* pdf to powerpoint/openoffice ?
@ 2011-05-12 15:23 Mehul Sanghvi
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Mehul Sanghvi @ 2011-05-12 15:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Using Org-mode, I end up with a PDF presentation.  What I would like
to do is convert that into
either PowerPoint or even better would be into OpenOffice (so I can
get it into Google Docs).
I have a bunch of people that I need to share the slides with and have
them work on it as well.

Is there any tool or process by which I can do the conversion ?

--
Mehul N. Sanghvi
email: mehul.sanghvi@gmail.com

* Re: pdf to powerpoint/openoffice ?
@ 2011-05-12 15:30 ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2011-05-12 15:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mehul Sanghvi; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

In the past I've had to use a tool like ImageMagick to turn each page of
the pdf presentation into an image, and then copy each image into a
slide of a power-point/open-office presentation.

As far as I know there does not exist any means for moving from pdf to
these formats.

Maybe you could try something like https://github.com/sigma/org-s5 to
export to an html presentation which Google Docs would know how to
ingest.

Best -- Eric

Mehul Sanghvi <mehul.sanghvi@gmail.com> writes:

> Using Org-mode, I end up with a PDF presentation.  What I would like
> to do is convert that into
> either PowerPoint or even better would be into OpenOffice (so I can
> get it into Google Docs).
> I have a bunch of people that I need to share the slides with and have
> them work on it as well.
>
> Is there any tool or process by which I can do the conversion ?

--
Eric Schulte
http://cs.unm.edu/~eschulte/

* Re: pdf to powerpoint/openoffice ?
@ 2011-05-13  8:47 ` suvayu ali
From: suvayu ali @ 2011-05-13  8:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mehul Sanghvi; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 8:23 AM, Mehul Sanghvi <mehul.sanghvi@gmail.com> wrote:
> Using Org-mode, I end up with a PDF presentation.  What I would like
> to do is convert that into
> either PowerPoint or even better would be into OpenOffice (so I can
> get it into Google Docs).
> I have a bunch of people that I need to share the slides with and have
> them work on it as well.
>
> Is there any tool or process by which I can do the conversion ?

How about try the experimental org-odt exporter?

http://repo.or.cz/w/org-mode/org-jambu.git

--
Suvayu

* Re: pdf to powerpoint/openoffice ?
@ 2011-05-13 12:22 ` Jambunathan K
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Jambunathan K @ 2011-05-13 12:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mehul Sanghvi; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Mehul

> Using Org-mode, I end up with a PDF presentation.  What I would like
> to do is convert that into
> either PowerPoint or even better would be into OpenOffice (so I can
> get it into Google Docs).
> I have a bunch of people that I need to share the slides with and have
> them work on it as well.
>
> Is there any tool or process by which I can do the conversion ?

You can export your document to OpenOffice [1] and use OpenOffice's
outline to presentation capabilities for generating the needed slides
[2].

Should you unconver any new tweaks to odt exporter I would be happy to
consider it.

Jambunathan K.

Footnotes:
[1]  http://orgmode.org/worg/org-faq.html#convert-to-open-office

[2] Use OpenOffice's File->Send->{Outline to Presentation | AutoAbstract
to Presentation}. Also see

http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/OOoAuthors_User_Manual/Impress_Guide/Creating_slides_from_an_outline

* Re: pdf to powerpoint/openoffice ?
@ 2011-05-13 13:06   ` Mehul Sanghvi
From: Mehul Sanghvi @ 2011-05-13 13:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jambunathan K; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Fri, May 13, 2011 at 08:22, Jambunathan K <kjambunathan@gmail.com> wrote:

> Mehul
>

> You can export your document to OpenOffice [1] and use OpenOffice's
> outline to presentation capabilities for generating the needed slides
> [2].
>
> Should you unconver any new tweaks to odt exporter I would be happy to
> consider it.
>
> Jambunathan K.
>
> Footnotes:
> [1]  http://orgmode.org/worg/org-faq.html#convert-to-open-office
>
> [2] Use OpenOffice's File->Send->{Outline to Presentation | AutoAbstract
> to Presentation}. Also see
>
> http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/OOoAuthors_User_Manual/Impress_Guide/Creating_slides_from_an_outline

Jambunathan,

     Awesome !!  I'll try this out and keep everyone posted on how it works out.

