* Show current task in taskbar
@ 2011-04-18 15:03 Nathan Neff
From: Nathan Neff @ 2011-04-18 15:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

I use wmii which is a minimalist tiling window manager.
It has a taskbar that can show text/icons, etc.

I'd like to see my currently logged in task on the taskbar.

The way I see it, I could either 1) poll emacs for the current task
or 2) have emacs run a cron job and output the current task to a file
or directly
set the taskbar

Has anyone done something like this?  I found the "External Programs" section
on this page:  http://orgmode.org/worg/org-hacks.html but didn't find
anything directly.

Thanks,
--Nate

* Re: Show current task in taskbar
@ 2011-04-18 16:19 ` Matt Lundin
From: Matt Lundin @ 2011-04-18 16:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nathan Neff; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Nathan Neff <nathan.neff@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I use wmii which is a minimalist tiling window manager.
> It has a taskbar that can show text/icons, etc.
>
> I'd like to see my currently logged in task on the taskbar.
>
> The way I see it, I could either 1) poll emacs for the current task

Provided you have the emacs server running, you can access the task with
the following:

emacsclient -e "org-clock-current-task"

Best,
Matt

* Re: Show current task in taskbar
@ 2011-04-20 20:34 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2011-04-20 20:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nathan Neff; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Nathan Neff <nathan.neff@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I use wmii which is a minimalist tiling window manager.
> It has a taskbar that can show text/icons, etc.
>
> I'd like to see my currently logged in task on the taskbar.
>
> The way I see it, I could either 1) poll emacs for the current task
> or 2) have emacs run a cron job and output the current task to a file
> or directly
> set the taskbar
>
> Has anyone done something like this?  I found the "External Programs" section
> on this page:  http://orgmode.org/worg/org-hacks.html but didn't find
> anything directly.
>
> Thanks,
> --Nate

With ratpoison, I use either conky or dzen2 to write out a status line
that is outside the window manager's control.  one of the things I used
to do is echo the contents of a file to that status bar and that file
would include the clocking information.  this clocking information was
generated by the following elisp code:

(defun esf/org-clocking-info-to-file ()
  (with-temp-file "~/tmp/clocking"
    ;; (message (org-clock-get-clock-string))
    (if (org-clock-is-active)
	(insert (format "org: %d/%d min"
			(- (org-clock-get-clocked-time) org-clock-total-time)
			(org-clock-get-clocked-time))
		)
      ) ;;(org-clock-get-clock-string)
    )
  )
(add-hook 'display-time-hook 'esf/org-clocking-info-to-file)

I haven't used this in a while so cannot guarantee it will work with org
7.5, say, but it should.  It requires you to have invoked (display-time)
to hook into that display and obviously something to echo the contents
of the file (~/tmp/clocking in above) into your wmii status bar.

HTH,
eric
--
: Eric S Fraga (GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D) in Emacs 24.0.50.1
: using Org-mode version 7.5 (release_7.5.183.g1997)

* Re: Show current task in taskbar
@ 2011-05-09 23:46   ` Nathan Neff
From: Nathan Neff @ 2011-05-09 23:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Lundin, Eric S Fraga; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Matt, this is most excellent.

I just have to run "server-start" from Emacs, and then I have a cron
job that runs every 30 seconds that updates the status bar.

Very cool.

Eric, I might use your method if I have trouble with emacs server or
something similar.

Thanks for both feedbacks -- this is really cool.

--Nate