* Inheriting Properties
@ 2011-04-21 20:43 Dustin Lacewell
From: Dustin Lacewell @ 2011-04-21 20:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi, I'm a new org-mode user and I'm just starting to use it in a real
way. One feature that seems to be missing is the ability to specify
properties on a parent-node that are inherited by the children, but is
not applied to the parent itself. An example of where you might need
this is:

* Servers
   :PROPERTIES:
   :COLUMNS: %25ITEM %ip
   :END
** foo.example.com
   :PROPERTIES:
   :ip:x.x.x.x
   :END
** bar.example.com
   :PROPERTIES:
   :ip:x.x.x.x
   :END

If there was a way to apply the root properties to the children but
not the parent itself, then column mode would work as expected but
would not apply the columns specification to the "Servers" node where
it is not relevant. As it is now, each child-entry needs it's own
column specification.