
> |                    (format "\\textsc{%s%s}" todo priority))
> |                  heading content))
> `---
>
> A couple questions:
> - would you be able to even broadly tell me what the latex chunk is
> doing there? Is %s like the %s in python (and perhaps other
> programming languages)? I don't get where the third %s gets its value.
> In other words, it seems that one of them is the heading value and
> another is the content... but what does the third %s get it's value in
> the first line?

First %s will be replaced by the result of '((unless (eq todo "") ...)).
In other words, it will be the empty string or "\\textsc{todo-keyword
priority}". Second %s is the heading text. Third one is the contents of
the inline task.

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: Using orgmode to take "inline notes" for research
@ 2011-04-17 23:36                     ` Rasmus
From: Rasmus @ 2011-04-17 23:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> It is cool but doesn't play well with margins, as you have seen.  I've
> given up on cool and use the following instead:

I agree on the cool not being cool. However, I do wonder why you would
want to use /ordinary/ footnotes rather than something easily removable
such as fixmenotes, e.g. \fxnote[footnote]. The great thing is they are
removed in the `final' print (i.e. when `draft' is not specified).

>> - Some of my notes are multi paragraphs, which I prefer non-indented
>> and separated by a line break rather than no line break and indented.
>> But when exported, multiple paragraphs just "stack up" with no line
>> break. Can I add this to your format?

I use the following for empty lines. It is quite easy to adopt it
document wide and probably even inside certain environments.

   \newcommand*{\tomlinje}[0]{\\[\baselineskip] \setlength{\parskip}{0pt}}

I didn't get whether you are asking for footnotes specifically, but if
this is the case you might be able to play around with
\setlength{\footparindent}{} and friends?

Cheers,
Rasmus

--
Sent from my Emacs

* Re: Using orgmode to take "inline notes" for research
@ 2011-04-20 17:46                       ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2011-04-20 17:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rasmus; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Rasmus <rasmus.pank@gmail.com> writes:

>> It is cool but doesn't play well with margins, as you have seen.  I've
>> given up on cool and use the following instead:
>
> I agree on the cool not being cool. However, I do wonder why you would
> want to use /ordinary/ footnotes rather than something easily removable
> such as fixmenotes, e.g. \fxnote[footnote]. The great thing is they are
> removed in the `final' print (i.e. when `draft' is not specified).

Sure, this would be a good thing for many to use.  I don't require this
because the documents I create have (or should have) no footnotes in the
final version so any footnotes that are present are things I have to
deal with!  But thanks for pointing me to this alternative.

>>> - Some of my notes are multi paragraphs, which I prefer non-indented
>>> and separated by a line break rather than no line break and indented.
>>> But when exported, multiple paragraphs just "stack up" with no line
>>> break. Can I add this to your format?
>
> I use the following for empty lines. It is quite easy to adopt it
> document wide and probably even inside certain environments.
>
>    \newcommand*{\tomlinje}[0]{\\[\baselineskip] \setlength{\parskip}{0pt}}
>
> I didn't get whether you are asking for footnotes specifically, but if
> this is the case you might be able to play around with
> \setlength{\footparindent}{} and friends?

Will do.  Did not know about \footparindent and my searches did not find
any reference to such!  Thanks.

--
: Eric S Fraga (GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D) in Emacs 24.0.50.1
: using Org-mode version 7.5 (release_7.5.183.g1997)

* Re: Using orgmode to take "inline notes" for research
@ 2011-04-25 19:51                       ` Sébastien Vauban
From: Sébastien Vauban @ 2011-04-25 19:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Hi John,

John Hendy wrote:
> Sebastien: my other questions re. how to interpret the code and
> inserting proper linebreaks are still of interest!

Sorry, just came back today after a 2-week holiday.

Given the number of posts I have to read, could you tell me if all your
questions have been answered and, if not, provide a minimal, but problematic,
example of yours?

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sébastien Vauban

* Re: Using orgmode to take "inline notes" for research
@ 2011-04-26 13:07                         ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2011-04-26 13:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sébastien Vauban; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

2011/4/25 Sébastien Vauban <wxhgmqzgwmuf@spammotel.com>:
> Hi John,
>
> John Hendy wrote:
>> Sebastien: my other questions re. how to interpret the code and
>> inserting proper linebreaks are still of interest!
>
> Sorry, just came back today after a 2-week holiday.
>
> Given the number of posts I have to read, could you tell me if all your
> questions have been answered and, if not, provide a minimal, but problematic,
> example of yours?

Thanks for following up and hope your holiday was nice. I think
everything pretty much got taken care of. I'm still not quite sure
what I'll end up siding with, todonotes or regular 'ol inline tasks.
Footnotes also got suggested, but I don't like their placement as
much. Todonotes don't break lines for longer notes but I think they
look very cool (though some here say cool is out, apparently :) ).

Sooo, I think it'll come down to todonotes inserted throughout or just
regular inline tasks. Inline tasks seems to be essentially perfect --
easy to turn them on/off for export by tagging them as one makes them
and then replacing the tag with export/no-export, one can add
attributes to them since they're headlines, etc.

Very cool and I appreciate all the help and ideas this thread generated!

Best regards,
John