* Org table with long lines visibility
@ 2011-05-04 17:48 Johnny
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Johnny @ 2011-05-04 17:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I have a table with ridiculously long lines, so I have limited them by
putting '<N>' in the first row. To edit them, I use 'C-c `' to get the
full text in a separate buffer, which works fine, especially together
with 'longlines-mode'. However, browsing the table contents is very
cumbersome, so I am wondering if there is any way to make the
'org-table-edit-field' to be permanently visible in a buffer,
automatically updating while moving around in the table to view the full
content of the current cell?  Similar to the way BBDB pops up and shows
the sender in a separate buffer, if known.

Any help and ideas appreciated! Thanks!
--
Johnny

* Re: Org table with long lines visibility
@ 2011-05-04 18:07 ` Juan Pechiar
From: Juan Pechiar @ 2011-05-04 18:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Johnny; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

If you're running Emacs on a graphic environment, there is a mouse
tooltip showing the whole cell contentes when you hover over a
truncated cell.

Regards,
.j.

@ 2011-05-04 20:45   ` Johnny
From: Johnny @ 2011-05-04 20:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juan Pechiar; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Juan Pechiar <juan@pechiar.com> writes:

> If you're running Emacs on a graphic environment, there is a mouse
> tooltip showing the whole cell contentes when you hover over a
> truncated cell.

Thanks, but I don't like using the mouse as it is too inefficient when
moving in buffers. Is there any way not involving the mouse?

@ 2011-05-05  5:53     ` Michael Brand
From: Michael Brand @ 2011-05-05  5:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Johnny; +Cc: Juan Pechiar, emacs-orgmode

Hi Juan

You might want to try out also "C-u C-c `" or to toggle "M-x
visible-mode RET". More comfortable would be to reuse this part from
org-table-edit-field

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
(let ((b (save-excursion (skip-chars-backward "^|") (point)))
	    (e (save-excursion (skip-chars-forward "^|\r\n") (point))))
	(remove-text-properties b e '(org-cwidth t invisible t
						 display t intangible t))
	(if (and (boundp 'font-lock-mode) font-lock-mode)
	    (font-lock-fontify-block)))
#+end_src

that shows the whole content of the current cell until the next
"org-table-align" from e. g. TAB. It should be relatively easy to
combine this with "org-table-next-field" and parts of it for other
moving directions and to assign that to keys for moving around.

Michael

@ 2011-05-05  6:57 ` Michael Brand
From: Michael Brand @ 2011-05-05  6:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Johnny; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Johnny

On Wed, May 4, 2011 at 19:48, Johnny <yggdrasil@gmx.co.uk> wrote:
> [...] so I am wondering if there is any way to make the
> 'org-table-edit-field' to be permanently visible in a buffer,
> automatically updating while moving around in the table to view the full
> content of the current cell?

There is not such a way yet but I totally agree that it would be
nothing but natural to have keys assigned to the buffer that opens
with "C-c `" to move around in the current table. I suggest
the table formula editor ("C-c '") used to move around field
references. These keys could be available at least as long as the
buffer/cell content is left unchanged.

Michael

* Re: Org table with long lines visibility
@ 2011-05-07 11:50   ` Johnny
From: Johnny @ 2011-05-07 11:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Brand; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Michael Brand <michael.ch.brand@gmail.com> writes:
> There is not such a way yet but I totally agree that it would be
> nothing but natural to have keys assigned to the buffer that opens
> with "C-c `" to move around in the current table. I suggest
> the table formula editor ("C-c '") used to move around field
> references. These keys could be available at least as long as the
> buffer/cell content is left unchanged.
This sounds like a good idea! Unfortunately, my lisp skills are
abysmal and will have to rely on an interest by others to implement such
a feature. Is there a "wish-list" one should post ideas to, or is this
captured by the mailing list?
--

@ 2011-05-09  5:10     ` Michael Brand
From: Michael Brand @ 2011-05-09  5:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Johnny; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Johnny

As I understand, the issue tracker on Worg
http://orgmode.org/worg/org-issues.html
is thought also as a wish-list and you may add this with the keyword
WISH there. But I wouldn't expect too much from doing only this. The
best in many cases is to try to implement by oneself and ask for help
here where necessary. And it's fun too. To start to understand I would
single step with Edebug firstly "TAB" in a table, then "C-c `" with
"C-c C-q" and maybe also "S-<right>" on a reference after "C-c '" on
#+TBLFM.

Michael

@ 2011-05-09 18:34       ` Johnny
From: Johnny @ 2011-05-09 18:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Brand; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Michael Brand <michael.ch.brand@gmail.com> writes:
> As I understand, the issue tracker on Worg
> http://orgmode.org/worg/org-issues.html
> is thought also as a wish-list and you may add this with the keyword
> WISH there. But I wouldn't expect too much from doing only this. The
> best in many cases is to try to implement by oneself and ask for help
> here where necessary. And it's fun too. To start to understand I would
> single step with Edebug firstly "TAB" in a table, then "C-c `" with
> "C-c C-q" and maybe also "S-<right>" on a reference after "C-c '" on
> #+TBLFM.
Thanks for the pointers. I will keep this on my todo-list, but starting
from minimal experience with lisp and none in debugging in emacs, I
wouldn't hold my breath. At least, now I know where to start though,
which is quite a step in the right direction.

