* installing the OpenDocumentText Exporter
@ 2011-06-13  2:47 Julian Burgos
From: Julian Burgos @ 2011-06-13  2:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs-orgmode

Apologies for the basic question.  I need some help installing the
OpenDocumentText Exporter using the ELPA (package manager).  I´ve
added the org-odt repository by adding this to my .emacs file:

(setq package-archives '(("ELPA" . "http://tromey.com/elpa/")
                         ("gnu" . "http://elpa.gnu.org/packages/")
						  ("org-odt" .
"http://repo.or.cz/w/org-mode/org-jambu.git/blob_plain/HEAD:/packages/")
						 ))

but the OpenDocumentText Exporter does not show up in the list of
available packages.  What I am missing?

Many thanks,

Julian

--
Julian Mariano Burgos
Hafrannsóknastofnunin/Marine Research Institute

* Re: installing the OpenDocumentText Exporter
@ 2011-06-13  4:21 ` Jambunathan K
From: Jambunathan K @ 2011-06-13  4:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julian Burgos; +Cc: Emacs-orgmode

Julian Burgos <jmburgos@uw.edu> writes:

> Apologies for the basic question.  I need some help installing the
> OpenDocumentText Exporter using the ELPA (package manager).  I´ve
> added the org-odt repository by adding this to my .emacs file:
>
> (setq package-archives '(("ELPA" . "http://tromey.com/elpa/")
>                          ("gnu" . "http://elpa.gnu.org/packages/")
> 						  ("org-odt" .
> "http://repo.or.cz/w/org-mode/org-jambu.git/blob_plain/HEAD:/packages/")
> 						 ))
>
> but the OpenDocumentText Exporter does not show up in the list of
> available packages.  What I am missing?

I am not sure what the problem could be at your end. Does the
archive-contents get downloaded succesfully? Are you able to see
packages from the other repos?

Does the package manager report any problems in the *Messages* buffer.

I ran M-x list-packages with the settings that you have. I see that
archive-contents file is getting succesfully downloaded.

I see the following line in the *Packages* buffer.

  org-odt	     20110519	  available  OpenDocumentText exporter for Orgmode

I see following lines in the *Messages* buffer:

Contacting host: tromey.com:80
Reading [text/plain]... 11k of 11k (100%)
Reading... done.
Saving file c:/Documents and Settings/kjambunathan/My Documents/My Data/.emacs.d/elpa/archives/ELPA/archive-contents...
Wrote c:/Documents and Settings/kjambunathan/My Documents/My Data/.emacs.d/elpa/archives/ELPA/archive-contents

Contacting host: elpa.gnu.org:80
Reading [text/plain]... 738 bytes of 726 bytes (102%)
Reading... done.
Saving file c:/Documents and Settings/kjambunathan/My Documents/My Data/.emacs.d/elpa/archives/gnu/archive-contents...
Wrote c:/Documents and Settings/kjambunathan/My Documents/My Data/.emacs.d/elpa/archives/gnu/archive-contents

Contacting host: repo.or.cz:80
Saving file c:/Documents and Settings/kjambunathan/My Documents/My Data/.emacs.d/elpa/archives/org-odt/archive-contents...
Wrote c:/Documents and Settings/kjambunathan/My Documents/My Data/.emacs.d/elpa/archives/org-odt/archive-contents

@ 2011-06-13 12:08   ` Julian Burgos
From: Julian Burgos @ 2011-06-13 12:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jambunathan K; +Cc: Emacs-orgmode

Hi

I don´t have the M-x list-packages option.  When I do M-x
package-list-packages I get a list of packages, but org-odt is not
there.  Not sure what is the problem.  I´m using emacs 23.3.1 in
windows xp.

In the meanwhile, could you explain me how to install org-odt "by
hand", using the conventional tar file?

Many thanks,

Julian

@ 2011-06-13 13:15     ` Jambunathan K
From: Jambunathan K @ 2011-06-13 13:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julian Burgos; +Cc: Emacs-orgmode

Julian Burgos <jmburgos@uw.edu> writes:

> Hi
>
> I don´t have the M-x list-packages option.  When I do M-x
> package-list-packages I get a list of packages, but org-odt is not
> there.  Not sure what is the problem.  I´m using emacs 23.3.1 in
> windows xp.

I am assuming that you are using a non-Emacs version of package.el. I
recommend that you use

1. This version of

http://repo.or.cz/w/emacs.git/blob_plain/1a0a666f941c99882093d7bd08ced15033bc3f0c:/lisp/emacs-lisp/package.el

if you are on Emacs-23

and

2. Delete hand installed package.el if you are on Emacs-24.

> In the meanwhile, could you explain me how to install org-odt "by
> hand", using the conventional tar file?

Let me know if you are still having issues after "upgrading" the
package.el.

I will share further instructions with you.

Jambunathan K.

@ 2011-06-13 16:14       ` Julian Burgos
From: Julian Burgos @ 2011-06-13 16:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jambunathan K; +Cc: Emacs-orgmode

Ah! That was it!  I got org-odt installed.