emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
 help / color / mirror / code / Atom feed
* Re: Using orgmode to take "inline notes" for research
@ 2011-04-06  3:52 Rustom Mody
  2011-04-06  4:14 ` Samuel Wales
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 6+ messages in thread
From: Rustom Mody @ 2011-04-06  3:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Jeff Horn wrote
> Have you tried using org-inline-task without a TODO keyword? These super-deep "headlines" aren't
> treated as headlines, so they don't break doc structure, but they are foldable, and unlike COMMENT keyword headlines,
> they're printable. The only problem I've run into is have a lot to say in an inline note. In that case, one could just insert plaintext
> between the pseudo-headings of the inline note (try it to see what I mean).
> I haven't tried printing these long notes, but I imagine it would work.

My org-modules seems to have org-inlinetask
But I dont seem to see any of these variables available in my emacs

emacs version 23
org version 7.5

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 6+ messages in thread

* Re: Re: Using orgmode to take "inline notes" for research
  2011-04-06  3:52 Using orgmode to take "inline notes" for research Rustom Mody
@ 2011-04-06  4:14 ` Samuel Wales
  2011-04-06 16:13   ` John Hendy
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 6+ messages in thread
From: Samuel Wales @ 2011-04-06  4:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rustom Mody; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

I agree this is interesting.

Another option is an annotation mechanism with unbreakable
bidirectional links -- ID markers work for this.  You can stick the
markers anywhere.

If the thing to be annotated is read-only, I have other ideas.

Samuel

-- 
The Kafka Pandemic:
  http://thekafkapandemic.blogspot.com/2010/12/welcome-to-kafka-pandemic-two-forces_9182.html
I support the Whittemore-Peterson Institute (WPI)
===
I want to see the original (pre-hold) Lo et al. 2010 NIH/FDA/Harvard MRV paper.

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 6+ messages in thread

* Re: Re: Using orgmode to take "inline notes" for research
  2011-04-06  4:14 ` Samuel Wales
@ 2011-04-06 16:13   ` John Hendy
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 6+ messages in thread
From: John Hendy @ 2011-04-06 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Wales; +Cc: Rustom Mody, emacs-orgmode

On Tue, Apr 5, 2011 at 11:14 PM, Samuel Wales <samologist@gmail.com> wrote:
> I agree this is interesting.
>
> Another option is an annotation mechanism with unbreakable
> bidirectional links -- ID markers work for this.  You can stick the
> markers anywhere.

Heck yes -- this sounds *awesome*. Could you give an example? I'd be
interested in this regardless, as what I might export could, indeed,
have an insanely good use for links like this to go back and forth
between various places.

>
> If the thing to be annotated is read-only, I have other ideas.

Nope -- I grab the html, futz with it, massage it into a usable
org-mode file, and then use that for notes and export to PDF.


Thanks,
John

>
> Samuel
>
> --
> The Kafka Pandemic:
>  http://thekafkapandemic.blogspot.com/2010/12/welcome-to-kafka-pandemic-two-forces_9182.html
> I support the Whittemore-Peterson Institute (WPI)
> ===
> I want to see the original (pre-hold) Lo et al. 2010 NIH/FDA/Harvard MRV paper.
>
>

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 6+ messages in thread

* Re: Re: Using orgmode to take "inline notes" for research
  2011-04-07 15:33           ` Jeff Horn
@ 2011-04-07 15:48             ` John Hendy
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 6+ messages in thread
From: John Hendy @ 2011-04-07 15:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff Horn; +Cc: Sébastien Vauban, emacs-orgmode

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain, Size: 1482 bytes --]

On Thu, Apr 7, 2011 at 10:33 AM, Jeff Horn <jrhorn424@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2011/4/7 John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com>:
>> I can't have something set up right. I was doubtful that I was going
>> this source block thing right when Eric posted his suggestion for
>> notes in code blocks. So, I pasted this into my org-mode file and
>> evaluated it. Is that not what I'm supposed to do? At the top of the
>> resultant pdf, I get:
>> <snip>
>
> Try pasting Seb's code into the *scratch* buffer, not the org-mode
> buffer. Once you evaluate it in the scratch buffer, you should be to
> make inline-tasks/headlines as normal and export to pdf to get the
> style defined by the lisp code. From reading it, it should be the
> headline content in small caps, followed by a line return, and text
> notes.
>
> If you like it, you can add the customizations to an init file, or use
> the customize interface to set things up.

Something's still not right. This:
------
* Top headline
Some notes about this stuff to see how this custom export works! Some
notes about
this stuff to see how this custom export works!