@ 2011-05-09 20:54         ` Michael Brand
From: Michael Brand @ 2011-05-09 20:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Johnny; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Johnny

On Mon, May 9, 2011 at 20:34, Johnny <yggdrasil@gmx.co.uk> wrote:
> Thanks for the pointers. I will keep this on my todo-list, but starting
> from minimal experience with lisp and none in debugging in emacs

Ok, in this case one more pointer: For the first Edebug session I can
recommend the first and short chapter "Using Edebug" from
http://www.gnu.org/s/emacs/manual/html_node/elisp/Edebug.html
Then keep the other chapters for later reference.

Michael

* Re: Org table with long lines visibility
@ 2011-05-11  8:29 ` Carsten Dominik
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2011-05-11  8:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Johnny; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On May 4, 2011, at 7:48 PM, Johnny wrote:

> I have a table with ridiculously long lines, so I have limited them by
> putting '<N>' in the first row. To edit them, I use 'C-c `' to get the
> full text in a separate buffer, which works fine, especially together
> with 'longlines-mode'. However, browsing the table contents is very
> cumbersome, so I am wondering if there is any way to make the
> 'org-table-edit-field' to be permanently visible in a buffer,
> automatically updating while moving around in the table to view the full
> content of the current cell?  Similar to the way BBDB pops up and shows
> the sender in a separate buffer, if known.
>
> Any help and ideas appreciated! Thanks!

Hi Jonny,

this is a good idea, and it is now implemented.

C-u C-u C-c C-`

while the cursor is in a table turns on a special mode in
which the field editor window will follow the cursor through
the table.  You can use the editor window to see the field
contents, you can switch to the editor window, edit the
field and press C-c C-c to update the field in the table.

The mode can be turned off when executing the command
again: C-u C-u C-c `

Also, if the cursor leaves the table, the follow mode
automatically turns itself off, to avoid surprises in the
window setup when you enter another table.  If you prefer
to keep the mode on and suffer from possible side effects,
take a look at the new variable
`org-table-exit-follow-field-mode-when-leaving-table'.

HTH

- Carsten

* Re: Org table with long lines visibility
@ 2011-05-11  9:16   ` Michael Brand
From: Michael Brand @ 2011-05-11  9:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Johnny

Hi Carsten

Thank you for this extension. I appreciate the nice design with
switching off when leaving the table and especially that it works with
all moving commands, not limited to (S)-TAB/org-table-next-field or
other dedicated moving keys like the ones suggested earlier.

Michael

@ 2011-05-12  7:07   ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2011-05-12  7:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Johnny

> On May 4, 2011, at 7:48 PM, Johnny wrote:

[...]

>> cumbersome, so I am wondering if there is any way to make the
>> 'org-table-edit-field' to be permanently visible in a buffer,
>> automatically updating while moving around in the table to view the full
>> content of the current cell?  Similar to the way BBDB pops up and shows
>> the sender in a separate buffer, if known.
>>
>> Any help and ideas appreciated! Thanks!
>

> Hi Jonny,
>
> this is a good idea, and it is now implemented.

Carsten,

this is brilliant!  I have tried it out on a large table with columns
with long text and it works very well indeed.  Many thanks!

--
: Eric S Fraga (GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D) in Emacs 24.0.50.1
: using Org-mode version 7.5 (release_7.5.274.gd6aba)

* Re: Org table with long lines visibility
@ 2011-05-14 15:14   ` Johnny
From: Johnny @ 2011-05-14 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> On May 4, 2011, at 7:48 PM, Johnny wrote:
>
>> ... any way to make the 'org-table-edit-field' to be permanently
>> visible in a buffer, automatically updating while moving around in
>> the table to view the full content of the current cell?
>>

> this is a good idea, and it is now implemented.
>
> C-u C-u C-c C-`

Impressive Carsten, thanks a lot for the quick update, I have now
upgraded org to the development branch (apologies for the delay in
feedback) and tested the feature, and it works great!

A minor quirk is that if emptying a cell contents in the field editor
and pressing C-c C-c, the cursor will be moved to the next column, but
it would be more consistent to remain in the same cell as for any other
edits.

Finally, I'll take the opportunity to praise org-mode, a really really
outstanding tool for organisation and getting things done, although I
have barely scratched the surface yet! Great work, and many thanks!

@ 2011-05-26  6:40     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2011-05-26  6:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Johnny; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 14.5.2011, at 17:14, Johnny wrote:

> Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> On May 4, 2011, at 7:48 PM, Johnny wrote:
>>
>>> ... any way to make the 'org-table-edit-field' to be permanently
>>> visible in a buffer, automatically updating while moving around in
>>> the table to view the full content of the current cell?
>>>

>> this is a good idea, and it is now implemented.
>>
>> C-u C-u C-c C-`
>>

> Impressive Carsten, thanks a lot for the quick update, I have now
> upgraded org to the development branch (apologies for the delay in
> feedback) and tested the feature, and it works great!
>
> A minor quirk is that if emptying a cell contents in the field editor
> and pressing C-c C-c, the cursor will be moved to the next column, but
> it would be more consistent to remain in the same cell as for any other
> edits.

Yes, this was a bug, fixed now.  Thanks.

Regards

- Carsten