--

@ 2011-05-14  2:41   ` Mehul Sanghvi
From: Mehul Sanghvi @ 2011-05-14  2:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jambunathan K; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Fri, May 13, 2011 at 08:22, Jambunathan K <kjambunathan@gmail.com> wrote:

> Mehul
>
>> Using Org-mode, I end up with a PDF presentation.  What I would like
>> to do is convert that into
>> either PowerPoint or even better would be into OpenOffice (so I can
>> get it into Google Docs).
>> I have a bunch of people that I need to share the slides with and have
>> them work on it as well.
>>
>> Is there any tool or process by which I can do the conversion ?
>
> You can export your document to OpenOffice [1] and use OpenOffice's
> outline to presentation capabilities for generating the needed slides
> [2].
>
> Should you unconver any new tweaks to odt exporter I would be happy to
> consider it.
>
> Jambunathan K.
>
> Footnotes:
> [1]  http://orgmode.org/worg/org-faq.html#convert-to-open-office
>
> [2] Use OpenOffice's File->Send->{Outline to Presentation | AutoAbstract
> to Presentation}. Also see
>
> http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/OOoAuthors_User_Manual/Impress_Guide/Creating_slides_from_an_outline
>
> --

How does someone who does not have a git checkout of org-mode do this ?

I get the following:

prompt% cd ~/Env/emacs

prompt% mkdir org-odt ; cd org-odt

prompt% git remote add org-odt http://repo.or.cz/r/org-mode/org-jambu.git
fatal: Not a git repository (or any of the parent directories): .git

--

@ 2011-05-14  6:36     ` Štěpán Němec
From: Štěpán Němec @ 2011-05-14  6:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mehul Sanghvi; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Jambunathan K

Mehul Sanghvi <mehul.sanghvi@gmail.com> writes:

> How does someone who does not have a git checkout of org-mode do this ?
>
> I get the following:
>
> prompt% cd ~/Env/emacs
>
> prompt% mkdir org-odt ; cd org-odt
>
> prompt% git remote add org-odt http://repo.or.cz/r/org-mode/org-jambu.git
> fatal: Not a git repository (or any of the parent directories): .git

You seem to want this instead:

cd ~/Env/emacs
git clone http://repo.or.cz/r/org-mode/org-jambu.git org-odt

   Štěpán

* Re: pdf to powerpoint/openoffice ?
@ 2011-05-21 20:35   ` Mehul Sanghvi
From: Mehul Sanghvi @ 2011-05-21 20:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jambunathan K; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Fri, May 13, 2011 at 08:22, Jambunathan K <kjambunathan@gmail.com> wrote:

> Mehul
>
>> Using Org-mode, I end up with a PDF presentation.  What I would like
>> to do is convert that into
>> either PowerPoint or even better would be into OpenOffice (so I can
>> get it into Google Docs).
>> I have a bunch of people that I need to share the slides with and have
>> them work on it as well.
>>
>> Is there any tool or process by which I can do the conversion ?
>
> You can export your document to OpenOffice [1] and use OpenOffice's
> outline to presentation capabilities for generating the needed slides
> [2].
>
> Should you unconver any new tweaks to odt exporter I would be happy to
> consider it.
>
> Jambunathan K.
>
> Footnotes:
> [1]  http://orgmode.org/worg/org-faq.html#convert-to-open-office
>
> [2] Use OpenOffice's File->Send->{Outline to Presentation | AutoAbstract
> to Presentation}. Also see

I finally got around to trying this.  Here are my thoughts:

1.  Damn this is good !

2.  Yay !!

3.  Oh C-c C-e O  opens the ODT file in both Emacs and LibreOffice.  I wouldn't
     have expected that.  Would have thought it would open in LibreOffice only.
     C-c C-e D exports to PDF and opens a PDF viewer.  It does not open up the
     PDF file in Emacs (either as a plain buffer or a DocViewer buffer).

4.  Its nice to be able to open the ODT file in archive mode.  Not
sure how I'd use it
     but its a good feature.

5. There were other issues but that had to do with LibreOffice rather
then org-mode :)

cheers,

        mehul

--

@ 2011-05-21 20:43     ` suvayu ali
From: suvayu ali @ 2011-05-21 20:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mehul Sanghvi; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Jambunathan K

On Sat, May 21, 2011 at 1:35 PM, Mehul Sanghvi <mehul.sanghvi@gmail.com> wrote:
> 3.  Oh C-c C-e O  opens the ODT file in both Emacs and LibreOffice.  I wouldn't
>     have expected that.  Would have thought it would open in LibreOffice only.
>     C-c C-e D exports to PDF and opens a PDF viewer.  It does not open up the
>     PDF file in Emacs (either as a plain buffer or a DocViewer buffer).

I think this has to do with the fact that org-odt exports to odt
directly where as latex export exports to latex source and and then
compiles the latex source to generate the pdf. If you look after the
pdf export there should be a tex buffer opened in Emacs.

> 4.  Its nice to be able to open the ODT file in archive mode.  Not
> sure how I'd use it
>     but its a good feature.

Probably not relevant for this discussion but I find it very handy.
Sometime back I lost a lot of my plots due to a disk failure. I could
recover the plots from one of my OpenOffice.org presentations using
this Emacs feature. ;)

--
Suvayu