*************** An inline section
Here's some text inside an inline section; let's see what the format
looks like on
export!
*************** END

Some notes about this stuff to see how this custom export works! Some
notes about
this stuff to see how this custom export works!
------

Is producing the attached.


John

>
> --
> Jeffrey Horn
> http://www.failuretorefrain.com/jeff/
>

[-- Attachment #2: test.pdf --]
[-- Type: application/pdf, Size: 58826 bytes --]

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 6+ messages in thread

* Re: Re: Using orgmode to take "inline notes" for research
  2011-04-07 15:26         ` John Hendy
@ 2011-04-07 15:33           ` Jeff Horn
  2011-04-07 15:48             ` John Hendy
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 6+ messages in thread
From: Jeff Horn @ 2011-04-07 15:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Hendy; +Cc: Sébastien Vauban, emacs-orgmode

2011/4/7 John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com>:
> I can't have something set up right. I was doubtful that I was going
> this source block thing right when Eric posted his suggestion for
> notes in code blocks. So, I pasted this into my org-mode file and
> evaluated it. Is that not what I'm supposed to do? At the top of the
> resultant pdf, I get:
> <snip>

Try pasting Seb's code into the *scratch* buffer, not the org-mode
buffer. Once you evaluate it in the scratch buffer, you should be to
make inline-tasks/headlines as normal and export to pdf to get the
style defined by the lisp code. From reading it, it should be the
headline content in small caps, followed by a line return, and text
notes.

If you like it, you can add the customizations to an init file, or use
the customize interface to set things up.

-- 
Jeffrey Horn
http://www.failuretorefrain.com/jeff/

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 6+ messages in thread

* Re: Re: Using orgmode to take "inline notes" for research
  2011-04-07  9:20       ` Sébastien Vauban
@ 2011-04-07 15:26         ` John Hendy
  2011-04-07 15:33           ` Jeff Horn
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 6+ messages in thread
From: John Hendy @ 2011-04-07 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sébastien Vauban; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

2011/4/7 Sébastien Vauban <wxhgmqzgwmuf@spammotel.com>:
> Hi Jeff,
>
>
> This is my current config for nice styling:
>
> #+begin_src emacs-lisp
>   <snip>
> #+end_src
>
> Customize to your own taste (and report back!)...

I can't have something set up right. I was doubtful that I was going
this source block thing right when Eric posted his suggestion for
notes in code blocks. So, I pasted this into my org-mode file and
evaluated it. Is that not what I'm supposed to do? At the top of the
resultant pdf, I get:
,---
| language=Lisp (setq org-inlinetask-default-state "TODO")
| ;; templates for inline tasks in various exporters (setq
org-inlinetask-export-templates ’((html "<pre
|  ̈
| class=ïnlinetask><b>’((unless (eq todo "") (format "<span class= ̈
lass todo todo priority)) heading
| c
| ----------and more------------
`---

Then my document is below. It does do *something* -- my inline note
changed from:
,-----
| *Inline headline* my notes on the first line which wrap to
|          more notes spilling onto second line, which wrap to
|          more notes onto a third line
`-----

to:
,-----
| [inline] *Inline headline* (and this is spread across the entire
width of the page)
| my notes on the first line which wrap to
| more notes spilling onto second line, which wrap to
| more notes onto a third line
`-----

What am I goofing up. Sorry, I've never used babel blocks like this!
Only for stuff like gnuplot, ditaa, etc. Is there something different
I should be doing to evaluate an elisp block that sets in-file
settings?


Thanks,
John


>
> Best regards,
>  Seb
>
> --
> Sébastien Vauban
>
>
>

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 6+ messages in thread

end of thread, other threads:[~2011-04-07 15:48 UTC | newest]

Thread overview: 6+ messages (download: mbox.gz / follow: Atom feed)
-- links below jump to the message on this page --
2011-04-06  3:52 Using orgmode to take "inline notes" for research Rustom Mody
2011-04-06  4:14 ` Samuel Wales
2011-04-06 16:13   ` John Hendy
  -- strict thread matches above, loose matches on Subject: below --
2011-04-06  2:02 John Hendy
2011-04-06  3:21 ` Jeff Horn
2011-04-06 16:33   ` John Hendy
2011-04-07  4:19     ` Jeff Horn
2011-04-07  9:20       ` Sébastien Vauban
2011-04-07 15:26         ` John Hendy
2011-04-07 15:33           ` Jeff Horn
2011-04-07 15:48             ` John Hendy

Code repositories for project(s) associated with this inbox:

	https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs/org-mode.git

This is a public inbox, see mirroring instructions
for how to clone and mirror all data and code used for this inbox;
as well as URLs for read-only IMAP folder(s) and NNTP newsgroup(s).